Anyone else give up on the SLDR?

I hated the SLDR everytime I have tried it indoors. I hit it one time one the range and loved it and am in serious ponder mode.

I like the black tie in the R1 but would be looking for a more mid launch/spin shaft for the SLDR.

I hated the SLDR everytime I have tried it indoors. I hit it one time one the range and loved it and am in serious ponder mode.

I like the black tie in the R1 but would be looking for a more mid launch/spin shaft for the SLDR.

What changed?

Numbers don't lie.

Edit: I'm assuming by indoors you mean on some sort of monitor.

I loved the R1.
I hate the SLDR

The story of anybody who misses the sweet spot on the reg like I do.

I demoed the SLDR and didn't like it.

I hit Philly Golf Guy's in OC and I CRUSHED it.

Definitely the indian and not the arrow.

I do really like my Bio Cell though.

OP, forgive me if it were already discussed- were you fit into the head and the shaft at the same fitting, or fit into the Black Tie shaft in another head? I know you had said you fit into the driver shaft at a fitting last fall, I'm assuming before the SLDR was released? (Please, I'm not trying to be contrarian or nit pick, just asking some questions that popped in my head while reading your post.) A fitting doesn't generally yield a shaft result that will be "the one" across the board regardless of head (though I will admit a good fitting should give you a short list of models/ types of launch profiles that generally will suit your swing moving forward). The general process I am used to seeing is finding a head that yields best results, fine tuning loft (and other adjustments), then fine tuning those results with a shaft (generally speaking. Of course more goes into it that just three simple steps and different fitters will utilize different methods, but these are the basic fitting variables). The SLDR is such a unique head in terms of launch/ spin characteristics, that it makes fitting it very unique. It sounds to me like the Black Tie/ SLDR head was a terrible fit for your swing (in the SLDR, anyways). I'm not on the SLDR bandwagon, and don't mean to be Debbie Downer- I know more people that don't fit well into the SLDR versus all other options than those that do. You've found a combo that works for your swing, nothing wrong with it not being the "latest and greatest". I just wouldn't be surprised if a true fitting with the SLDR might yield a different loft and shaft combination than you are accustomed to playing. I am not trying to insinuate that a properly fitter SLDR would perform better for you than any other well fit driver, most specifically the R1 you seem to be loving right now.

What changed?

Numbers don't lie.

Edit: I'm assuming by indoors you mean on some sort of monitor.

Probably a couple of factors. One could have been the shaft. Really though I always hit better outdoors than I do on an indoor monitor. Probably a mental thing but it is a night and day difference for me.

For me, the shaft is where I always need to start as I am very tough to fit a driver shaft to. It came down to 3 shafts that seemed to work well with my swing, the Black Tie, Ahina and Prolaunch Red (the old one). The best numbers by far of the 3 was the Matrix Black Tie. From there, I have found some driver heads that work well with it, but nothing has come even remotely close to the R1. The SLDR may work for me with a different shaft, but I know this shaft for me is ideal as it is low spin, low torque and has served me fairly well. Not really looking to start exploring other shaft options when I know I have been fitted to three shafts that all work well for me.

The main reason I am switching was I have been looking for a little more forgiveness and a lower launch. The SLDR gave me a lower launch and spin numbers, but was wildly uncontrollable. It got so bad last weekend that I was hitting 3 wood off most tees because I was terrified of the driver. I knew I was making good swings, just the results weren't there for me. The guys that play in our weekly skins game were offering me $50 bucks for it. (lol) They know I was having a bad week or two with this thing. I then took out my Super LS and was hitting that well with my Black Tie (I have 2, one in the Super LS Adapter and the TM adapter). Just not as much distance as it should be. I gamed it for most of last fall and it served me well.

The difference was scary when I went to the range. I knew almost immediately that it was a better fit. It felt better, had great trajectory, and hit bombs when I hit it on the screws. Can't wait for this weekends skins game!!

