Graphite iron shaft question....

Have you looked in to that ebay worldwide shipping thing they have? Basically if you order something from a US seller, they ship it to ebay in KY and then ebay forwards it on to you. Not sure what costs are involved, but I know as a seller there was nothing for me to do extra. Haven't bought from outside US yet, but if I see something that interests me I may look more in to it.

I have had a little look, only thing i'm wary of is i have ordered a pair of shoes and a club from the US for my Dad in the last month and each got hit with a good chuck of customs and handling charges - still could be the way to go!

I think you might want to pay attention to weight and swingweight a little more. Those PX 6.0 are very stiff, especially in the tip section. Recoil 125's, MCI 120's, RIP Tour 115's in the stiffer flexes. I can see why the stock Apex recoils wouldn't be that appealing to you. They are super light.

This. Sticking to a similar weight was Paramount for me. Most people think people switch to graphite for light weight to increase distance. This just isn't the case add much anymore. Health issues seem to be the driving force, at least from the majority I have talked to who have made the switch.

... Health issues seem to be the driving force, at least from the majority I have talked to who have made the switch.

Same thing I have encountered, and it truly has helped with my own aches and pains.

This. Sticking to a similar weight was Paramount for me. Most people think people switch to graphite for light weight to increase distance. This just isn't the case add much anymore. Health issues seem to be the driving force, at least from the majority I have talked to who have made the switch.

I will try and demo the heavier recoils asap! Definitely the case for me, i'm really pleased with my current distance so would just like the same with graphite. The big upside is the comfort and the fact i can practice more with graphite shafts without worrying.

Just a quick update, i have been ringing around a list of Callaway stockists unfortunately haven't had any luck with the heavier Recoils or any other graphite option. I have now emailed Callaway this morning, i have read on here their customer service is excellent so looking forward to a response. The one thing i have been surprised by is that every place i have spoken to has said if you are playing PX 6.0, graphite isn't for you. I have explained my reason for changing but have been recommended an alternate steel shaft. This hasn't changed my opinion or desire to demo, but i have found it strange that each of the pros and fitters i have spoken to are completely pushing steel still - i can now see why i have found it so hard to try any graphite shaft options.

Just a quick update, i have been ringing around a list of Callaway stockists unfortunately haven't had any luck with the heavier Recoils or any other graphite option. I have now emailed Callaway this morning, i have read on here their customer service is excellent so looking forward to a response. The one thing i have been surprised by is that every place i have spoken to has said if you are playing PX 6.0, graphite isn't for you. I have explained my reason for changing but have been recommended an alternate steel shaft. This hasn't changed my opinion or desire to demo, but i have found it strange that each of the pros and fitters i have spoken to are completely pushing steel still - i can now see why i have found it so hard to try any graphite shaft options.
Ironically I came from px 6.0. I'm not sure who was saying that but it's just not accurate. The best part is not only is it not accurate it's horrible advice and one sided and clearly showing a lack of depth in shaft knowledge.

Ironically I came from px 6.0. I'm not sure who was saying that but it's just not accurate.

He was a pro and a club fitter - I was just polite and went along with it, as he had already said they didn't have any of the options i wanted to demo. My opinion i think much like yours is with trying out different graphite shafts i will find an option that equals or more than likely exceeds the performance of my current shaft. I have just found it a little bizarre peoples reactions to me saying i want to demo with graphite, there have been many negative/strange comments! It has actually turned in to hard work with such limited options.

My thing is this....why do all drivers all have graphite shafts? What is it about irons that more people aren't gravitating towards graphite over steel? Can you imagine the world with newer drivers that were steel shafts? Funny to think about but my point is graphite just seems to be the way to go yet more people are still hanging on the steel irons. It's strange to me but I'm also new to the sport.

SJ- I think it has a lot to do with the stigma of old graphite shafts being light weight high launch machines. It can be frustrating and unfortunately just may take an investment on your end to make the demo happen.

