TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

I get a little higher ball flight with more carry and roll plus the feel of the shaft is an improvement the ball also seems less effected by the wind. The ATX Tour Green i am using is a low mid spin and launch and seems to work will on my SLDR

The Tour Green is on my list to try with the SLDR, I have hit the shaft in other clubs. What is the difference between the ATX and the standard version?

Edit: maybe they are the same thing? I can't seem to find anything online that says otherwise

Last edited:
Can't blame my results on the SLDR so far as I have undergone a swing change. I have always hit a straight ball or fade with a miss right and have always suffered distance because of this. Had a few min with Hank Haney about a month ago and he said "no decent golfer hits to the right side". Meaning slices, obviously. He said learn to hit a book and we can work from there. Well, in my attempt to learn a draw and skipping g the hook , I found the hook first and am now trying to get back to the middle of the fairway.

There is no doubt it has increased my distance significantly but I am also far less consistent so far. The SLDR TP is definitely longer for me than my 9064LS was. I have gone from the 240-255 range with the occasional 265 shot to the 270-280 range with the occasional 295 shot. That said don't know which had more to do with it, the driver or swing change as they happened simultaneously.

So far, even though I am still spraying it about every 4 drive I plan on sticking with it until I can figure out this new swing.

The Tour Green is on my list to try with the SLDR, I have hit the shaft in other clubs. What is the difference between the ATX and the standard version?

Edit: maybe they are the same thing? I can't seem to find anything online that says otherwise

They are the same the Tour Green and Blue are all part of the ATX line

I took the plunge and picked up an SLDR today. Going to do some side by side testing with my R1 to decide which stays in the bag.

I took the plunge and picked up an SLDR today. Going to do some side by side testing with my R1 to decide which stays in the bag.

Congrats if it works for you you will love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats if it works for you you will love it

Thanks. I hit this combo on the range before buying so I have some idea what to expect. I think the best test though will to be simply to get in a few rounds with it out on the home course where I know exactly how the R1 has performed.

Had my first good round with this on Monday. Lost one ball OB right but was pretty damn happy with the rest of the round with the club. Definitely hitting the ball further.

I stayed away from this thing (cost where i live was a big reason too) as I read a lot of views that it was unforgiving. Whilst it was no g25 it didn't seem too unforgiving at all. Into the wind it was fantastic, even with a 12*. Will try the 10.5 before getting one but it is very straight and great into the wind, exactly what I am after given where I play.

Hit my 12 degree SLDR for first time at range last night. First setting tried was 11.5. Distance was same as R11S maybe a few yards longer, trajectory was higher, did not notice any meaningful forgiveness issues. Changed setting to 11 degrees same flight and distance, maybe a little higher trajectory, hard to tell on that.

This morning I DISCOVERED that the driver has a left handed adapter which means the settings are just the opposite. So when I thought I was lofting down , I was lofting up because of the LH ADAPTER. Since I got the driver new in plastic for $199.00 but w/0 headcover not sure if I WILL complain to EBAY seller 2nd Swing Golf, DOES NOT BOTHER ME BUT MAY EFFECT RESALE???

I know I would never loft up to anything higher than 12 on this 12 degree head. Will have to go to range again and test settings to see if I want to be at 12 or somewhere lower.

I guess they switched the shafts from a left handed one as it may have had an aftermarket one when they got it.
Hit my 12 degree SLDR for first time at range last night. First setting tried was 11.5. Distance was same as R11S maybe a few yards longer, trajectory was higher, did not notice any meaningful forgiveness issues. Changed setting to 11 degrees same flight and distance, maybe a little higher trajectory, hard to tell on that.

This morning I DISCOVERED that the driver has a left handed adapter which means the settings are just the opposite. So when I thought I was lofting down , I was lofting up because of the LH ADAPTER. Since I got the driver new in plastic for $199.00 but w/0 headcover not sure if I WILL complain to EBAY seller 2nd Swing Golf, DOES NOT BOTHER ME BUT MAY EFFECT RESALE???

I know I would never loft up to anything higher than 12 on this 12 degree head. Will have to go to range again and test settings to see if I want to be at 12 or somewhere lower.

I have had shafts with the LH adapter before it has not effected resale of those shafts so far

Love mine, set at standard 12 degree and 2 clicks to draw, iv gained around 5-10 yds over my bio cell and so consistent, haven't noticed any of the " not forgiving"....miss hits still go for me....

Love mine, set at standard 12 degree and 2 clicks to draw, iv gained around 5-10 yds over my bio cell and so consistent, haven't noticed any of the " not forgiving"....miss hits still go for me....

Do you have the 460cc SLDR or the supposedly less forgiving 430 model?

The 460, but it does have quite a small footprint compared to the G25 , bio cell , covert 2.0 etc

My SLDR has been amazing since I increased the loft to 12* on my 10.5* head. It closed the face which helped a ton with my fade/slice and I am getting more distance as well and it's more consistent. I went from worried about the club to loving the club!

I don't think size or "footprint" has anything to do with any perceived lack of forgiveness in the SLDR series. Any loss of forgiveness,(MOI), would be due to weight having been moved low and forward in the SLDR design. OEM's for years have placed more weight rearward in the head to increase MOI, (forgiveness), but that also tends to increase dynamic loft and produce added spin.

