Altering lie angle on 'cast' irons?

loopforever

Reaction score
Hi all,

I haven't played golf in about ten years, but I'm looking to get back into it. I know that typically one would get fitted for clubs prior to purchasing them, but I came across a new set of TM R11 irons that were too cheap to pass up - so I bought them. Anyway, I intend to get fitted next weekend and have any necessary changes made to the clubs at that time.

I stopped into two stores that do fittings today, just to ask some questions. When I asked about adjusting the lie angle of the clubs, Shop A told me that they cannot adjust the lie angle of the R11 irons. Shop B told me it would be no problem.

The R11 irons are cast, not forged, so the steel is not as workable. Anyway, I assume the majority of folks are using cast clubs, so I was surprised to hear Shop A tell me they couldn't do it. At the same time, I don't want to take a chance bringing the clubs to Shop B if the adjustment would damage the integrity of the hosel.

I suspect the answer to the question involves knowing the type of steel the clubs are composed of, some being harder than others. Regardless, can the lie angle of a cast stainless steel club be altered?

(Bonus points if anyone can point me at marketing materials or specs for R11 irons that clarify its composition!)

Thanks very much in advance!

- Matt

Not true at all. It will take a very good club maker or adjuster and some patients but you can in fact have the lie angle adjusted. I had the lie angle adjusted on mine, I was a bit up right.

Not true at all. It will take a very good club maker or adjuster and some patients but you can in fact have the lie angle adjusted. I had the lie angle adjusted on mine, I was a bit up right.
Same here, had mine adjusted. They can be adjusted easily in my experience from being there and watching them do it. Of course I only had to have it adjusted 1*

You can only move Cast irons so far, so much, so many times. Then they ruined.

companies like Ping do thousands of cast iron lie adjustments. Definitely doable, but be careful how far you push it.

Dont mater of material, 2* loft and/or angle. Anyone who does club repair should be able, if they say they can't go elsewhere

Sent from my DROID X2

Shop A just refused I'm sure out of liability concerns. One or two mistakes/bad experiences is all it takes.

Echoing others, I've routinely read that it's recommended to bend cast clubs no more than 2*, 4* for forged, iirc.

It can be done but they need to be careful maybe the first shop doesnt want to take the risk on them.

The main place here will do cast irons, but it costs a little more and they do have the legal disclaimer that they aren't at fault for any damage. The newer cast clubs are much better than the old so can be adjusted more safely than they used to be.

Dont mater of material, 2* loft and/or angle. Anyone who does club repair should be able, if they say they can't go elsewhere

Sent from my DROID X2

Don't leave to fast. Some heads are manufactured with the shaft slightly at an angle. Off hand can't remember specifics but I think some of the Cleveland's are this way.
Some folks, with me being one, would rather not take the risk. If you break a head you name is mud even if you replace it.

hackin

There is a little more to it than your response.

There is a little more to it than your response.

Shop A just refused I'm sure out of liability concerns. One or two mistakes/bad experiences is all it takes.

Echoing others, I've routinely read that it's recommended to bend cast clubs no more than 2*, 4* for forged, iirc.

I build, fit, and repair clubs. It's not that company A says no, they will not do the lie adjustment on a cast head. They don't know, and the owner does not know, (in 99% of the cases), how many times, if ever, this head has been adjusted. If it's been adjusted 3 or so times and if it was adjusted in opposite directions (+ and then -, or visa verse) there is no telling if it'll take another bend without breaking. It's just metallurgy and plain old physics, not a shops mere reluctance to do an adjustment. There is a true science to this work.
DocHaley
FORE! Play Golf

They can be adjust but cast are more difficult than forged

They can be adjust but cast are more difficult than forged

This can be very much dependent on shape and metal and far less about the creation process.

You can do it but you need to have someone who knows what they are doing and you still can adjust them only a small amount. With most cast irons, which are made of more brittle metals, its very easy to snap them if you try to adjust them too much or dont know what youre doing.

I think it also depends a bit on how "busy" the cavity is. The Nike Machspeed/VRS clubs with the "powerbow" or whatever it was called couldn't be bent, but I was told that I could have the irons I have now (JPX 825) bent a degree or two in either direction. There are some cast irons made with relatively soft metal (as compared to 17-4 stainless, which a lot of cast clubs are made from), and those would be easier to bend.

I have a feeling shop A could have and would have done it if you had been standing there ready to purchase something they had in stock and it needed tweaked a bit...

Back