The state of your game?

I'm a little shakey lately with the driver, but I think that is from neglect of focusing on it on the range. Short game is there, but like the driver just needs some tidying up

Stay shaky my friend.

My game continues to improve. I've spent a lot of time working on my putting and chipping lately and my stats are showing. I'm now getting up and down a lot more often than not. My irons are very strong right now and my driving is probably the best part of my game. I've been working with a few different coaches on different aspects of my game and I just continue to see improvements. In my lesson yesterday my instructor and I increased my turn to get the club to parallel. I added 5-6 mph of club head speed and 10 mph of ball speed. I've really focused on owning the draw and have done nothing but hit draws while practicing. I can still go back to a fade if I need to, which is good. With my trust in the draw, I've developed a manageable miss which is a push off to the right.

Weakest part for me is pitching right now. I'm solid 75-90yds. It's everything under that which is giving me problems. I've been working on it and just need to trust the motion.

With 2 weeks to go until the MC I feel like my game is better than ever. And with those 2 weeks I still have time to improve. I have a tournament this weekend, and those have been a solid test of where my game is.

In the latter part of 2012 and all of 2013 my game was a roller coaster with my handicap swinging back and forth wildly as low as 5 and high as 12. Every time I would get to scoring I would shank a shot, then another and another... The game would go off the tracks then another slow comeback would start. For 2014, my goal is to finally whip the shank thing and to become a good putter.

Every time I thought I had found the cause of the shanks, it would hit again. It seems to be a combination of things, lie of the ball, weight dispersion at address, tempo, club choice and stance. I just have to be aware of all of those factors on every iron shot and then do what it takes to avoid the shank. In my last four rounds, 3, 2, 0, and 0 shanks with plenty of opportunities.

Putting has been steadily getting better but the final part may be in place to becoming "good." I've been using a 38" Daddy Long Legs counter balanced putter to good effect.

Still, my practice time is divided between 1. the putting greens and 2. placing a ball in bad places then trying to shank it then "curing" that shank.

My last round was promising, no shanks, no three putts, five birdie puts sunk, several other nice par or bogie saves with the putter for a 72 (36, 36) which was my lowest round in nearly a year. I'm not going to be lulled into the same old trap though, I'm still going to work on the problem shots (shanks) and lots of practice putting.

My game is steadily improving. Certainly nowhere near the pace I expect of myself, but its hard to look at the numbers I posted earlier in the year and not see the improvement. I just hope I keep it up. Would really like to enter the end of the season steadily in the 90's.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Trending upward, i finally feel! Iron striking has been really, really good and my putting is coming along. have some work to do in the 40-80yd range

I would label my year thus far as "progress interruptus". My journey to better plan has been interrupted by two minor surgeries and a neck injury. After each instance where I would be on the shelf for awhile, I would begin making progress again and then have another incident and have to stop. I'm back on the plan again, although still in treatment for a pinched nerve in my neck, and feeling good about how the swing is improving. I have never liked practicing before. But, this year, coupled with lessons, it has really been fun, except for the "interruptus" part.

Coming around!

Still leaving shots here and there, but its tightening up.

Distance is coming through better technique.

Happy, not satisfied.

Two weeks ago I was hitting the ball better than I ever have, today not so good. I'm not sure if it's pre cup stress and me placing too high of expectations on myself, or if I'm just tired from a very hectic last few months, either way I know it's there, I just need to find it.

Two weeks ago I was hitting the ball better than I ever have, today not so good. I'm not sure if it's pre cup stress and me placing too high of expectations on myself, or if I'm just tired from a very hectic last few months, either way I know it's there, I just need to find it.
Yes you do? Because I want you best on saturday my friend. :). Seriously though we have all had our ups and downs...I thjnk its part of the game. No need for pre cup jitters man, ive followed alomg on your progress and your ready.. the tired part, well thats very possible. Im sure there are many of us who have worked to this point.