The Tour Players using SLDR Drivers actually have their Tour-issued heads "tweaked" for less weight in the forward area which then allows some extra weight (hot melt), to be added in the rear of the head to increase MOI, (forgiveness).

The "toe screw" which is found on the Tour-issue heads only, allows the weight located beneath the little "metallic cover" to be easily replaced with a lighter weight. The "slider weight" which is 20 grams, (including the 4 gram blue cap), for the Retail models is usually modified to contain less weight on Tour-issued heads. In addition to making room for increased weight rearward, (MOI), these weighting modifications also allow for precise swingweighting due to shaft weight and shaft length. Tour Players tend to use stiffer, heavier shafts with lower torqe numbers for more control.

Despite what TM might want the consumer to believe, there are these subtle differences between the Tour-issued SLDR's and the SLDR's we acquire from our local Retailers.

Also, well before the SLDR series came along, Tour Players, (thanks to the Tour Vans), were able to have weight moved around inside their clubheads to achieve very precise spin rates and launch angles, (i.e. the "perfect fitting"). Moving weight around the way the SLDR had done may seem new to us, but it is nothing new to them.

Unfortunately even with a good club fitter, the fitting process is still somewhat of a "hit-or-miss" proposition for most of us. We obviously don't have access to all the Tour Van's highly precise tweaking options. That said, our swings are not as consistent as a Tour Players either, so one could argue that such precise tweaking would probably be a bit of an "overkill" as we can't take full advantage due to our imperfect and inconsistent swings. Compared to Tour Players we are all just "Hackers" but there's certainly nothing wrong with that!

:dohanim:

Last edited:
I don't think size or "footprint" has anything to do with any perceived lack of forgiveness in the SLDR series. Any loss of forgiveness,(MOI), would be due to weight having been moved low and forward in the SLDR design. OEM's for years have placed more weight rearward in the head to increase MOI, (forgiveness), but that also tends to increase dynamic loft and produce added spin.

The Tour Players using SLDR Drivers actually have their Tour-issued heads "tweaked" for less weight in the forward area which then allows some extra weight (hot melt), to be added in the rear of the head to increase MOI, (forgiveness).

The "toe screw" which is found on the Tour-issue heads only, allows the weight located beneath the little "metallic cover" to be easily replaced with a lighter weight. The "slider weight" which is 20 grams, (including the 4 gram blue cap), for the Retail models is usually modified to contain less weight on Tour-issued heads.

Despite what TM might want the consumer to believe, there are these suble differences between the Tour-issued SLDR's and the SLDR's we can buy from our local Retailers.

It also reminds us that well before the SLDR Tour came along, Tour Players, (thanks to the Tour Vans, were able to have weight moved around inside their clubheads to achieve very precise spin rates and launch angles, (.e the perfect fitting for them).

Unfortunately even with a decent fitting, it is still somewhat of a hit or miss proposition for us. We obviously don't have access to the Tour Van's highly precise tweaking options. That said, our swings are not as consistent as a Tour Players either, so one could argue that such precise tweaking might be a bit of an "overkill" for most of us anyway.

:dohanim:

What is this toe screw you speak of? I'm looking at a picture of a tour issue head right now and see no toe screw.

tyzu4uqa.jpg

Below is an attached pic of a "Masters Edition" Tour-issued SLDR Driver showing the Toe Screw. You can find more pics on ebay by seraching Tour issue SLDR Drivers. Don't buy a Tour-issued SLDR unless it has the toe screw. (Click the attachment to view).

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Below is an attached pic of a "Masters Edition" Tour-issued SLDR Driver showing the Toe Screw. You can find more pics on ebay by seraching Tour issue SLDR Drivers. Don't buy a Tour-issued SLDR unless it has the toe screw.

I wouldn't buy a Tour Issue anything. They're really nothing special.

I wouldn't buy a Tour Issue anything. They're really nothing special.

Whatever....but at least now you know what one actually looks like...

Last edited:
Had a chance to give my SLDRs driver a test drive during Staff Sponsor day for the Morgan Cup. Hands down one of the best drivers they've ever made. I was swinging as hard as I could and I couldn't lose it left as long as I kept the weight near the toe. Tight fade after fade, and DEEP.

No lies, this SLDR S is the longest driver. It's the straightest driver. It's the best launching. I'm amazed art the performance.

I was recently fit for a driver and the two remaining competitors were the Titleist 913 and the SLDR.
I'm a 100-105 SS and the misses were worse with the SLDR.
I have heard it isn't for everyone and for me it was 8-9 yards longer but atleast 10 yards wider in dispersion.

Had a chance to give my SLDRs driver a test drive during Staff Sponsor day for the Morgan Cup. Hands down one of the best drivers they've ever made. I was swinging as hard as I could and I couldn't lose it left as long as I kept the weight near the toe. Tight fade after fade, and DEEP.

No lies, this SLDR S is the longest driver. It's the straightest driver. It's the best launching. I'm amazed art the performance.

VERY interesting. I wouldn't think that the SLDR S would be that mind blowing compared to the the adjustable version. Now I am intrigued.

Back