looking for a new shaft

trixxstyles

Reaction score
Handicap
hey all I have a taylormade R1 in stiff stock shaft been reading on forums some people have been having luck with this driver when they change the shaft. I cant hit this club at all (prolly because I suck at golf lol.) tried every setting and many many buckets of balls at the range. and can not get Constance out of this at the time its all over the place my swing speeds are avg 104 what shaft should I look at? If not i will just trade it for something I have hit well. ( I have hit the ping anser 10.5,nike covert 1.0 and 2.0, regular bio cell at the local golf stores)(, and my uncles titleist 913 d2)

I'd just trade it and get a driver that works better for you.

I will give the answer that most dont like to hear. A shaft change is not going to take a lousy golf shot and make it better. Its also not going to create better contact or a better swing path for almost all golfers.

The R1 is a solid offering from TaylorMade and it offers above average lateral forgiveness and plenty of custom options. It will not be a great option for everybody of course, like everything else.

I am with JB it might be better to spend the money on a lesson before getting a new shaft

I have the stock shaft (Aldila) and the alternate stock shaft (Fujikura) for the R1. I generally concur with JB - I tend to see easier trajectory with the Fujikura but it isn't a game changing type difference.

If you read the R1 thread you will see a common experience that many of us needed time to figure out the R1, but once we got it dialed in it was really good (the best driver yet for me). Maybe start at all neutral settings and 12 degrees. Spend some time with it at that setting before making adjustments. Resist the temptation to hit 5 or 10 shots then make adjustments.

I will give the answer that most dont like to hear. A shaft change is not going to take a lousy golf shot and make it better. Its also not going to create better contact or a better swing path for almost all golfers.

The R1 is a solid offering from TaylorMade and it offers above average lateral forgiveness and plenty of custom options. It will not be a great option for everybody of course, like everything else.

it might be my swing as i know i suck but the anser and the covert i hit well compared to the r1 its night and day I know its a good driver but was thinking with a shaft change it may be the one have read that the stock shaft is junk any way just looking for options is all

I have the stock shaft (Aldila) and the alternate stock shaft (Fujikura) for the R1. I generally concur with JB - I tend to see easier trajectory with the Fujikura but it isn't a game changing type difference.

If you read the R1 thread you will see a common experience that many of us needed time to figure out the R1, but once we got it dialed in it was really good (the best driver yet for me). Maybe start at all neutral settings and 12 degrees. Spend some time with it at that setting before making adjustments. Resist the temptation to hit 5 or 10 shots then make adjustments.
I will be trying this and going from there thanks guys for this info

Totally understandable brother. FWIW, I did not think the stock shaft was as bad as people made it out to be.

Totally understandable brother. FWIW, I did not think the stock shaft was as bad as people made it out to be.
I for one probably need a ton of lessons but to be able to hit the other ones better then this one is whats got me thinking shaft change but will set it to all neutral 10.5 and play a few rds and range sessions

looking for a new shaft

I for one probably need a ton of lessons but to be able to hit the other ones better then this one is whats got me thinking shaft change but will set it to all neutral 10.5 and play a few rds and range sessions

You may have better luck starting at max loft rather than 10.5.

To clarify, when I said we needed time to figure it out that means many of us didn't love it out if the box, then got to a point where we could hit it, then got it dialed in to our swings to maximize results. It just takes a little time. FWIW I have also hit other drivers better out of the box but they don't compare to the dialed R1 for me at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may have better luck starting at max loft rather than 10.5.

To clarify, when I said we needed time to figure it out that means many of us didn't love it out if the box, then got to a point where we could hit it, then got it dialed in to our swings to maximize results. It just takes a little time. FWIW I have also hit other drivers better out of the box but they don't compare to the dialed R1 for me at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thats great info sir when i get home tonight i will be resitting it to that then the weights for toe and heel. are 10g and 4g what are your recommendations for what weight where?

FWIW i recently acquired a R1 with stock stiff phenom shaft. I made the mistake of putting it right in play without hitting the range first (I would never do this again btw but I was excited to try it and it was league night). The first few tee shots were about 1 foot off the ground. Then over the last few weeks I hit a few decent ones and then begun to spray it right and left by playing with the settings. Its taken me 3 weeks of experimenting with it, but I think I may finally have it dialed in based on the last 4 tee shots I hit. Guess what. Its set to 10* completely neutral and I am bombing it. I am starting to feel more confident on the tee every week. I do feel that mis hits are more costly distance wise with this club vs others I have hit though.

FWIW i recently acquired a R1 with stock stiff phenom shaft. I made the mistake of putting it right in play without hitting the range first (I would never do this again btw but I was excited to try it and it was league night). The first few tee shots were about 1 foot off the ground. Then over the last few weeks I hit a few decent ones and then begun to spray it right and left by playing with the settings. Its taken me 3 weeks of experimenting with it, but I think I may finally have it dialed in based on the last 4 tee shots I hit. Guess what. Its set to 10* completely neutral and I am bombing it. I am starting to feel more confident on the tee every week. I do feel that mis hits are more costly distance wise with this club vs others I have hit though.

I have mine set at 10 degree neutral also. I was playing around with it changing weights switching, even buying different weights and other things around trying to find the perfect combo and ended up right where I started.

Back