Low lofted drivers

zooropa

Reaction score
Handicap
Had to go to the course to drop off the sldr 12* to the shop owner who was nice enough to lend it to me. Anyway, played the last with him and one of his group hit a really low ball off the tee than ran miles. On asking he has a low lofted drivers that he has for windy days (it was about 30km/h wind) and he said downwind he just hits a 3 wood. As it is windy most of the time I thought about doing similar. Anyone else do this?

If the wind is coming at me I hit a 3 wood or a 4 iron of my front toe, for less loft. If it's blowing toward the green I take the big stick (9'5 loft) and smack it, and watch it ride an extra 40 yard or so.

if the wind is really nasty i hit 3 wood or 3h a little back of normal to get a lower more penetrating shot

I've never really had an issues hitting my driver in on a windy day.

I rarely have to deal with excessive winds, only durring shoulder seasons. So I just play it normal most of the time, occasionally keep it low.

if the wind is really nasty i hit 3 wood or 3h a little back of normal to get a lower more penetrating shot

How would that give you any more distance into the wind than a driver?

I've never really had an issues hitting my driver in on a windy day.

Lucky you. The other day on a 400 metre par 4 I hit driver 3 wood and was 40 short of the green. Flushed them both.

but would generate more spin than a driver.

I just tee driver lower into the wind.

How would that give you any more distance into the wind than a driver?

i can keep the ball lower an out of the wind so it has less chance to be knocked out of the air or blown off line in bad winds

I've never hit a 3 wood further, into the wind, than I have a driver. I just hit driver. I've found that if I miss even just a little with the 3W, the extra spin combined with the wind just accentuates any misses left and right. Driver gives me less spin, lower launch, which, to me, is what I'm after in the first place. I may tee it down a bit for accuracy, but this accentuates spin as well.

I'm married so having a spare driver for windy days would be a tough sell. Plus, it doesn't usually get that windy here.

Play the ball back a bit and choke down on your driver a couple of inches. Limit your follow-thru to reduce spin, much like hitting a punch shot or a knockdown shot against the wind with an iron. If you execute the shot properly, the ball will stay beneath the wind and run like crazy when it lands.

You'll be amazed at just how accurate you can be with this kind of driver shot, so I recommend using it anytime during a round when it absolutely critical that you hit the fariway with good distance. It is actually quite easy to hit a "driver stinger" shot if you follow the steps above.

:act-up:

Last edited:
I sometimes tee the ball a little higher if the wind is at my back and a little lower if I'm into the wind. Generally I don't switch clubs.

I hate when the wind is at my back. Hate it. Give me a head wind everyday. That being said, hit driver and just account for the distance loss. No way should a 3w go farther into the wind than a driver.

Back