Orlando Custom Fitting

mtl430

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey there! First post and I figure I would start off with a question related to fitting in the Orlando area.

I have decided to get fit for a complete set of clubs. I am looking for the upper end of the fitting scale and have ruled out Club Champion more because I believe they are great fitters, however, I would like the chance to hit the clubs outside also. So that brings me to the three companies I have listed below. I also am open to others companies that fit in this criteria. I am a "beginner" so I appreciate constructive criticism and insight. I average a +30 handicap and have only broken 100 a few times using my 15 year old + Bubble Burners. Game Improvement Clubs!

1. Randy Doucette at Marriott golf academy (Nick Faldo) - Approximately $350 for complete bag fitting. Using Trackman and indoor/outdoor with most major brands to try out.

2. Ping N'FLight Celebration Golf Academy - Approximately $195 for complete bag fitting. Using Trackman and indoor/outdoor. Only caveat is only fit for Ping. Although really interested in the Ping G30's.

3. Taylor Made Performance Lab (Grand Cypress) - $400 for complete bag fitting. Using Trackman and also indoor/outdoor fitting. Again only fit for taylor made products.

Thanks and look forward to responses.

I would go with option 1 just because it is open to all brands. I have seen the Ping fitting studio and it looks incredible, but I wouldn't want to limit myself to only 1 brand options. You have to pick what is best for you and that could lead to several brands in your bag.

What part of Orlando are you in? I know you are interested in doing an outside fitting, but I have had good experiences with the pro's over at the Edwin Watts on Sandlake. I typically deal with the club builder Eddie there, but the other guys in the store are pretty good as well. You can also check out some of the demo days that come through all the time through Orlando.

If you have any interest in Callaway the Anika academy is a great option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Will call over and get some info on their fitting. I had ruled them out because I have read that they were having financial issues and didn't want to take chances or be pushed towards one brand or the other because they may have more inventory (heads) in stock. I am sure I am over thinking it but just being candid.

I live in the Lake Nona area!

If you have any interest in Callaway the Anika academy is a great option.

I have heard good things about the Anika academy also, just have never looked into Callaway.

In my opinion the apex and x2hot lines offer great choices for all golfers.

I considered club champion at first. I then went to golfsmith and hit different drivers and irons. In my case, Callaway gave me the best feel.

Based on my novice feedback I chose Callaway and got a proper fitting.

So far so good with the X2hot driver. Hopefully I'll have the irons soon.

Thanks! Will call over and get some info on their fitting. I had ruled them out because I have read that they were having financial issues and didn't want to take chances or be pushed towards one brand or the other because they may have more inventory (heads) in stock. I am sure I am over thinking it but just being candid.

I live in the Lake Nona area!

That isn't too far from where I work. EW was purchased by another company so they are in a much better place. They closed a few stores before they made the sale, but now all seems to be much better.

I will second the Anika Academy. Her sister Charlotta teaches over there and is fantastic from the stories I have heard. A guy I play with will be caddying for her when she makes her run back on the LPGA. Callaway makes some great clubs. I grew up playing the 94' and 96' big bertha irons. My dad, uncle, and grandfather all still play the 96' versions. Look like shovels at address but they are incredibly forgiving and very long.

You could always contact the proshop at Lake Nona and Celebration as well. I am not sure if they do fittings, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

I would say go to somewhere like EW, I went to the one on Turkey Lake (same one Mongo said) and had very good results. I tried a lot of different brands and wasn't pushed into any of them. Also the fitting was free since I was buying the irons. In your case your a high handicapper who's more than likely gonna get better and to me spending over $300 extra for clubs I would use that money towards lessons first.

I didn't know that EW was bought out. That gives me more assurance. I definitely like the idea when they don't push on a product. I'm ready to expect and spend around 3K for a set, but want to make sure it is for "me". I don't have the money to redo this every few years. lol

Also I am surprised nobody has commented on the Randy Doucette guy. I thought he was really well know. That was why I had him on my list also.

Thanks for the recommendations so far!

I have not personally heard of the Marriott academy. The only thing that came up on google search was in CA. Is it over at grand pines? I found an article about it being a top 100 fitting location, but couldn't really find links to their page.

I have heard good things about the Anika academy also, just have never looked into Callaway.

I'll second Ag2979's vote with the understanding that a single brand fitting may not be the best for you. I had a full bag fitting at the Annika Academy back in May, and Dave there did a fantastic job with me. I think they charge $150 per the website, but they will occasionally run specials that make it cheaper (I paid $100).

I didn't know that EW was bought out. That gives me more assurance. I definitely like the idea when they don't push on a product. I'm ready to expect and spend around 3K for a set, but want to make sure it is for "me". I don't have the money to redo this every few years. lol

Also I am surprised nobody has commented on the Randy Doucette guy. I thought he was really well know. That was why I had him on my list also.

Thanks for the recommendations so far!

I would truly spend $500 on lessons $500 on a set of clubs and go from there for now. A $3000 set of clubs will not lower your handicap, practice and lessons will.

