ANY THP'ers In This Story-Addicted to Golf

CAA_Beat

Reaction score
Handicap
Hard to believe Outside the Lines did a whole segment on being addicted to golf. But it's kind of intersting. I know many of us approach that line many times. Gibsonton, Florida not too far from Tampa and Sarasota, right? Prime THP Territory :)

It's about 8:00 minutes, FYI but a good watch.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/

Interesting story....I can see how something like that could happen to someone though! It's definitely an addicting game!

yes, I unfortunately know a guy who lost his job due to playing golf on company time. it started with once every couple weeks after a site visit to one of their facilities. Then it became weekly, then he stopped going on the site visit all together and finally was discovered and fired.

It can be a delicate balance. I know many times, I say, let me jump on THP for 10 or 15 minutes, next thing I know an hour has gone by.

As much as I want to say something that I probably shouldn't, I will pose this question: For those that see golfers who love to play their favorite sport and have the dedication to try and be the best they can be, what would you rather they spend their efforts on, that would not directly benefit your own selfish desires or goals?

As much as I want to say something that I probably shouldn't, I will pose this question: For those that see golfers who love to play their favorite sport and have the dedication to try and be the best they can be, what would you rather they spend their efforts on, that would not directly benefit your own selfish desires or goals?
Well anytime SWMBO say's I'm playing too much golf...which is very rare these days (due to my knee) She always follows it up with saying, well I guess I should be glad, you're not out clubbing, chasing women and drinking yourself into a stupor. yeah, like that's me :)

It's a delicate balance, but I find it a bit silly that it's being called 'addiction'

Seems like even a pinch of self control would curtail any life altering situations that would arise from enjoying the game.

It's a delicate balance, but I find it a bit silly that it's being called 'addiction'

Seems like even a pinch of self control would curtail any life altering situations that would arise from enjoying the game.

When someone (as a THP example) posts anonymously on a forum about whether he/she should divorce their spouse solely because being married is keeping them from maximizing their golf game, I think I would classify that as an addiction. I don't disagree with your second sentence, but some people just don't have that shred of self control.

When someone posts anonymously on a forum about whether he/she should divorce their spouse solely because being married is keeping them from maximizing their golf game, I think I would classify that as an addiction. I don't disagree with your second sentence, but some people just don't have that shred of self control.

A fair point buddy, I just think of addiction and think of something like nicotine where there is a genuine craving. While I'd agree that golf has an incredible pull on my life, it's not like my body is 'craving' it particularly.

yes, I unfortunately know a guy who lost his job due to playing golf on company time. it started with once every couple weeks after a site visit to one of their facilities. Then it became weekly, then he stopped going on the site visit all together and finally was discovered and fired.

It can be a delicate balance. I know many times, I say, let me jump on THP for 10 or 15 minutes, next thing I know an hour has gone by.

Me too! Don't even realize how much time has passed.

If money was no object, I would probably be golfing nearly every day. A number of years ago, I worked a rotating shift and would sneak in 18 the mornings I came off the night shift. And I need my sleep after a night shift. :sleepy:

Dan...Don't you know all of our actions these days have to be classified into some sort of condition or affliction, it certainly can't be called accountability :)

Last edited:
Dan...Don't you know all of our actions these days have to be classified into some sort of condition or affliction, it certainly can't be called accountability.

haha I suppose so. Kind of scary when you think about it.

I don 't have a problem ... I can quit whenever I want ... honest ... and I do usually quit between hole 4 and hole 5 at my local course ... at least twice week ... so I know I can quit ... no, no problem here ...:bashful:

A fair point buddy, I just think of addiction and think of something like nicotine where there is a genuine craving. While I'd agree that golf has an incredible pull on my life, it's not like my body is 'craving' it particularly.

Doesn't necessarily have to be your body craving something, but could be something that your mind is addicted to.

I think a person can become addicted to anything to be honest. Addiction is the continued repetition of a behavior despite adverse consequences. So the guy who was golfing on company time was in a sense "addicted" to golf. More literally, he was abusing company time and eventually got caught.

I find that the term "addiction" is overused and misused. People think that just because you enjoy doing something means you're addicted to it. Modern society has also started using the term as an explanation as to why people do things as opposed to making them accountable for their actions (to use what you said CAA).

Just my opinion though.

