Golf Reading List

Bennet00

Reaction score
Handicap
????
We moved last week, right about the time I have decided to shake the dust off of my game. Unpacking last night I came across my golf books. I think I will work through them. How would you go through them, and what others would you add to the pile?

Instructional:
Ben Hogan's Five Lessons
Harvey Penick's Little Red Book
Tour Tempo - John Novosel
The Scrambler's Dozen - Mike McGetrick
Zen Golf - Dr. Joseph Parent
Dave Pelz's Putting Bible
Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible

Just for fun-
Who's Your Caddy - Rick Reilly
Paper Tiger - Tom Coyne
A Gentlemen's Game - Tom Coyne
A Course Called Ireland - Tom Coyne

Are Feherty's books any good? Thanks!

Oddly enough I have several of those books. I've got Five Lessons, The Little Red Book, Tour Tempo, and Zen Golf.

I've also got Cracking the Code, Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect, Zen Putting, The Impact Zone, Golf My Way, and How I Play Golf.

My two non instructional but really good books are The Talent Code, and Talent is Overrated. Huge recommendations.

I'm a fan of John Feinstein's books - A Good Walk Spoiled, Caddy for Life, Tales from Q school and especially Moment of Glory

Mostly THP.

I have read or own Ben Hogan's Five Lessons, Harvey Penick's Little Red Book, both Pelz books, A Course Called Ireland, Haney's book on Tiger, Feinstein's A Good Walk Spoiled, Hogan's biography, I think there was a book about Hogan, Snead and Nelson but I don't remember the title, and Goodwyn's Dream Golf: The Making of Bandon Dunes. I think there are more, but that's what I remember right now. Hogan's book is a classic but I'm not sure everything in there is suitable for us mere mortals. I favor Pennick and Pelz's short game among the instructional books. A Course Called Ireland and the Hogan biography were my favorite non instructional reads.

Last edited:
Non-instruction related...add The Match; and The Greatest Game Ever Played to your list. Both by Mark Frost.

Edit...read them in this order: Greatest Game; and then The Match. There's one thing that links the story, and reading them in that order will make more sense.

Love Rotella's Books!

On Google books, you can read Harry Varden's stuff, for free.

Just started "The Feeling of Greatness" for the third time. It's a book that takes me back to the days when I first started playing, before metal woods and watered fairways on muni courses. Back when I played with balata balls that would cut wide open and be junk if you bladed them once. This book more than any other rekindles the spirit of the game in me that sometimes gets lost in the high expectation, high dollar, modern techno-golf world. The story is about Moe Norman, but it's not about any supposed "secret move" or any other "one plane" marketing B.S. It's just about a kid who learned how to hit the ball as solidly as anybody on the planet ever has and his struggles as an outcast (often due to his own actions) while trying to have his own brand of fun driven by an incredible love of hitting it pure. It's a great read. IMHO.

Back