OP, forgive me if it were already discussed- were you fit into the head and the shaft at the same fitting, or fit into the Black Tie shaft in another head? I know you had said you fit into the driver shaft at a fitting last fall, I'm assuming before the SLDR was released? (Please, I'm not trying to be contrarian or nit pick, just asking some questions that popped in my head while reading your post.) A fitting doesn't generally yield a shaft result that will be "the one" across the board regardless of head (though I will admit a good fitting should give you a short list of models/ types of launch profiles that generally will suit your swing moving forward). The general process I am used to seeing is finding a head that yields best results, fine tuning loft (and other adjustments), then fine tuning those results with a shaft (generally speaking. Of course more goes into it that just three simple steps and different fitters will utilize different methods, but these are the basic fitting variables). The SLDR is such a unique head in terms of launch/ spin characteristics, that it makes fitting it very unique. It sounds to me like the Black Tie/ SLDR head was a terrible fit for your swing (in the SLDR, anyways). I'm not on the SLDR bandwagon, and don't mean to be Debbie Downer- I know more people that don't fit well into the SLDR versus all other options than those that do. You've found a combo that works for your swing, nothing wrong with it not being the "latest and greatest". I just wouldn't be surprised if a true fitting with the SLDR might yield a different loft and shaft combination than you are accustomed to playing. I am not trying to insinuate that a properly fitter SLDR would perform better for you than any other well fit driver, most specifically the R1 you seem to be loving right now.

Yes . I was fit to the shaft prior to the SLDR. Actually, 3 heads were suggested at the time (R11S, R1, Super LS) I started with the R11S and had good results with it. Then I tried the Super LS and it was an even better fit. (admittedly, I am a bit of a driver ho.) This winter, I proceeded to quit drinking diet coke and dropped over 45lbs and got a bit stronger. The Super LS just didn't feel the same. The SLDR was then given a chance 2 weeks ago and thankfully, I found the R1. My handicap went from a low of 2.9 last summer to a 3.7 as of today. Too many missed fairways and recovery shots. Last night felt so great that it felt like last summer again.

I agree, a full fitting would likely show the SLDR being a better fit with a different shaft, but I am not hurting for distance at all. My issue is ball flight and accuracy. I need something that is stiff, low torque and keeps the ball from ballooning, getting caught in the wind and blown off the fairway. If I know the shaft feels good and I have confidence in the combo, I am ok with a little less distance. I was looking for a easy fit by using the TM adapter and moving it into the SLDR. Got the SLDR adapter and off I went . No bueno. Only time it felt great was when I swung really hard and made a perfect pass at it. The club has its place I am sure. But it was interesting that the launch monitor numbers showed an ideal launch and spin combo with the R1.

The 3 options I tried last night were SLDR 9.5, SLDR 10.5 and the R1 (all with same shaft MBT). The 9.5 was 258 avg for 5 balls, the 10.5 was 276 avg. for 5 balls. R1 was 297 avg for 5 balls (set to standard 10). The accuracy was the deciding factor for me. Dispersion on the 9.5 was 23 yds., 10.5 was 26 yds, R1 was 9 yards. The longest ball on the "monitor" claimed to have went 332 (I don't believe the distance model entirely, but it is a measurement!)

For me, it was a no brainer.

Yes . I was fit to the shaft prior to the SLDR. Actually, 3 heads were suggested at the time (R11S, R1, Super LS) I started with the R11S and had good results with it. Then I tried the Super LS and it was an even better fit. (admittedly, I am a bit of a driver ho.) This winter, I proceeded to quit drinking diet coke and dropped over 45lbs and got a bit stronger. The Super LS just didn't feel the same. The SLDR was then given a chance 2 weeks ago and thankfully, I found the R1. My handicap went from a low of 2.9 last summer to a 3.7 as of today. Too many missed fairways and recovery shots. Last night felt so great that it felt like last summer again.

