The 2014-15 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yuk!
Is that like Blue Steel?

zoolander.jpg

The amount of people upset around here about OU's alternate uni's cracks me up. Having coached HS kids, its simple, they DO rank this stuff as important to their decisions, doesn't mean you have to wear something crazy every week, but just HAVING an alternate jersey helps w the kids. Its dumb, but its true.

And yes I know, "Insert Alabama doesn't have one here", I'd bet almost anything within 3 years they do.

The amount of people upset around here about OU's alternate uni's cracks me up. Having coached HS kids, its simple, they DO rank this stuff as important to their decisions, doesn't mean you have to wear something crazy every week, but just HAVING an alternate jersey helps w the kids. Its dumb, but its true.

And yes I know, "Insert Alabama doesn't have one here", I'd bet almost anything within 3 years they do.
Not a fan of the woodgrain design on the red alternate uniform but I'm totally digging the alternate white helmet. Recalling the Bud Wilkinson era (and his three NC's) is a great idea and a nod to tradition.

It always amuses me that - typically - the most vociferous on these issues aren't even alumni.

I would be shocked if Bama ever came out with an alternate uni. Auburn, too. Do you know how hard it is to kill 'traditions' in the South? :alien:

Bama continuing their run of playing a marquee opponent at a neutral site to open the season.

I would be shocked if Bama ever came out with an alternate uni. Auburn, too. Do you know how hard it is to kill 'traditions' in the South? :alien:

Can't say never, but Bama did a Pro Combat jersey with houndstooth around the neck and arm holes for one game 5-6 years ago, and I'm pretty sure that the old money still hasn't forgiven them.

I still remember UGA breaking out the black helmets for the "blackout" game against Bama a few years ago -- and then being beaten mercilessly.

Woof.

I still remember UGA breaking out the black helmets for the "blackout" game against Bama a few years ago -- and then being beaten mercilessly.

Woof.

Not going to lie, after the beating Auburn took from the UGA 'Blackout' game and that stupid Soulja Boy mess during the game in 06, I'd be lying if I said I didn't kinda hope for Bama to beat them down that next year in those unis. That might be the first time I've ever admitted to almost rooting for Bama to win a football game.

Not going to lie, after the beating Auburn took from the UGA 'Blackout' game and that stupid Soulja Boy mess during the game in 06, I'd be lying if I said I didn't kinda hope for Bama to beat them down that next year in those unis. That might be the first time I've ever admitted to almost rooting for Bama to win a football game.
The Auburn at uga blackout game was 2007. That game pissed me off so much. We took the lead in the 3rd quarter before all that soulja boy crap happened.
The 06 game was just bad. 11:30am in the rain. Tommy coached teams could not ever get up for the early games.

bama usually has some sort of alternate uni for a game every year. It might be slightly more subtle than say Maryland or that UCLA outfit. They are a Nike school. They take what Nike gives them and says 'thank you sir, may I have another.'
Now I would bet anybody $100 that Auburn would not do an alternate jersey in the foreseeable future. The closest we've come to that is the 2007 Vandy game when we wore the white jerseys at home and left the AU stickers off the helmets for the 50th anniversary of the 1957 championship team. Doug Barfield tried orange jerseys a couple times and they were a terrible failure as were Barfield coached teams.

The Auburn at uga blackout game was 2007. That game pissed me off so much. We took the lead in the 3rd quarter before all that soulja boy crap happened.
The 06 game was just bad. 11:30am in the rain. Tommy coached teams could not ever get up for the early games.

Yep, my bad. 06/07 were huge letdown years. Those were really good teams.

bama usually has some sort of alternate uni for a game every year. It might be slightly more subtle than say Maryland or that UCLA outfit. They are a Nike school. They take what Nike gives them and says 'thank you sir, may I have another.'
Now I would bet anybody $100 that Auburn would not do an alternate jersey in the foreseeable future. The closest we've come to that is the 2007 Vandy game when we wore the white jerseys at home and left the AU stickers off the helmets for the 50th anniversary of the 1957 championship team. Doug Barfield tried orange jerseys a couple times and they were a terrible failure as were Barfield coached teams.

I've still yet to see a Bama alternate. And you've made me google bama alternate uniforms. I hate you for the ads I'll see in my browsers for a few months haha

I've still yet to see a Bama alternate. And you've made me google bama alternate uniforms. I hate you for the ads I'll see in my browsers for a few months haha
Sorry dude. I just have an uncanny memory when it comes to football games. I remember other events in my life as they relate to high school and college football games that I was at. I got dumped right before the 06 uga game and then switched churches the day after that game mostly because I didn't want to have to see uga fans that I had given a hard time to the couple years prior. I may have a problem.

It's amazing how the younger generations have really bought into what like Oregon and Maryland have done in the recent past, they love it!

I don't think Auburn will do anything crazy, but I bet we do an alternate in the future. It's big in recruiting, and as long as it is done tastefully I don't mind.

None of the stupid crap places like Maryland has done.

Nate,
Even when OU was it's absolute worst (the John Blake era), we still managed to steal one from Texas and kept another very close. The Red River Rivalry is always intense, so I would expect a close game no matter how well one team is trending and how poorly the other is. I bet Charlie Strong has Texas worked into a lather for that game and Bob better plan for that eventuality. Naturally, I hope the Sooners walk out with a win (and happier if it's a blow out), but I expect a close game nonetheless.

Totally agree. Still don't know how Mack's team figured out a way to win the game last year. We were dead set in walking out by halftime and going to play golf that afternoon. They had no business winning that game but somehow the stars aligned. I have a feeling the clubs will be in the back of the car again this year just in case too.

I don't know how Texas could trick up their uni's like other teams do. But yes, it's been discussed down at the 40 by many having pros and cons.

Being a Sooner fan I'm excited to see how Texas does this year. I always love watching the Red River game

Being a Sooner fan I'm excited to see how Texas does this year. I always love watching the Red River game

I'm excited to see how Texas does in year 2-3 of the Strong era. This year I'm just hoping they keep games close.

It's amazing how the younger generations have really bought into what like Oregon and Maryland have done in the recent past, they love it!

And then there's what the Holies have worn recently. Some of the helmets are flat TRBL. I understand there is only so much you can do with maroon and orange, but the cartoon Hokie bird and the stone helmets were a little off. (And yeah, I applaud the stone helmet meaning, but they could have looked way better than that!)

Some of Maryland's combos have made them look like crash test dummies on the field...

A little "football" humor. Real letter to the New York Times in 1909. Aren't you glad "handegg" didn't catch on?

BqFyeVvCUAAx3SM.png

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405648152.196243.jpg
Handeggers

Just found out I have a ticket to the Auburn home opener against Arkansas.

We're only a little more than a month away!

Just found out I have a ticket to the Auburn home opener against Arkansas.

We're only a little more than a month away!

Good game to see of you're an Auburn fan.

Arkansas will suck again.

Good game to see of you're an Auburn fan.

Arkansas will suck again.

I think Arkansas will be greatly improved this year. Competitive with the mid tier schools at least. Could be interesting if we are sans Marshall.

Bama continuing their run of playing a marquee opponent at a neutral site to open the season.

USC is not a marquee matchup. They are the most overhyped team every year and they flat out suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back