Callaway Mack Daddy 2 vs Titleist Vokey SM5

Status
Not open for further replies.

TicTacToe

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi everybody,

I just tested these two wedges yesterday. The Callaway Mack Daddy 2 felt more solid than Tittleist Vokey SM5. The SM5 was shaky even when the ball contacted the sweetspot.

The shaft of SM5 is a bit longer than than that of Mack Daddy 2. That being the case, those who struggle for distance could opt for SM5 as longer shaft promotes extra distance just like some long shafted drivers produced by Japanese sweatshops.

Let me know what you think, guys.

Distance shouldn't be the concern with a wedge IMO. It's all about shot control. That being said, I think most wedges are the same. Either you have the technique or you don't.

From what I have read here, the SM5s have gotten more love.

Please note, I play sm5s.

The Mac daddy felt softer which being forged it should. The feel of the vokey on 1/4 1/2 3/4 and full shots to me trumped the Mac daddy. I had what I felt was better control with the vokey. I play sm4 which can be had at a deal right now

Not really sure of the question posed here.

I disagree but that's my opinion

That's fine. Objective science, the people who make the clubs, and the tour pros who use them cannot tell a difference.

That's fine. Objective science, the people who make the clubs, and the tour pros who use them cannot tell a difference.

I'm going based off my experience working in the metal business and with the machining of metals.

I'm going based off my experience working in the metal business and with the machining of metals.

I'm going off of the experiences of people and cast or forged golf clubs.

Yeah I get a bug a boo about the cast and forged. "Forged feel" is misinformation.

Hi everybody,

I just tested these two wedges yesterday. The Callaway Mack Daddy 2 felt more solid than Tittleist Vokey SM5. The SM5 was shaky even when the ball contacted the sweetspot.

The shaft of SM5 is a bit longer than than that of Mack Daddy 2. That being the case, those who struggle for distance could opt for SM5 as longer shaft promotes extra distance just like some long shafted drivers produced by Japanese sweatshops.

Let me know what you think, guys.

Most honest answer is go with what you like and what you will be confident in when you pull it

Yeah I get a bug a boo about the cast and forged. "Forged feel" is misinformation.

You get a bug a boo with anything that doesn't agree with you lol

I like the Mackdaddy in the lob wedge, but haven't hit any other lofts.

I have a set of each and this is my second set of Vokeys. The head weights in the MD2 wedges are just too heavy for my liking and have too much bounce for my game.

I just checked on the material used for each club:

SM5 - 8620 (soft alloy steel)
MD2 - 1020 (soft carbon steel)
Mizuno GFF - 1025E (soft carbon steel)

I have to say that 8620 does not feel as good as 1020 or 1025. I have tested Wilson FG62 (8620) and Nike VR Procombo (1020).

I actually prefer Mizuno MP-T 11 Black Nickel wedges but they are not in the market now. I think MD2 has the best features among all wedges in market now. Designed by Roger Cleveland, used by Phil Mickelson, compact head size, forged 1020 carbon steel.

But I am yet to make decision..

I like the feel of the MacDaddy 2 much softer

Ok. Forged feels "different" than cast. Not sure how people can deny this. I have always played Vokey wedges. Wanted to like the MDs but prefer lower bounce.....

I have a set of each and this is my second set of Vokeys. The head weights in the MD2 wedges are just too heavy for my liking and have too much bounce for my game.
The weight is what i love about them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back