I agree, a full fitting would likely show the SLDR being a better fit with a different shaft, but I am not hurting for distance at all. My issue is ball flight and accuracy. I need something that is stiff, low torque and keeps the ball from ballooning, getting caught in the wind and blown off the fairway. If I know the shaft feels good and I have confidence in the combo, I am ok with a little less distance. I was looking for a easy fit by using the TM adapter and moving it into the SLDR. Got the SLDR adapter and off I went . No bueno. Only time it felt great was when I swung really hard and made a perfect pass at it. The club has its place I am sure. But it was interesting that the launch monitor numbers showed an ideal launch and spin combo with the R1.

The 3 options I tried last night were SLDR 9.5, SLDR 10.5 and the R1 (all with same shaft MBT). The 9.5 was 258 avg for 5 balls, the 10.5 was 276 avg. for 5 balls. R1 was 297 avg for 5 balls (set to standard 10). The accuracy was the deciding factor for me. Dispersion on the 9.5 was 23 yds., 10.5 was 26 yds, R1 was 9 yards. The longest ball on the "monitor" claimed to have went 332 (I don't believe the distance model entirely, but it is a measurement!)

Glad you found something that works for ya. You happen to know the spin numbers for those drives you hit with the monitor?

I don't. They said the R1 was ideal launch and spin. I know the SLDRs were both lower spin and launch, even when we tweaked the loft.

For me, the shaft is where I always need to start as I am very tough to fit a driver shaft to. It came down to 3 shafts that seemed to work well with my swing, the Black Tie, Ahina and Prolaunch Red (the old one). The best numbers by far of the 3 was the Matrix Black Tie. From there, I have found some driver heads that work well with it, but nothing has come even remotely close to the R1. The SLDR may work for me with a different shaft, but I know this shaft for me is ideal as it is low spin, low torque and has served me fairly well. Not really looking to start exploring other shaft options when I know I have been fitted to three shafts that all work well for me.

The main reason I am switching was I have been looking for a little more forgiveness and a lower launch. The SLDR gave me a lower launch and spin numbers, but was wildly uncontrollable. It got so bad last weekend that I was hitting 3 wood off most tees because I was terrified of the driver. I knew I was making good swings, just the results weren't there for me. The guys that play in our weekly skins game were offering me $50 bucks for it. (lol) They know I was having a bad week or two with this thing. I then took out my Super LS and was hitting that well with my Black Tie (I have 2, one in the Super LS Adapter and the TM adapter). Just not as much distance as it should be. I gamed it for most of last fall and it served me well.

The difference was scary when I went to the range. I knew almost immediately that it was a better fit. It felt better, had great trajectory, and hit bombs when I hit it on the screws. Can't wait for this weekends skins game!!
To me the head is the most improtant part of a driver that is where you can make bigger diffrences the shaft is more about fine tuning i try to match heads to shafts not the other way around for me the SLDR is a beast with a Tour Green 65 but my Fuel out of my R1 in it makes it feel harsh and gives me a very low traj

I agree, dispersion>distance all day long! I will gladly give up 10-15 yards to be able to hit my second shots from short grass anyday of the week. This is why the initial interview by the fitter is so important, it lets them know what you're hoping to accomplish in the fitting- more distance, more control, etc. At the end of the day, though, if the R1 is working for you, enjoy it and don't look back.

I hit it terrible indoors, I hit it terrible at 10.5, but I love it outdoors at 12*. I had the R1 before and really liked it, but see more consistency and distance with the SLDR, fit into the Kal'i shaft.

It's my favorite club in the bag.

I can see many giving up on this club and maybe the different shaft helped me a lot, but it some how works for me, so I won't question it all that much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hit it terrible indoors, I hit it terrible at 10.5, but I love it outdoors at 12*. I had the R1 before and really liked it, but see more consistency and distance with the SLDR, fit into the Kal'i shaft.

It's my favorite club in the bag.

I can see many giving up on this club and maybe the different shaft helped me a lot, but it some how works for me, so I won't question it all that much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That was the shaft I tried it outdoors with. I have hit the stock and tp inside multiple times and haven't cared for them, but I really liked what I saw on the range with that combo.

