Titleist Vokey SM5 Wedges Preview Thread

Here is a couple of pics to show the wear of my 57°.

Still loving this wedge. If not for the MC coming up I would have grabbed another one for sure. Been using it for all my shots and pitches inside 100 yards and loving the F grind on it. This is a big deal coming from me because I was not a fan of these wedges about 5 years ago.

I hit some decent shots in Iowa with this club, especially when I put a good swing on it. I really like the feel though I actually have some confidene with a wedge I didn't before.

Vokey announced that they will be coming out with a limited release of SM5 Indigo wedges later this month. I think it is gorgeous and will be difficult to resist.
sm5_indigo_60-08M

Vokey announced that they will be coming out with a limited release of SM5 Indigo wedges later this month. I think it is gorgeous and will be difficult to resist.
sm5_indigo_60-08M

thought the same, until i heard about the $185 price tag. That helps with the resistance.

Now Vokey and True Temper have announced that the new DG Tour issue black onyx wedge shafts will be available for the indigo SM5 wedges.

Nice. I also liked those shafts when they were called KBS Tour Custom.

Nice. I also liked those shafts when they were called KBS Tour Custom.

I can never seem to get along with anything KBS for some reason the C-tapers were close but felt so harsh. Everything else feels so good but the results are not there. I need to spend some more time with the C-taper lites.

Really starting to enjoy the 60 m-grind more now. Liked to for shots 20 yards and in from around the green straight away, but recently started using it from 80 yards out on full shots and am really enjoying it.

Always tried using my 56 from 100-40 yards, but had a couple of front pins over the weekends and just launched the 60 up and just landed softly. I don't generate a lot of spin with wedges. Enough to stop the ball, but no zip back of anything, but saw a couple land a one hop back a bit. It was nice to see.

I can never seem to get along with anything KBS for some reason the C-tapers were close but felt so harsh. Everything else feels so good but the results are not there. I need to spend some more time with the C-taper lites.

Hehehe. Just poking fun. I actually like the stock S200 fine and tend to think that wedge shafts don't really matter all that much at all. The Onyx definitely look cool.

Hehehe. Just poking fun. I actually like the stock S200 fine and tend to think that wedge shafts don't really matter all that much at all. The Onyx definitely look cool.

I think it matters to an extent but I would agree its not that large of an impact. I know others will say differently though. I think the shaft helps change performance but I don't find the different performance to change my results after I dial it in.

On that note I find after messing more and more with different wedges just how important the different grinds are. Can tell a difference the first shot usually.

Still love the SM5 though have finally found the grind setup that just flat out works for me and I knew almost instantly.

What did you end up with?

I think I'd go 52/56/60 with F, M, S if I could pick.

Nice. I liked the K too. Just not an ideal wedge for my swing. Compared to the S and M at least.

The Indigo SM5 wedges are now available on Vokey's website. The cost is a little high at $185 but that includes custom stamping and any shaft including the new DG tour issue black onyx or PXi (which is usually a $40 upgrade).

Has anyone gone M on multiple wedges? Or would that be a bad idea? I'm considering a 54 M and can't decide which grind on my 58 s m or k

Has anyone gone M on multiple wedges? Or would that be a bad idea? I'm considering a 54 M and can't decide which grind on my 58 s m or k
I have a 56° sand wedge with the M grind and I just got the 60° indigo with M grind as well. I have been using a 60° K grind which is good from good sand but I just like the versatility that you get with the M grind a little better. It is harder to lay the 60° K open and play delicate shots and plus I have come to realize that I want a little less bounce in my lob wedge too.

So i'm seriously considering getting a set of these although i don't really need them i'm throwing my SM4s in the bag tomorrow and playing a par 3 course to see if i like them more than my MD2 since they are pretty beat up Anyway i am a bit of a digger but i would want a set thats pretty flexible and i want to be able to open the 60* as much as i can if need be. i usually won't open up either of the other wedges..... i'm going 50*, 56* 60* any thoughts on bounce and grind i should go with? or what you guys really have been enjoying. Thanks

F grind on your 56 degree is the most bounce you can get. When I ordered it the Titleist rep said that was their most popular grind request for the 56.

i just looked i have 60*4 56*11 and 50*8 in my sm4 and 60*10 56*14 and 52*12 in my MD2 all with S grinds

kinda all over the place it looks like lol

I guess the rule of thumb for me since the custom grinds came about was more bounce on my 60 and 56 and more standard on my 52.

I guess the rule of thumb for me since the custom grinds came about was more bounce on my 60 and 56 and more standard on my 52.

thats what i was thinking i need a decent bounce on my 60* so i don't catch it fat but i'm also worried about how that will affect me opening the club up for sand shots or flops

thats what i was thinking i need a decent bounce on my 60* so i don't catch it fat but i'm also worried about how that will affect me opening the club up for sand shots or flops

You do live in PA as well I could get away with a whole lot more bounce when I was playing up there than I can down here. Maybe 56 -S and 60-M? I enjoy the K on the 60 even though it is higher bounce. I have no issues opening it at all however some have said they do.

You do live in PA as well I could get away with a whole lot more bounce when I was playing up there than I can down here. Maybe 56 -S and 60-M? I enjoy the K on the 60 even though it is higher bounce. I have no issues opening it at all however some have said they do.

thanks i'm just gauging what other people have done i never really give it much thought as you can tell by my scattered bounce and options as long as the grooves are fresh and the lofts are the same as i've always played i don't notice much difference.

Having the correct bounce on my wedges has change my short game so much for the better. Night and day.

Back