Today I have a complete day off and yet im only going to go play 9 today. Walking and just going to take in the course and enjoy a cigar..

so my friend, relax and have faith in your game... because in a week and skme change im going to do my best to ensure you need every bit of it. :)

Have to say things are going to be put to the test this weekend with 2-3 rounds possible depending on the weather. Driver will be the real test with a total new set up and swing thought i picked up at my lesson a few weeks ago.

My game was pretty bad at the start of the season along with picking up an injury it took away from practice time. Also the winter was very difficult so we got a later start to the season as well. The last few rounds have been not great but my game is definitely trending in the right direction. Still a lot of room for improvement in all facets of the game but I'm ahead of where I was 4 months ago, way ahead. Lessons are paying off as well. Executed a couple of pitches this morning that I wouldn't have pulled off 3 weeks ago.

My grip and swing changes are taking very nicely, and I'm thrilled with the state of my game right now. The one downside is that I find I really need to hit 20-30 balls prior to a round to make sure my body wants to do the new swing and not some hybrid of the new and the old.

It's nothing, Marc. Your swing is solid, and will be there next weekend. There is no doubt about it, and there should be none in your mind. See you soon, buddy.

When you get into the heat of battle, it'll all be there.

Tee to green is better than it ever has been. Iron play is really shining.

However, once I get on the green... I am freaking lost.

My grip and swing changes are taking very nicely, and I'm thrilled with the state of my game right now. The one downside is that I find I really need to hit 20-30 balls prior to a round to make sure my body wants to do the new swing and not some hybrid of the new and the old.

I have always needed to warm up before a round, but with changing to a more one plane swing this year, it will be as critical as ever, much the same way you describe.

My dad bought I set of mp 69's this winter and could not hit them. He gave them to me PW-2I. I was sure I wouldn't be able to hit them because they are blades. First time out I said "what the hell" and I gave them a whirl. Since my iron play has been the best ever, although I am having trouble adjusting to changing course conditions (soft to hard). I've been able to shoot consistent 80's and am waiting for a break through, but my driving is so wild. I don't need to hit fairways, I need to stay in between the trees/hazards. My scorecard typically looks like this 4-3-4-5-3-9-4-5-7. Can't tell you how many times I hit OB, dropped and hit OB again hitting 5 from the tee. My game has reversed from years ago. I used to be a good driver and struggled with irons. I am now going back to an upright, flat shoulder turn swing that I had as a youth. I will start driving better and the iron game will suffer.

If today is any example, my game may be in better shape than I ever thought it could be. I played my first round since March. Made 10 pars, 4 bogies, and 4 doubles, for a total of 84. Considering that it's only my 11th round in more than 2 years, I couldn't be much more pleased.

We shall see what happens over the weekend playing some less familiar courses, but I mostly felt pretty good about my ball striking. My putting was very good. Chipping is the weakest part of my game at the moment, but it's showing signs of waking up too.

My irons are a little off. Need to find my rhythm with them again or maybe they know they are on the way out at the end of the season and are rebelling.

3 months in to my comeback after 5-6 years off, it's coming together. Had a week of pretty much my best ever ball striking, I think I was actually shocked how good it was - unfortunately followed that week with 2 off with a minor injury. Not quite back to where I was then but getting there.

By far my biggest problem has always been what's going on between my ears out on the course, so it's trying to battle the mental side and keep it positive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalky

Half way into my 2nd year at this, I can't complain too much about the state of my game. I feel like I'm on the verge of a solid break-through, if I can get my mental game in order.

Everything seems to be coming together.
Shot my first near par nine tonight, after starting off with 4 bogies.

I'm at a point where I can see good improvement right in front of me but I just can't reach out and grab it.
I need to get the tee game nailed down for good, and my iron play isn't good enough. I'd like to score well without relying on short game all day.

Right now, only part of my game that I am pleased with is my putting. Other then that my iron game is so so. Short game needs quite a bit of work. Feel it could be close...

Terrible, terrible slump right now. My round yesterday was a wheels off disaster. Very frustrated.

2 weeks ago I felt good about everything and my irons were on point. I didn't play in the interim (vacation and family in town) and all of a sudden I can put a driver anywhere I want, but can't do anything else. There will be work to do this weekend.

Back