Inconsistent face (closed/open) angle at impact

duckseatfree

Reaction score
Handicap
I recently had a lesson to help me figure out why my ball flight is so inconsistent. After some video analysis we figured out that I have a good in/out swing but the face angle of my clubs (usually 7-driver) is not consistent. I am consistently inconsistent!

Do you have any suggestions on a few drills that could help me ingrain the feel of having a square face at impact?

Not trying to be rude, but wouldn't the guy that just gave you a lesson that led you to this conclusion have a better idea and some good drills for you?

Do you have any video?

What did your instructor tell you to do? If he analysed the video he should have had some feedback?

If he did not offer up any advise, I have a few tips that will help.

Focus on hitting the ball with the back of the left hand. I like to take a 7 iron and make small swings with my left arms only. This will not only get you to hit the ball with a square face but it will build the muscles in your left.

What you are looking for in this drill is a consistent shot pattern in height and direction. Once this become comfortable for you, add the right hand and make the same swings, same tempo. Get a feel for that left hand contact with the right hand along for the ride.

Unfortunately, I had to do the lesson during my lunch hour and only had 1/2 hr with him. It took us a good bit to get to the conclusion that I had an inconsistent face angle at impact. I have a full hour with him on Wed but I was ecstatic that we figured out what it was that I left in a bit of a hurry. He told me to in-vision the motion like a backhand with tennis racquet (i used to play tennis) so it was a great visualization tool and helped out a bit. I'll be doing some drills with him on Wed. (obviously), but I'm hitting the chipping/driving range tonight and tomorrow night (the lady is out of town, woohoo!) and want to try to get some productive practice in.

Focus on hitting the ball with the back of the left hand.

This really helped me with naturally closing the face of my driver and has all but eliminated my dreaded slice. At impact I want to feel like my left hand is facing toward the target.

I had the same issue as you in relation to the slice for the driver but I have improved on that recently. I'm not saying it's totally resolved but I'm vastly improved. How did I do this ? Well I had some lessons at my local club but funny enough the best advice I took was from YouTube videos. If you check out the rob Bernard centre of gravity system - ie on you tube and give it a try. It helped me
Let me know how you get on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back