Another good range session tonight. Getting more comfortable with the feel and it is very easy to hit. A decent swing and it just goes. I feel confident with it and feel I can hit any fairway with it.

I gave up one mine , at least a half dozen other guys at our club have done the same. I found it great when hit on the sweet spot , ever thing thing TM promised . When not hit on the screws it has very poor results. I took advantage of the don't like it return it for full money back guarantee that was 6 weeks ago still waiting for my money !!
Come on Taylormade need it before my G30 comes in.
gb

i have had a 10.5 SLDR, then a 14 and got rid of them, I then tried the SDLRs in 14 and I am having better results, it might be in the mind, but I fell its easier to hit than than the original SLDR, but to me I feel my mishits are not as punishing and I am hitting it much better than the original SLDR

Played 9 last night with the new setup and hit driver anywhere I could. I hit 5 of 7 fairways and the 2 misses were in an ideal spot (actually, one drove it too long through the turn in the fairway. Shot 1 over par (my best 9 of the season)

I think I found the right mix. Now I got to stay off of here before something new and shiny catches my eye...

I've hit it with the Black Tie and completely hated it. I really love mine with the stock shaft or an Oban Devotion.

I've hit the SLDR numerous times at the range and other golf shops and I"m hoping to be able to put it into my bag at some point. Although with the G30 coming out, I may have to give that a whirl first. I have heard about the issues when not hitting the sweet spot. I liken it a lot to the R11S that I game now. My sweet spot hits are great and my misses are ugly. Luckily....I tend to hit it fairly close to the sweet spot on a fairly consistent basis. But where the club face is pointing is a whole different subject!

I recently purchased the SLDR and put in my Matrix Black Tie (per my driver fitting last fall). I hit the ball OK, but felt it wasn't as good as my Adams Super LS w/ the Matrix in it. I tend to spin the hell out of my driver and that is why I have been in low spin heads/shafts for ever. Drives were all over the place, just didn't feel right to me. I tried it in the 9.5 and the 10.5 and both felt terrible to me. I had it up for sale here since Sunday, but then realized that my golf retailer has a 90 day playability guarantee. Why sell it when I can get full retail ($399+tax it turned out)

I went to our local golf store and was trying other options and the fitter suggested the R1 as a trial with the Black Tie. I kinda was skeptical that the R1 was the answer, but I had good success with the R11S in the past, so why not try it. I think the SLDR may have been too low spin for the combo I was trying.

Well, to my surprise, it was a match made in heaven. I am hitting the ball the best I have all year (it was that noticeable a difference) and it was way longer than the SLDR. According to the fitter, it was a fairly common occurrence for SLDRs to be returned and switched to the older R1. I was making good swings and was killing it. I purposely made a poor swing (when I hit it bad, I get lazy on my turn and hook it. To my surprise, contact was still good and the hook minimized.

The kicker was I got a $400+ merchandise credit and purchased a $159 R1, 2 dozen balls (Tour Preferred X), 3 footjoy gloves, a pair of rain gloves, a Taylormade microfiber towel, and a chipping mat for my 11yr old son. The best part is I feel like I now have a driver I can keep in play and hit long. I took it to the range and was hitting it into the trees at the end of our range on the fly (our range is 270 to the tree line). So most likely was hitting it 280+ with range balls.

Can't wait til the weekend comes!!!

Which Black Tie shaft were you using? I hated the SLDR with the stock shaft, but with the TP Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 6.3 it is an absolute beast for me. I needed the heavier shaft to really feel like I could control the SLDR.

I have the SLDR 10.5* with the Black Tie 6m3 stiff in it. I had it at the 10.5* mark for a long time but recently upped it to the 12* and I am hitting a lot better. I am getting longer average distances and because the face was closed with the increased loft, I am not slicing as much. Really starting to like it more now that I increased the loft. I was at a 9.5* to 10* with my R11s and stock shaft and I blasted that thing. SLDR at 12* with the 6m3 is getting closer to where I was at with the R11s, I just need to better my swing.

Back