Ole Gray

Mayor of the Woodshed
Reaction score
Handicap
Average
I have had t worst sugar cravings lately. It's driving me nuts because I'm afraid it could not only cause the unwanted weight gain, but diabetes too. Last Thursday I had a follow up on some blood work with my doc. She said I had a condition called hypothyroidism which can cause carb craving. That's because energy levels are low and you're trying to get some pep in ya step by eating stuff that makes you feel better. Well it might make ya feel better temporarily however it kicks your butt in other ways.

How do you combat the sugar cravings?

With fruit and veggies.

Exercise! I know that's not what anyone wants to hear haha but it works

I drink a lot of the Sweet Tea MIO, it contains no sugar nor does it contain aspartame and has zero calories. It does have a very sweet taste and might help your sugar cravings buddy. Give it a try.

Look to foods like almonds, yogurt, apples to give you a boost but with little sugar.

I drink a lot of the Sweet Tea MIO, it contains no sugar nor does it contain aspartame and has zero calories. It does have a very sweet taste and might help your sugar cravings buddy. Give it a try.

Tee is not naturally sweet, to my understanding, how is your sweet tee sweetened?

Exercise! I know that's not what anyone wants to hear haha but it works

I hit the gym four times per week. I love fruit and veggies however don't sit a family size bag of m&m's with peanuts beside me. I'll demolish nearly the whole bag. Also ice cream is a weak link. Put a box of chocolate covered brown mules beside me and it's on like donkey kong. I'm going to have to NOT buy anymore junk stuff for our home. My craving these days is too strong to not submit.

Tee is not naturally sweet, to my understanding, how is your sweet tee sweetened?

This:

0004300000085_500X500.jpg

I hit the gym four times per week. I love fruit and veggies however don't sit a family size bag of m&m's with peanuts beside me. I'll demolish nearly the whole bag. Also ice cream is a weak link. Put a box of chocolate covered brown mules beside me and it's on like donkey kong. I'm going to have to NOT buy anymore junk stuff for our home. My craving these days is too strong to not submit.
Ahhh I know all too well OG. You named some of my favorites haha like you said tho having them next to you is an issue so I'd try just not having them in the house. Going to be tough haha you can do it tho

What kind of carbs are you eating now?

Yeah - part of me screams to avoid that. It's a sweetener that contains no sugar. Which means in contains something to make it sweet. In fact it contains some scary artificial sweeteners. I would rather have half a spoonful of real sugar. Ole Gray is not craving sweet, his body is craving energy. Energy comes from carbs. Whole grains for sustained energy, sugar for quick boosts. Get more sleep.

Don't rely on artificial sweeteners.

What kind of carbs are you eating now?

I love oatmeal for breakfast with blueberries with a hand full of nuts thrown on top. I buy mostly oat products when I purchase cereal at the store. I eat a ton of bananas, apples, peaches etc. Bread is something I have eaten too much of but I have been better lately with that. My energy level starting dropping the last few months and I started grabbing more and more sweets for pick me ups. Now I'm hooked on the junk. I've up my workouts at the gym because I'm afraid if I don't, I'll blow up like the Goodyear blimp.

When I get those cravings lately I have been turning to Almonds.

If I find myself hungry at all, almonds are my first choice. I tend to find even 5 or 6 of them turn off the hunger pretty quickly.

I love oatmeal for breakfast with blueberries with a hand full of nuts thrown on top. I buy mostly oat products when I purchase cereal at the store. I eat a ton of bananas, apples, peaches etc. Bread is something I have eaten too much of but I have been better lately with that. My energy level starting dropping the last few months and I started grabbing more and more sweets for pick me ups. Now I'm hooked on the junk. I've up my workouts at the gym because I'm afraid if I don't, I'll blow up like the Goodyear blimp.

All of those workouts are making you crave sugar. Cut back on your workouts (blasphemy!). You're working yourself too hard and your body is craving fuel. How much protein do you eat?

I am a touch out of my comfort zone, I am not as......errr.....annually advanced as you are. But please, do not rely on artificial sweeteners.

OG, did she prescribe Synthroid? I got diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 2 years ago and have to take a pill every day to counter.

All of those workouts are making you crave sugar. Cut back on your workouts (blasphemy!). You're working yourself too hard and your body is craving fuel. How much protein do you eat?

I am a touch out of my comfort zone, I am not as......errr.....annually advanced as you are. But please, do not rely on artificial sweeteners.

It's funny you mentioned the protein. Kelly and I were talking this morning about bumping up the protein consumption up to try and eliminate the carb cravings. I'm thinking the stress of moving and remodeling our home has been a large culprit in our diets. More junk stuff than good protein lately. In fact very little protein besides peanuts and cheese.

It's funny you mentioned the protein. Kelly and I were talking this morning about bumping up the protein consumption up to try and eliminate the carb cravings. I'm thinking the stress of moving and remodeling our home has been a large culprit in our diets. More junk stuff than good protein lately. In fact very little protein besides peanuts and cheese.

As you add protein, remember to drink more water. It will be easier on your kidneys.

OG, did she prescribe Synthroid? I got diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 2 years ago and have to take a pill every day to counter.

She said if possible we would wait a few more weeks to put me on the medicine. Reason being once I started it, I would be on it for life. She did say if you continue to feel out of it, then she would go ahead and start the medication. I've had some weird symptoms lately with being run down (lack of energy) being just one of them.

As you add protein, remember to drink more water. It will be easier on your kidneys.

Thanks blue for the advice and I will drink lots of water. Consuming water is something I have no problem with as that is the main thing we consume in our home. We don't keep soft drinks in the fridge. It's a good thing because I would be sucking those puppies down like a vacuum cleaner.

when I have a big sugar craving, I sometimes eat a bit of 80% dark chocolate, it is chocolate, helps with the craving, but contains very little sugar. fruits and nuts help too

I've had two close friends who had their thyroid removed but I remembered leading up to it that most times (?) issues with the thyroid are caused by the autoimmune system.

With that thought, I was going to recommend your supplementing with Omega-3 and probiotics. I'm sure you've been reading up but the first site I found recommended the same:

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-3139/13-Ways-to-Treat-Hypothyroidism-Naturally.html

Craving sugar!

Thanks for the great info! There is a bunch of info on the web however it's always good to hear advice from my THP buddies

Last edited:

Processed sugar (processed carbs) are harder to quit than cigarettes. Once you kick it your body will adjust your insulin action to release what you need. For me I had to kick caffeine too since it was mucking up my adrenal glands and getting my blood sugar all wonky as well. There is no easy way to do it accept eat veggies and fruit and lots and lots of water.

Now that I'm past it and feeding my body proper I will never go back. It's just such a better life.

Processed sugar (processed carbs) are harder to quit than cigarettes. Once you kick it your body will adjust your insulin action to release what you need. For me I had to kick caffeine too since it was mucking up my adrenal glands and getting my blood sugar all wonky as well. There is no easy way to do it accept eat veggies and fruit and lots and lots of water.

Now that I'm past it and feeding my body proper I will never go back. It's just such a better life.

My goal is to do the same buddy although I will still have to go on meds for my thyroid being out of whack. :beat-up: Kicking sugary products to the curb will go a long way to help my cause.

My goal is to do the same buddy although I will still have to go on meds for my thyroid being out of whack. :beat-up: Kicking sugary products to the curb will go a long way to help my cause.

I would also like to add it improved my putting as well =)

Back