How to rotate the hips not slide?

dizzyg12

Reaction score
Handicap
Watching the golf fix from Monday and Breed showed how justin rose is an expert at rotating the hips to transfer weight back and them to the left side and that's what gives him his consistency. I stood in my living room for a half hour looking at my own mechanics. I seem to rotate the weight on the back swing (not sliding, just as he was explaining) but on the downswing I seem to slide laterally to the left side. The light bulb may have just come on and this is what leads to being inconsistent and hitting fat/thin shots for me. Breed have a good drill for the backside hip to prevent it from
Sliding (guide rod in the ground) but not too much for the sliding forward.

Any tips to help with rotation and eliminate the slide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An alignment rod through the belt loops is an effective and cheap tool. Try it slowly for a while as you'll understand why. If you slide, you'll get stuck behind the alignment rod and have some serious uncomfortable consequences and possibly belt loops. If you turn, no issues. If you spin out, see above for possible results.

Wards tip works great you can also use bungee cords to hold the rod/ broom handle in place to save your belt loops :)

Also thinking about hitting from a solid left leg foundation help me.

I tend to slide and not rotate when I try and push off my right side extra hard to the target to get more distance.

Wards tip works great you can also use bungee cords to hold the rod/ broom handle in place to save your belt loops :)

Also thinking about hitting from a solid left leg foundation help me.

I tend to slide and not rotate when I try and push off my right side extra hard to the target to get more distance.

Good call on the bungee cords, I didn't even think about that.

Good call on the bungee cords, I didn't even think about that.

I might of torn out belt loops not using the bungee cords. I will also use a bungee cord and rod across the chest to work on shoulder turn length and angle.

If you use both at the same time you can see your shoulder and hip separation as well.

I might of torn out belt loops not using the bungee cords. I will also use a bungee cord and rod across the chest to work on shoulder turn length and angle.

If you use both at the same time you can see your shoulder and hip separation as well.

I've done the rod across the chest for shoulder turn. What they need is a way to keep a rod stationary when vertical so you can work on your setup, head/spine alignment at setup, and monitor it as you turn. That way you know if your head is moving around or if you were off kilter before you ever started. (off post I know, sorry guys)

An alignment rod through the belt loops is an effective and cheap tool. Try it slowly for a while as you'll understand why. If you slide, you'll get stuck behind the alignment rod and have some serious uncomfortable consequences and possibly belt loops. If you turn, no issues. If you spin out, see above for possible results.
Sorry, but I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Vertically or horizontally through the loop? Which loop(s)?

Sorry, but I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Vertically or horizontally through the loop? Which loop(s)?

Ignore the vertical part, that was another use for the alignment rod. You want the alignment rod horizontally through your belt loops

Rod in front of you/across your belt buckle should point directly down the target line.

Rod in front of you/across your belt buckle should point directly down the target line.

So are you guys advocating no bump forward before starting the downswing? I've always been told that sliding refers to a big shift forward or backward, but a small shift or bump is absolutely necessary. If I don't bump forward before turning my hips I'm guaranteed to hit fat and behind the ball - even when the ball is back of center of my stance.

ETA: Also, I watched that episode and Breed seemed to contradict himself, because he sounded like he was indicating no bump forward. But then when he was hitting on the monitor he was definitely doing so. I was taught that (for a RH golfer) your left/lead knee should be 1-2" ahead of your left foot on the bump. Also here is a video from June 2013 of Justin Rose and he definitely bumps forward and ends with the left knee 1-2" in front of the left foot:

So are you guys advocating no bump forward before starting the downswing? I've always been told that sliding refers to a big shift forward or backward, but a small shift or bump is absolutely necessary. If I don't bump forward before turning my hips I'm guaranteed to hit fat and behind the ball - even when the ball is back of center of my stance.

Some things just happen on their own and require no conscious effort. Also, if you're hitting it heavy you might want to keep an eye on your head and see if it's not moving around

Some things just happen on their own and require no conscious effort. Also, if you're hitting it heavy you might want to keep an eye on your head and see if it's not moving around

The bump never felt natural to me. And not thinking about led to me trying to swing around my spine with a quite lower body and resulted in an OTT move. Eventually, through lessons, I started to get the weight transfer down through a conscious swing thought that finally allowed me to approach the ball from the inside. Every time I hit a fat shot the video reveals that I didn't not move forward enough (if at all).

ETA: Also, I watched that episode and Breed seemed to contradict himself, because he sounded like he was indicating no bump forward. But then when he was hitting on the monitor he was definitely doing so. I was taught that (for a RH golfer) your left/lead knee should be 1-2" ahead of your left foot on the bump. Also here is a video from June 2013 of Justin Rose and he definitely bumps forward and ends with the left knee 1-2" in front of the left foot:

Yeah that's what gets me too. I think there has to be a little forward shift, but I've watched a few of my recent slowmo shots and I think I'm moving laterally too much.

I don't get the sensation of a rotation of the hips. The guide rod in the belt loop sounds like a good way to start. Think I'll give that a try.

Yeah that's what gets me too. I think there has to be a little forward shift, but I've watched a few of my recent slowmo shots and I think I'm moving laterally too much.

I don't get the sensation of a rotation of the hips. The guide rod in the belt loop sounds like a good way to start. Think I'll give that a try.

Weight transfer is different than a bump.

If you slide too much you may get too far forward. Or, lose your spine angle, drop the club behind you and get stuck.

A great drill is to fire the right knee toward the ball. As you transition into the ball from the top, drive the right knee toward the ball. This will drive the left hip back and allow for a good turn vs a slide.

You can also place a directional stick in the ground. Set up with the stick outside the left heel. Work on turn behind the stick. If you hit it the stick you are out in front of the impact zone.

Last edited:
Try swinging while keeping your right heel on the ground. This allows some shift of weight to the left, but will force rotation rather than too much slide.

Try swinging while keeping your right heel on the ground.
Hmmm, not sure about this one. I have understood this is what we don't want. But maybe I'm mistaken. Freddie?

You don't want to permantly change your swing to keep the right heel down (though some pros do), but use this to get the feel of rotating rather than sliding, then you can let the heel come up once the rotation is engrained.

Hmmm, not sure about this one. I have understood this is what we don't want. But maybe I'm mistaken. Freddie?

I think he means to "try" as in use it as a swing thought. Your body will force the right foot to roll forward on the instep (I originally said "insole", ha) due to the swing and transfer of weight. I use the thought of a solid core and butt at address. Otherwise I can over rotate which can lead to a hook.

I haven't tried the thought of firing the knee forward, but have been meaning too.

Last edited:
Try swinging while keeping your right heel on the ground. This allows some shift of weight to the left, but will force rotation rather than too much slide.

If the weight is on the right heel on the down swing, there will be a tendency to et stuck and not drive through the ball. Back swing weight transfer should be made to the instep of the right foot.

After 3 lessons at the Annika Academy, this is the most important thing for me. I am definitely challenged when it come to the proper hip rotation, when I do it right the distance gains and accuracy difference is amazing. It gives that effortless feeling of striking the ball.

Back