Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

This post is just wow. I would like to say a few things but wont say exactly what I would like to.
I will say you nor anyone else has any business worrying about anyone's numbers but your own. The numbers don't matter the person behind the numbers does. Golf is not about who can hit it the farthest. To me it is not even about who shoots the lowest scores it is about the company you keep on the golf course and the great friendships that form over the internet because of a love for the game among other things. If you cant recognize that then I am sorry but those are the best parts about the game we all love.

I get that each should play his game & as long as you know your yardage & gaps what the next guy hits doesn't matter. I play with better players than me & get tired getting asked what I hit. Example 140 I'll hit an 8 iron.
Then they reply "wow I hit my pw".
Argh! Play your own game.
I get it.
I also get that I typed out on my smart phone quickly without a filter.
I said the classic I don't want to offend then offended. Sorry. I'm not here to inflame.

I thought 119 for a 6 was extremely short.

If your 6 goes 119? Then you have in bag also a 7, 8, 9, PW or more. 4 more irons to cover 1 yard to 119?

Most guys at my course that hit very short play all hybrids or hybrid irons in an attempt to get distance. I guess there's no way to say what I said without insulting so I shouldn't have bothered.

I continue to gush over these irons. I had a really good ball striking day on Wednesday, and my score reflected that. I had a poor ball striking day yesterday, and my score really wasn't effected all that badly thanks to the forgiveness of these sticks. Short game is what let me down.

On one par 3, right at 165 yards, I pull 7 iron. The mark on the sole from the tee shows I hit it out on the toe, almost at the end of the grooves. Ended up pin high on the left collar! That is forgiveness!!

I might have a set of these arriving soon (like in a couple of days), with 110 Prototype shafts. :alien:
going to have a winner-take-all shootout with my current gamers.

I might have a set of these arriving soon (like in a couple of days), with 110 Prototype shafts. :alien:
going to have a winner-take-all shootout with my current gamers.

Love the signature, Jeremy!

Love the signature, Jeremy!

It should be fun. I'm honestly trying to have an unbiased comparison. I love my current gamers - mostly playing well with them. But, I played the Apex for a round a couple of weeks ago, and I was just a bit off, swing-wise. The additional forgiveness was obvious, as I still had very playable results, and on a couple of occasions still hit the green, while thinking "that was not a good swing". It will be a tad painful to send one of the sets on their way.

These are working much much better for me with the C Taper Lite's (stiff soft stepped once) than the Tour V's. I naturally hit the ball lower so those Tour V's were just too much for me.

Until today I have only hit the Apex (XP S300) indoors. In those sessions I kept trying to like it but we just never clicked. Anyhow, took a 6-iron out of the pro shop today and used it quite a bit over 27 holes. What a difference with real world conditions. After getting used to the weight and feel I easily got into a groove and was hitting these pure time and time again. Slightly above average distance for me but the key was the dispersion, the ball just stays on line coming off these heads - very impressive and extremely repeatable. I'm very tempted to cancel my G30 order and pull the trigger on a set of Apex's - while I'm sure I'll probably do after I post this note!

Glad you were able to get along with them. Such a solid package.

These are working much much better for me with the C Taper Lite's (stiff soft stepped once) than the Tour V's. I naturally hit the ball lower so those Tour V's were just too much for me.

Same exact setup that is in my bag. I love them.

I am liking mine even though I am not hitting them particularly well. Very fogiving in the heel (which is good)

thanks to UncleBuck on here, I picked up 4-PW with the F4 Recoils. I have only gotten in a quick range session with them, and only hit the 7I down, but I really liked what I saw. The feel was great, so I ordered the AW and SW today... Will probably drop out the 4I in favor of a 5H as I think that will fit my game better.

Will post further updates, but really impressed in my short time with them so far.

Thanks for all the great info the the Apex irons!!:smile-big:

This thread has got me wanting to change my set of irons out. So much that I'm starting to find reasons with my current irons to change them out. Thought I was going to go the Apex Pro route, but after swinging the Apex at GS, EW, and other golf shops on sims, I have decided to take the leap into the Apex. I'm scheduling my fitting in late July (after I get back from a trip). Because of the posts and reviews from everyone on this thread, I hope the setup ends up being the Apex/Recoil (F4) combo; a setup I keep going to when I "demo" the clubs. :in-love: I seem to hit these the best.

Same exact setup that is in my bag. I love them.

Heck ya, your experiments are very informative!

I don't think I've seen any posts here from anyone who has tried the Tour V Regulars with the Apex, would be interesting to hear how they performed as well.

I ended up ordering a set as well - pretty standard just went 2 up - good luck to all.

I don't think I've seen any posts here from anyone who has tried the Tour V Regulars with the Apex, would be interesting to hear how they performed as well.

I was fitted the Tour V Regulars in mine, although I won't get to spend quality time with them until next weekend. Coming from the stock 5.5 Project X 95s in the X Hot Pro irons, at least in the fitting, it helped bring my launch down just a touch, and keep it in the 100g weight range I prefer (stiffs are 110g). Really excited about putting them in play.

Do you mean regular flex TourV?

I have the TourV in stuff flex in my Apex. Love the feel and flight of the shaft. I typically hit a high ball flight, and these were able to bring the flight down just a bit.

I absolutely love these irons. Biggest game-changing clubs I've ever experienced.

I have the TourV in stuff flex in my Apex. Love the feel and flight of the shaft. I typically hit a high ball flight, and these were able to bring the flight down just a bit.

I absolutely love these irons. Biggest game-changing clubs I've ever experienced.
Same here, they are awesome. Going to order a 4 iron to fill the 210 yard shot and I will be set. All ponders and finished lol

Diddo, The Tour v are outstanding shafts to stay on line. don't get me wrong you can work the ball just fine. No one has mentioned turf interaction its the best barley feel the grass when striking the ball. yes best iron i have ever owned.

So time for me to update the thread with my thoughts. 2 rounds & a couple of of practice sessions I have these dialed in. I'm playing them with the Recoil 95/F3.

As others have mentioned, the Apex's are hands down the best feeling irons I've ever gamed. The ball just jumps off the face & the Recoils launch it at a height that suits my eye. No ballooning balls, just nice piercing ball flight that hold.

Distance wise I'm seeing a club longer throughout the set & compared to my CB3's that could be due to the lofts in the irons being a degree or two stronger. I have not seen anything crazy or abnormal with distances nor have I seen any fliers.

Overall it's such a great iron and once I got used to them I could easily see what others were raving about.

Apex arrived today!!! Took them to the range and fell in love! I haven't hit shots this straight in a long time! I'm so glad I did a fitting in Michigan- spot on! I cannot wait to play a round with these. No more worrying about a hook. Pays to get a real fitting!

I keep following this thread. I have the Apex with NS950 regular shafts and now have this yearning to try the recoils. How much difference is there between them? There is no where local to me I can try out different shafts. I know one place where I might be able to order a shaft and fit it into my 7 or 6 iron.

Yeah, was referring to the Tour-V Regular shaft, I read a review somewhere saying it's significantly more different compared to the S version than the numbers on KBS would lead you to think.

20% off at cally pre owned might be too much to resist......I put a set into the checkout cart 4 times so far today. Lol

Back