Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

I went through a fitting back home in Michigan this weekend at one of the top places in the US. They had every shaft/club head you could ask for! I've been having a tough time with my irons, so I figured I needed to find out if any of the issues were related to my current sticks. Turns out, 90% of my issues were the cause of the specs of my clubs!

Ultimately, after trying Ping i25, AP1/AP2, my X2 Hot Pros with a different shaft/lie, and Apex, the Apex were the resounding winner! This is no "internet golfer" exaggeration: at one point, I had hit five consecutive shots that were 1.67 yards apart from each other, and were only .6 yards off the center-line! Not once did I hit a draw/hook! Not once!

So, time to buy some Apex!!!

Every time I walk into a shop with demo, the Apex is one of the first thing I hit, my pondering is in overdrive, I'm just trying to find a slightly used set to pickup.

Another good day on the course with these. I wasn't quite a precise today as last weekend with these but man they are forgiving. Came out of a few and caught them low on the face but distance loss and accuracy was almost nil. They are so easy to hit and they still scream confidence over the ball. Super...super satisfied.

These irons were made for low on the face misses. They have completely changed my iron game.

Took my new apex out for 2 rounds this weekend. Ordered up a set of Apex 5-pw with Recoil 95 F3. Coming from the Recoil 680 F4, my whole ball flight and swing feels different. The height and apex of the shot is higher with the softer shaft which is what I was looking for while the weight allows me to know where the club is at during my swing. Going to take a few more rounds to get used to the new shafts but definitely worth the money I spent to get a new set with shafts that I much prefer.

These irons were made for low on the face misses. They have completely changed my iron game.

its pretty amazing really. I have probably come out of 10 or so shots on the course since I got them and I dont recall being punished like I should on any of them. The only negative effect is lack of green holding spin/height but distance and accuracy are not destroyed like in the past. I still have work to do but I have never been so confident over my irons as I have been the past 3 rounds of golf.

its pretty amazing really. I have probably come out of 10 or so shots on the course since I got them and I dont recall being punished like I should on any of them. The only negative effect is lack of green holding spin/height but distance and accuracy are not destroyed like in the past. I still have work to do but I have never been so confident over my irons as I have been the past 3 rounds of golf.

My usual miss is low on the face. I do it more than I'd care to admit during a round.

Agree on the lack of spin caused by the low miss. But, I tend to hit the ball high enough the I can still stop the ball on those misses. It's a tremendous combination for me.

My usual miss is low on the face. I do it more than I'd care to admit during a round.

Agree on the lack of spin caused by the low miss. But, I tend to hit the ball high enough the I can still stop the ball on those misses. It's a tremendous combination for me.

I have the same shafts in mine, first time I hit them today. Very happy. Very very happy! At least a club longer than my old irons (and that was with a crappy b330 rx the 2012 version) Will be longer with the tp x.

I have the same shafts in mine, first time I hit them today. Very happy. Very very happy! At least a club longer than my old irons (and that was with a crappy b330 rx the 2012 version) Will be longer with the tp x.

A club longer is awesome, not much in the complaint catagory for me when it comes to these amazing irons

Had a 147yd shot to the pin on #7 yesterday. Pulled a 9 iron, this was the result. These irons make me look good!!

(Yeah, made the birdie putt too. :banana:)

photo3_zps28ef93b6.jpg

photo2_zpsb7578f16.jpg

hey glock fan boy, those do look great in the bag, nice set up there

sidenote: just kidding about the fan boy part, i am becoming one myself these days.

well i have to say these are just great irons. got the tour V and ball stays on line just great. I hit it flush today with an easy swing, wonderful sound and great ball flight. 4,5 irons longer than previous irons, and pw, 9 irons a little shorter. the look over the ball with the club face is why you should consider, then throw in the feel/sound at impact and you will never look back

Glad you found something that works for you Gilly.

hey glock fan boy, those do look great in the bag, nice set up there

sidenote: just kidding about the fan boy part, i am becoming one myself these days.

I've either owned or shot probably every model made up until about 2010 or so. Even shot a G18 once. ;)

well i have to say these are just great irons. got the tour V and ball stays on line just great. I hit it flush today with an easy swing, wonderful sound and great ball flight. 4,5 irons longer than previous irons, and pw, 9 irons a little shorter. the look over the ball with the club face is why you should consider, then throw in the feel/sound at impact and you will never look back

Awesome thoughts, doesnt appear too many people have had bad things to say about these amazing irons

I've either owned or shot probably every model made up until about 2010 or so. Even shot a G18 once. ;)

Was a M&P guy for a while, but the glockness is taking over

I got a couple rounds under my belt with these irons and I have to say they are fantastic irons. They feel so soft and perform exceptionally. They are long and forgiving yet I have great feel with them. A perfect example today was; I had 144 from the fairway to the pin and took my 9 iron, choked down a little and put a nice smooth swing and knocked it to 5 feet for a birdie. The very next hole I had 147 from the rough, to an elevated green and I took my 9 iron out again and got after it a little and knocked it 15 feet past the pin for an easy 2 putt par. I just have a great feel with these and it's so easy to manipulate my distances with them. I did something similar later in the round with an 8 iron where I took something off and knocked it pin high. Just a great overall iron that oh, looks really sexy in the bag :D.

