Swing Speed vs Distance vs Shaft

malemotives

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 17.4
As my golf swing has taken shape and become somewhat consistent over the past few months, my club head speed has increased from 90 to 105. As best as I can tell, I'm not swinging the club any harder, but I have managed to keep my hips from releasing too soon and get a good weight transfer. Not bad for an old codger, I'm told, but it really hasn't had that much of a noticeable impact on my drive distance, which remains at an average of 238 (carry). I'm told that the next step is to go from the regular flex shaft I'm using to a stiff flex. I don't know that much about it, so I am relying on my instructor's knowledge and word.

If you have good knowledge about shaft selections I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

are you hitting the regular flex shaft well? I don't see a reason to change if you are.

If you're swinging 105 with 238 carry something is off.

are you hitting the regular flex shaft well? I don't see a reason to change if you are.

I am... pretty much, and I am used to it. But my teaching pro tells me it's time to change. He hasn't steered me wrong yet and his instruction has made a marked difference in my swing and my game. I trust his judgement and will move to the stiff shaft, but I'm just curious about the mechanics of it, which he hasn't yet explained. His decision was made based on our last four sessions on the simulator and last two sessions on the course.

I am... pretty much, and I am used to it. But my teaching pro tells me it's time to change. He hasn't steered me wrong yet and his instruction has made a marked difference in my swing and my game. I trust his judgement and will move to the stiff shaft, but I'm just curious about the mechanics of it, which he hasn't yet explained. His decision was made based on our last four sessions on the simulator and last two sessions on the course.

if you're actually at 105, and he's not just feeding you crap, I would try it, just to see what happens.. it can't hurt.

if you're actually at 105, and he's not just feeding you crap, I would try it, just to see what happens.. it can't hurt.

I'm going to without giving up my regular driver. I just bought a Ping Rapture 9 deg with an Adila VS Proto Stiff Flex shaft. I just need to change the grip when it arrives. I'm still curious about the mechanics.

Here's a decent chart for swing speed + distance baselines..

a4655c7f_vbattach829.jpg

If you're swinging 105 and only carrying 238, something is amiss. I'm not really sure making the switch from regular to stiff is going to get you that extra yardage, but I also don't know what your swing looks like. It's an impressive feat to improve 15mph in a short period of time though!!

a4655c7f_vbattach829.jpg

If you're swinging 105 and only carrying 238, something is amiss. I'm not really sure making the switch from regular to stiff is going to get you that extra yardage, but I also don't know what your swing looks like. It's an impressive feat to improve 15mph in a short period of time though!!

Thanks.... next week I will be able to keep better track of my data, with the addition of a printer to our simulator. I will receive a printed summary after each session.

Changing to a stiffer flex shouldn't really add distance. You might see some less spin which could help.

From a quick guestimation, either your swing speed measurement is off or your yardage tracking is off.

Did you get any other launch numbers with your swing speed. Like ball speed, launch angle, and spin?

Changing to a stiffer flex shouldn't really add distance. You might see some less spin which could help.

From a quick guestimation, either your swing speed measurement is off or your yardage tracking is off.

Did you get any other launch numbers with your swing speed. Like ball speed, launch angle, and spin?

I did, but I don't recall them. The only number he focused on was the swing speed, so I didn't give the others much attention. But I will be getting session printouts from now on.

I've been reading up a lot on this and it seems there are quite a few who have 105 SS with average distance of 235 to 250 carry. Others say they are at 260 to 280. Sort of adds to the confusion. I do know that real world numbers... away from indoors simulator, my on the course average drive is closer to 220 carry. While I have hit well over 260 on occasion, that's all about conditions, elevation of tee and other factors. Distance is nice, but personally, I think being in the fairway is nicer.

Which charts are really accurate... and why?

1911856_10152370322198401_4532053479247145914_n.jpg

The one posted here is probably accurate, but if any of the variables change, the carry distance does as well. Angle of attack, launch angle and spin rate are all variable depending on your swing, driver, shaft, ball, etc.

For example, when I tested drivers before I bought my last one I hit 10-12 different models on the same day in the same conditions. My club head speed was very similar with most of the clubs, but the carry distance ranged from 245-270 largely due to spin rate (and some due to launch angle). I love orange so I really wanted to buy an orange Cobra, but it just didn't launch the ball in the right conditions for me. I would suspect that something similar is happening with your driver as your carry distance is pretty low for your swing speed, but you'll have to try some different things to figure out exactly where you should be.