I would truly spend $500 on lessons $500 on a set of clubs and go from there for now. A $3000 set of clubs will not lower your handicap, practice and lessons will.

I 100% believe that you have a point there with the lessons. Even though my ability to swing the new clubs may not be there, the thought of having new clubs, bags, etc., will only cause me to enjoy the game more.

I have not personally heard of the Marriott academy. The only thing that came up on google search was in CA. Is it over at grand pines? I found an article about it being a top 100 fitting location, but couldn't really find links to their page.

It used to be a nick faldo golf academy. http://www.marriottgolfacademy.com. The Master club fitter is the Doucette guy. It is located at Marriott's Grande Vista in Orlando, Florida

I 100% believe that you have a point there with the lessons. Even though my ability to swing the new clubs may not be there, the thought of having new clubs, bags, etc., will only cause me to enjoy the game more.
That's why I said buy new clubs but if you spend $3000 on a new set right now in your ability whoever sells them to you is just plain dishonest. You could go get last years model clubs fit for you at any golf store like Dicks, EW, GS or GG and enjoy the hell out of them. Also you should be looking into game improvement clubs which are usually a lot cheaper than "pro" style clubs and for that reason you could get a great set for wayyyyyyyyy below a grand. And as for enjoying the game more, not so much cause you'll have a $3000 set of clubs and be wondering why your not scoring well. The other problem is you still have swing flaws that need to be fixed and getting clubs fit for that do nothing for your swing flaws. Look it's your money I just hate to see people make mistakes. Good luck in either thing you decide.

That's why I said buy new clubs but if you spend $3000 on a new set right now in your ability whoever sells them to you is just plain dishonest. You could go get last years model clubs fit for you at any golf store like Dicks, EW, GS or GG and enjoy the hell out of them. Also you should be looking into game improvement clubs which are usually a lot cheaper than "pro" style clubs and for that reason you could get a great set for wayyyyyyyyy below a grand. And as for enjoying the game more, not so much cause you'll have a $3000 set of clubs and be wondering why your not scoring well. The other problem is you still have swing flaws that need to be fixed and getting clubs fit for that do nothing for your swing flaws. Look it's your money I just hate to see people make mistakes. Good luck in either thing you decide.

I definitely agree with this. I have put together full sets including bag for under $500 and those are with brand new stuff. I have also built several players iron sets that were barely used for well under that mark.

Hey guys want to say thanks for the advice. I totally understand the lesson thing and that the mechanics of my playing ability might change. I am as my wife would say "hard headed" so I am sure the new clubs will be in the bag within the next few weeks. However, I haven't ruled out some lessons that may follow.

Hey guys want to say thanks for the advice. I totally understand the lesson thing and that the mechanics of my playing ability might change. I am as my wife would say "hard headed" so I am sure the new clubs will be in the bag within the next few weeks. However, I haven't ruled out some lessons that may follow.

To each his own. It is your money. Hope it works out.

Completely understand brother. We all like shiny new things...At least I know I will.
I dont think anybody here would dissuade you from that. What I will say is that I am not sure the fitting is required at this point, but that is personal opinion. A fitting helps far more with a repeatable swing because outside of that, they are fitting based on something that changes and has variables every other time.

Get the new sticks, enjoy the heck out of them and let us know how they work for you.

Completely understand brother. We all like shiny new things...At least I know I will.
I dont think anybody here would dissuade you from that. What I will say is that I am not sure the fitting is required at this point, but that is personal opinion. A fitting helps far more with a repeatable swing because outside of that, they are fitting based on something that changes and has variables every other time.

Get the new sticks, enjoy the heck out of them and let us know how they work for you.

I will definitely do an update after getting fit for the clubs. The money thing is pretty irrelevant to me if I am enjoying myself. I have learned from past experiences that whatever hobby I get into I at least want the best equipment for that hobby. Some things last some don't, but I always enjoyed myself while doing it and never looked back. By know means am I saying that I am rich, but for me 3-4k for a set of clubs is peanuts compared to some of the other hobbies I have gotten into.

I completely understand that, what I was referring to was that getting "fit" without a repeatable swing may not help you at all. If you want to spend thousands on them for confidence, have at it, as mentioned new things are fun. You might have more fun picking out the stuff you love the look of the best, and then in 6 months after you have been completely bitten by the bug, replacing them with what you think is best suited for you.

Im all for knowledge and education to help the golfer, just offering my advice after not only doing them, but being through dozens of fittings in the last 2 years at every facility you are speaking of heading to.

What course do you play out of?

What course do you play out of?

North Shore and Eagle Creek are played. Actually walked 6 holes at North Shore this evening because they locked the carts up early. Won't do that again. Whew!!!

North Shore and Eagle Creek are played. Actually walked 6 holes at North Shore this evening because they locked the carts up early. Won't do that again. Whew!!!
Just played Eagle Creek yesterday, great course.

Just played Eagle Creek yesterday, great course.

Eagle Creek is definitely a fun course. Kind of like it a little better than North Shore, but for the price and quality of the greens you can't beat NS.

Back