Here is how I perceive the time I spend on the course as to time I could be spending doing something else. Golf for me is a way to allevate my stress, help me to understand just how cruel luck is but to also understand just how fortunate I am in my life that my golf game is my biggest worry. I have tough days at work that I choose not to complain about to the people that I love. I choose instead to turn the negative energy I have boiled up from a tough week at work into physical energy by walking and enjoy the outdoors while playing golf, usually in the early hours of the day on the weekend. Once I am done playing, I will usually come home (around 10am, shower, sleep for an hour) then proceed with the rest of my day and night and if possible, repeat on sunday. During the week I have THP if I need to be able to "golf". I choose not to drink or do drugs. I choose not to go to bars to hang out nor do shop for new things, unless of course golf clubs or accessories count. For me golf is not an addiction, but rather an outlet. Just because someone else feels it is not a healthy outlet based on their own feelings or opinion doesn't mean that they are correct, just concerned.

It is a balancing act some weeks i am out too much and the Boss(wife) lets me know to dial it back

It is a balancing act some weeks i am out too much and the Boss(wife) lets me know to dial it back

Funny how the boss never tells you to dial back the time you spend sitting on the couch with her....at least in my case.

I would definitely say I have a deep love for the game of golf. I know when to say when though. I will not golf on Mother's Day weekend, the weekend of my wife and daughter's birthday, and any other time we have something to go to. My wife and I spend a lot of time away from each other at work and we've learned to just enjoy being around each other and our daughter. However, she now (finally) gets my affinity for golf. It took 2 years, but she finally gets it now. If I'm sitting on the couch with her and it's a nice day she'll say, "It's really nice out. You should go golfing." Or, "It's supposed to be gorgeous this weekend, are you playing?" I think she's so understanding now because of the MC. Also, I think she sees that golf is a release for me and that I don't love golf more than her.

Golf, like anything can cause problems with your home life. If you're not able to balance it, then you're in trouble. I think the guy who said, "If you're standing over your tee shot and you have to wonder if she's mad then you probably shouldn't be doing it." Anytime I think, "Should I really go golfing?" I know that I shouldn't go.

As my old man says, "You can be a geek about anything." Golf, bowling, poker, anything with a strategy can easily drag a guy into addiction.

Hello, my name is Ward and I am a golf addict.

This reminds me of the handicap or marriage thread. Heh

Interesting story. I've been accused of being addicted, but without a family and being young and single most of the time, it keeps me busy. I couldn't imagine sneaking away from the office to play golf while still being on the clock. Crazy stuff. Addictions are addictions though. Very powerful.

This is exactly why you must get your wife hooked on the game, too.

This is exactly why you must get your wife hooked on the game, too.

That's been my approach. Every weekend we've been spending 3-4 hours on course, and it's a great time.

Addicted? I don't know if that's the right word. I suppose it might be under the right conditions... i.e, the amount of time and dollars spent interferes with higher responsibilities. But... is it an addiction that causes parents to spend $1000s and countless hours grooming a child to play golf?

I only started playing golf in March of 2013... at age 68. My wife coaxed me into it. These days, I play lots of golf, 5-6 round per week; sometimes more. I have a large green and sand trap in my back yard, and a covered hitting range with a large hitting screen and Opti-shot. I am retired so I have the time, I can afford it, and it doesn't interfere with other responsibilities. So... addicted? That might be like saying my wife is addicted to her gardens, since she spends as much time with them as I do playing golf. And she occasionally joins me on the golf course, just as I occasionally join her in her gardens.

I've not played golf all this week, because I am volunteering in a USGA Women's Championship tournament. That's golf related, so is it part of an addiction? I'll finish the USGA Tournament on Friday and play in my club tournament over the weekend, and then get back to my daily rounds and lessons.

Unlike gambling, I don't NEED to win (or lose) something. Unlike drinking, I don't HAVE TO HAVE a drink. That's probably a bad example for me to use, since I don't drink. When I was a smoker, was I addicted? I smoked for more than 40 years. Two years ago, I simply tossed away my pack of Dorals and haven't smoked since.

I don't HAVE to play golf. I ENJOY playing golf. I enjoy the game and the socializing. I enjoy watching and appreciate the skill levels from amateur to pro. I don't have to come here to THP. But I enjoy the members, the discussions and the chance to learn much.

So... Addiction? It depends on one's point of view and circumstance.

I think about golf most of the day, in a perfect world I'd be playing everyday. Being a sometimes paycheck to paycheck working class golfer is hard. but having the best spouse on the planet(I'm biased) whome supports me absolutely is key, someday with diligence ill be able to golf as much as I want.

Back