The various reps i have watched do fittings have all put people in stiff shafts. Depending on the various #s ss, spin, launch angle they will change to a shaft with a differnt weight, kickpoint to optimize the numbers. I have a swing speed that is around 102-105 and with the G20/Diamana Blue+ I was carrying the ball on avg 230-238, I changed to the Diamana Whiteboard 72 and carry distance went up to 250ish sometimes a little less but consistently around 250

Swing speed is only one determining factor for distance. Canadans chart is more accurate because it takes into account other important issues, specifically launch angle and spin rate. From someone more concerned with dispersion then distance, your teacher has you looking at the wrong info.

a4655c7f_vbattach829.jpg

There is all that and where you hit it on the club face makes a huge difference with the driver. The huge face provides the trampoline effect when hit in the centre of the face or close to the centre and less when struck toward the edges. You are really the only person who can tell the quality of the strike, apart from obvious dull sounding misses on the heel and toe.

Judge your distance not on an average but on the well struck shots and see if your average changes.

As my golf swing has taken shape and become somewhat consistent over the past few months, my club head speed has increased from 90 to 105. As best as I can tell, I'm not swinging the club any harder, but I have managed to keep my hips from releasing too soon and get a good weight transfer. Not bad for an old codger, I'm told, but it really hasn't had that much of a noticeable impact on my drive distance, which remains at an average of 238 (carry). I'm told that the next step is to go from the regular flex shaft I'm using to a stiff flex. I don't know that much about it, so I am relying on my instructor's knowledge and word.

If you have good knowledge about shaft selections I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

I'm half your age and have a swing speed lower than you (around 98-100 mph with the driver) and just got fit into a driver that I can carry reliably 240-250. Your swing speed is much better than "not bad for an old codger", that's for sure. However, a simple shaft change might not fix your issues. If you haven't done it already, you should go get fit for a driver on a launch monitor (NOT just a simulator) that gives you the following data: launch angle, spin rate, carry distance, swing speed, and ball speed. Attack angle would be nice as well but it's not mandatory.

There is a lot more at play with carry distance than swing speed. I swing my driver at around 95 mph and can carry it 250-260 on a properly launched ball, so to me 105 and 238 would suggest a low ball flight. I managed to increase my carry by changing my setup with my driver, with help from the pro. I'm not sure that a different shaft, based on simply changing the flex, would make all that much difference. That said I use a stiff flex and swing 10 MPH slower so it's not like he's wrong there.

I'm half your age and have a swing speed lower than you (around 98-100 mph with the driver) and just got fit into a driver that I can carry reliably 240-250. Your swing speed is much better than "not bad for an old codger", that's for sure. However, a simple shaft change might not fix your issues. If you haven't done it already, you should go get fit for a driver on a launch monitor (NOT just a simulator) that gives you the following data: launch angle, spin rate, carry distance, swing speed, and ball speed. Attack angle would be nice as well but it's not mandatory.

Actually, I have been fitted for my Ping driver, which I use. I was also fitted for my Ping irons... which I no longer use since getting my Mizunos. I cut and regripped them (Mizunos), with my JumbopMax grips, to the same specs as my Pings. And the Simulator I train on is a launch monitor. All the data you mention is available to me, and more.

The chart I posted shows 100 mph SS distance is 228 yds and suggests that 238 at 105 is not far off. Other charts say it should be 260 or so. Some tell me they have similar numbers, other say their distance is much further. The more I read the more confusing it gets. Clearly X-stiff is out of my league and I'm still not sure about the Stiff. Since I bought a club (Ping Rapture) just like mine, except with a 9.5 loft, with a stiff shaft, I will try it. But I am a bit apprehensive. My launch angle and ball flight is pretty high, leading me to believe I lose some carry distance. I don't know. We'll see. Next Monday I will get a print out from the Simulator/Launch monitor.

The chart Canadan is a good baseline for what is possible. Problem is that swing speed doesn't mean a lot. Ball speed, angle of attack, launch, and then spin are what you need to dial in and those things often rely on the swing moreso than a shaft. High swing speed with a slice swing or severe angle of attack issues is going to result in less than optimal distance for a number of reasons. Can't truly fix that with a golf shaft unfortunately.

driver loft, launch angle, spin rate, well struck/off center shots are all a determining factor. I can say with confidence that unless your spin rate is high then switching to a different shaft isn't going to make a noticeable difference. your fitter needs to determine what kick point in the shaft and driver loft is going to suit your game the best.

I am 27 and my swing speed hovers around 90+/- mph and my drives avg. 230+/- yards. I don't see how 15 more mph would result in less yardage, unless other factors are impacting your yardage. I wouldn't get stuck on swing speed, there are more important factors like solid face contact / "smash factor." I cut my shaft down to 45" and started getting much more solid face contact and my drives have never been better--no change in swing speed.

Lots of good stuff here.... thank you. My next lesson on the simulator/launch monitor is Monday morning. I will bring this all up with my instructor. Thanks to the feedback, I can go into the conversation with a bit more knowledge and the correct questions.

I hover in the 105-110 mph swing speed, so right around you, and the only way I hit it 238ish is on an off center hit or going against the wind. I'm right at 250 and expect to be a little better with my Stage2 over my Burner, switching from 9.5* to 10.5*. I would check your AoA next time you can get the numbers.

Back