Pizzeria Sapienza in downtown Albany. One slice isn't enough, two are too many.

EC4929F2-52C3-4575-8945-ED8ED4838FB9_zpsrweskff2.jpg

Thanks for the invite. Man that looks good.

Thanks for the invite. Man that looks good.
I thought you were traveling?

I just got back from seeing your BIL. He asked who the better golfer was....

Any places near St. Barnabas Hospital on Arthur St? Working there this week.
Haven't been there for a while but my two favorites on Arthur Ave are Zero Otto Nove and Full Moon. But at ZON, you have to order a whole pie, no slices and neither place is cheap. Full Moon has excellent sicilian slices.

I thought you were traveling?

I just got back from seeing your BIL. He asked who the better golfer was....

I am. Heading back to Albany right now actually. I hope you didn't lie.

I am. Heading back to Albany right now actually. I hope you didn't lie.
I did lie, I told him you were better.

Slice 1 down and it was amazing. Slice 2 coming up and I'm taking them both down.

Dammit Dean.

That looks good Pete.

I did lie, I told him you were better.

Slice 1 down and it was amazing. Slice 2 coming up and I'm taking them both down.

I could only put down 1 1/4 of mine.

I could only put down 1 1/4 of mine.

I got through 1.5 and stopped to breathe. I haven't picked the other half back up yet, and it's not looking good.

I got through 1.5 and stopped to breathe. I haven't picked the other half back up yet, and it's not looking good.
You've gotta stand up and bounce around a bit like competitive eaters do. Haha

After working in the West Village for almost 10 years Bleecker St Pizza gets my vote if you just want to grab a slice and a drink for lunch and John's if you want a whole pie.

Yes! I grew up on 3rd st, and a visit to John's was always a special treat. Crust was so thin sometimes you needed a fork and knife. So delicious.

I wonder, are they still there?

NY style pizza….just don't get it, I've had it all over the country and even in NY. To me buying a 'slice' is buying leftovers. I want my pizza fresh out of the oven and I want choices of toppings like BBQ chicken, Buff chicken, scollops and bacon etc…. Just my opinion.

NY style pizza….just don't get it, I've had it all over the country and even in NY. To me buying a 'slice' is buying leftovers. I want my pizza fresh out of the oven and I want choices of toppings like BBQ chicken, Buff chicken, scollops and bacon etc…. Just my opinion.
Lol what?

Um, you can get NY style pizza fresh out of the the oven with your choice of toppings. NY style refers to a thin crust, not buying by the slice.

Um, you can get NY style pizza fresh out of the the oven with your choice of toppings. NY style refers to a thin crust, not buying by the slice.

Not only that if the pizza place is good and you go there during lunch or dinner your always getting a fresh piece. If you go to a cr@ppy place that doesn't have a big turn around then sure your gonna get a piece thats sitting for a little bit but not long.

Not only that if the pizza place is good and you go there during lunch or dinner your always getting a fresh piece. If you go to a cr@ppy place that doesn't have a big turn around then sure your gonna get a piece thats sitting for a little bit but not long.
It's definitely hit or miss with that (when not buying a whole pie); and I usually choose my slices based upon what's come out of the oven more recently.

Well there's thin crust and there's thin crust, I just don't like NY style pizza I quess. Kinda like some people love NY city, I think it's a crime ridden, smelly, dirty, noisy, hell hole of humanity, but that's just me!

Well there's thin crust and there's thin crust, I just don't like NY style pizza I quess. Kinda like some people love NY city, I think it's a crime ridden, smelly, dirty, noisy, hell hole of humanity, but that's just me!

So, back to Pizza. Anyone ever have Tacconelli's in Philadelphia - the place is so popular you have to reserve the dough ahead of time.

Sorry to go a bit OT, but y'all know that since the advent of pizza stones, making your own thin crust zza that can rival the best is very achievable? Stones are particularly good at thin crust vs. a thicker chewier crust. Quality depends totally on quality/freshness of sauce and cheese, and making your own dough rather than a refrigerated grocery store bought dough. Last year I went all the way and made some sauce from fresh tomatoes, made a batch of homemade dough, used fresh buffalo mozzerela, and OMG, it did blow away anything I ever bought commercially. Was a lot of trouble but worth it.

Sorry to go a bit OT, but y'all know that since the advent of pizza stones, making your own thin crust zza that can rival the best is very achievable? Stones are particularly good at thin crust vs. a thicker chewier crust. Quality depends totally on quality/freshness of sauce and cheese, and making your own dough rather than a refrigerated grocery store bought dough. Last year I went all the way and made some sauce from fresh tomatoes, made a batch of homemade dough, used fresh buffalo mozzerela, and OMG, it did blow away anything I ever bought commercially. Was a lot of trouble but worth it.

Absolutely. Now put that stone on the grill... darn good stuff.

Absolutely. Now put that stone on the grill... darn good stuff.

I have gone back to charcoal. Do you think it would get too much smokey flavour? Not sure if I want smoked pizza..

I'm now researching pizza dough recipes. *sigh*

GG's got ya covered brother. She has some great ones.

Why did I not think about this? I forget she loves to bake!

I'm now researching pizza dough recipes. *sigh*

2 1/2 Cup flour
1 Cup water (may need more depending on temperature and humidity)
Two packets of yeast
Splash of olive oil
Large pinch of salt

If you own a stand mixer, throw everything in with a dough hook and mix. Add more water if dough looks dry. Add more Floyd if dough is sticky. It should pull away from bowl but still hold together. Should take about 10 min total.

If no stand mixer, combine everything together and knead for about 20-30 minutes. I find that doing to separate kneading sessions (with maybe a minute or two gap in between) makes the dough a little better.

After combined, add to bowl, coat lightly with olive oil, and cover with a towel. Let rise for at least an hour.

This should make two pretty decent sized pizzas.

Back