Hit some great shots with my Apex today. Me not being able to play very often has wrecked havoc on a few parts of my game, but iron play has been one that has stood the test of time. I can lately attribute that to the awesomeness that is the Apex irons.

My Apex arrived Thursday! Only one problem: wrong shaft!!! Ahhhh! So, I wait until Tuesday, or so, to get the correct ones. I can't wait. After only hitting 5 greens again today, I cannot wait to get irons in my hand that are not only the right shaft and lie angle, but that they're the Apex that have such great feel, distance and forgiveness.

Well, I just got back from my iron fitting. I hit a lot of different irons before my fitting and I can't stress enough: Get a proper fitting done before making a purchase!!

When all was said and done my pre-fitting testing had narrowed it down to the 714 AP1 and the Apex. Truthfully, I had hopped that the Apex irons would be in my bag for next year but they got beat by the AP1.

I first hit both the Apex and the AP1 6 irons with the new XP95 shaft. The numbers with these combos were:

Ball Speed = Apex 91.6, AP1 94.1
Launch Angle = Apex 19.9, AP1 20.3
Backspin = Apex 3894, AP1 4724
Carry = Apex 118.1, AP1 119.1
Decent Angle = Apex 40.3, AP1 43.5

With these numbers we stuck with the AP1 but did hit the Apex with a few different shafts as well. I'll keep the rest of this about the Apex and update the AP1 thread with the remaining data on the AP1s as that is what I'll be putting in my bag for 2014.

With the the standard KBS shafts I gained a tighter dispersion over the XP95 shaft but every shot was 20 yards left of target. The new KBS Tour V shafts gave me a much tighter dispersion, but I lost backspin and cary distance. The recoil shaft was the best combo with the Apex head for me. I averaged 120 yards but it only raised the backspin to 4072 rpms and it had a shallower decent angle which is what was giving me the extra distance.

I hate Sims so I can't judge turf interaction.
I want to get real life opinions only. I don't care that much about reading mostly about this distance vs that distance. I get a loaner set next week.
I'm a big guy but people expect huge distance & stiff irons.
Nope.
I'm 155-160 with regular flex steel.
I love the info from this long thread.
But reading back this guys quote above makes no sense??
Did he really take a modern juiced apex vs strong titleist 714 ap1 & decide on which to buy when they both went 119 yds?
Buy a $75 garage sale set & Put the other grand in savings towards the lessons u need. I play in men's league & even the old timers with disabilities are hitting 6 irons at least 140. 118 yds apex? There's no need to compare irons they will all go extremely short. It's not meant to be offensive I just don't get why anyone that short should be worried over this iron vs that iron.

I'll post on here when I get real life swings and rounds under my belt.

I want to get real life opinions only. I don't care that much about reading mostly about this distance vs that distance. I get a loaner set next week.
Nope.
Did he really take a modern juiced apex vs strong titleist 714 ap1 & decide on which to buy when they both went 119 yds?
Buy a $75 garage sale set & Put the other grand in savings towards the lessons u need. I play in men's league & even the old timers with disabilities are hitting 6 irons at least 140. 118 yds apex? There's no need to compare irons they will all go extremely short. It's not meant to be offensive I just don't get why anyone that short should be worried over this iron vs that iron.

Thanks for your valuable opinion. This is the Apex thread, the great thread you love you say, so why clog it with, no offense but, worthless bullcrap like this. I've seen this guy play and those numbers arent what I normally see from him. Would you rather have him claim a 200 yard 6 iron instead? Come on man, let's move on.

Nope.

This post is just wow. I would like to say a few things but wont say exactly what I would like to.
I will say you nor anyone else has any business worrying about anyone's numbers but your own. The numbers don't matter the person behind the numbers does. Golf is not about who can hit it the farthest. To me it is not even about who shoots the lowest scores it is about the company you keep on the golf course and the great friendships that form over the internet because of a love for the game among other things. If you cant recognize that then I am sorry but those are the best parts about the game we all love.

Just ordered my Apex irons this morning and look forward to providing a review soon hopefully!

Just ordered my Apex irons this morning and look forward to providing a review soon hopefully!

nice, congrats and looking forward to your feedback.

Congrats, you will love them. I love more and more each time I play with them. This is the first time in my life where I have not had some sort of buyers remorse.

I love my apex irons, so much this is my second set. First came with 680 F4 shafts that just didn't seem right for me. Current set has 95 F3 shafts and it's a night and day difference for me. Ego is in check and cast aside and the F3 (regular) flex helps me to maintain a nice smooth swing and tempo. Irons are still going the same distance just not swinging 100%. Results can speak for themselves.

Back