Darren- part of the problem is that the production #'s are low for high strength graphite iron shafts and this keeps cost high per piece. The cost deters a lot of people from buying but also a lot of fitter from putting them in their carts and if the shaft isn't in the cart to try then whose gonna buy?

SJ- I think it has a lot to do with the stigma of old graphite shafts being light weight high launch machines. It can be frustrating and unfortunately just may take an investment on your end to make the demo happen.

Yes i agree, unfortunately it looks like it may be a choice of picking a manufacturer and going to one of their locations. I have Titleist about 90 mins drive away and Callaway about 150 mins away. It's not too bad but just a shame i couldn't hit them and compare at the same place. I am edging towards the Apex but i did notice Callaways custom fit is indoors, i haven't really hit like this before and prefer the idea of seeing the ball flight.

My thing is this....why do all drivers all have graphite shafts? What is it about irons that more people aren't gravitating towards graphite over steel? Can you imagine the world with newer drivers that were steel shafts? Funny to think about but my point is graphite just seems to be the way to go yet more people are still hanging on the steel irons. It's strange to me but I'm also new to the sport.

I believe that once there are more graphite iron shaft options, more people will use them.

I believe that once there are more graphite iron shaft options, more people will use them.

Totally agree with this. Now the retail recoil shafts are in the $45 per shaft realm. Much better than $100 per shaft, but still some room to come down to make them a real viable option to most. I am playing some older Matrix MFS series shafts in a set of irons and they are doing fantastic. I built them to be a back up set, but they quickly kicked out my bridgestones.

I would research some smaller good club fitters and club builders in your area vs going to the performance centers. You may get your specs down to a T from a performance center, but the orders for the build go back to the company, where who knows if your clubs will be built to those specs.

I played steel shafts TTDG X100, to PX 6.5, to KBS CTAPER S+, for 20 years in my irons until the Program shafts came out from Matrix this year (I'm playing the Program 130 S+), and let me tell you, they've made a marked improvement in feel and consistency than anything I've ever played before. Issue with graphite has always been too light, too soft, too much spin, too much height for better players. The technology now going into these graphite shafts are such that you are getting the performance of the steel characteristics but the feel and low feedback of a graphite. Absolute gamechangers, not sure if I'd go back. Get with a good fitter who knows about the new graphite irons shaft and what weight and swing weight works best for you, and go from there.

I would research some smaller good club fitters and club builders in your area vs going to the performance centers. You may get your specs down to a T from a performance center, but the orders for the build go back to the company, where who knows if your clubs will be built to those specs.

Is this a common issue when buying from the manufacturers in that way?

I have been looking for a club builder but just haven't found anyone, it seems we aren't anywhere near as well catered for in the UK. After phoning different places for the last two weeks i haven't even found somewhere i can demo the recoils in the 95/110/125. Who would have thought i'd be finding it this hard to part with my money!

Give Fooore Golf Lab a look. Guy there named Howard is one of the most knowledgeable people I have ever spoken with about golf. He gave me a lot of good pointers on another forum when I was looking to start grinding my wedges for more versatility. He is a True Temper guy, but I am sure he can get pretty much anything you would ever need. He isn't in the UK, but over in Denmark. If you were to get fit somewhere local, I believe you could send him your specs to have clubs built. I guarantee they will be spot on to whatever you need.

Totally agree with this. Now the retail recoil shafts are in the $45 per shaft realm. Much better than $100 per shaft, but still some room to come down to make them a real viable option to most. I am playing some older Matrix MFS series shafts in a set of irons and they are doing fantastic. I built them to be a back up set, but they quickly kicked out my bridgestones.

$45 may be alright for tinkerers like us. But unless graphite is a stock option, most amateurs won't even look twice.

$45 may be alright for tinkerers like us. But unless graphite is a stock option, most amateurs won't even look twice.

Totally agree. It is nice to see some like Cally offering Recoils and TM offering Programs, but they are still charging a good price for the upgrade. If they would just do the stock graphite shafts in the 105 to 115 gram range, or at least have that option, I think the average golfer may be more apt to make the move.

Back