Slow Play in your group or a group in front of you?

jlukes

Reaction score
What bugs you more?

My last two rounds have taught me that slow play from someone within my group bothers me much more than when it is a group in front of me.

Nothing more frustrating than watching the group in front of you dissappear and the group behind you standing around waiting for a person or people your group to play.

Both are terrible.

If I had to choose I would say within my group as I don't want to be "that group" holding up everyone else. I also like the fact that if they are with me I can help to control the pace and tell them we need to get a move on.

In my group. It's hard when it's the group ahead of you as well, but even harder knowing that a player in your group is backing things up for those behind you.

In front of me. And its not close.

I think both can be a bit challenging, but I agree with your conclusion; someone in your own group who plays rather slow can be grating for sure. I am a rather fast player, no real practice swings, line up and fire type style. But, I do appreciate the challenge of learning to play at different speeds, because the pace of golf, while rather consistent overall, varies from round to round and competitor to competitor.

For me it's definitely more frustrating when the group in front is slow. If there's a slow guy in my group I can at least encourage him to pick up the pace and help if needed but there's nothing I can do about the boneheads ahead of us except hope the marshal comes by (which most time results in absolutely nothing anyhow).

Hmmmmmm. Well, when it's in front of me, I at least get to enjoy time with the people in my group while we stand around and wait. But then I get taken out of the flow of my game. When it's in my group, I (for no real reason) stay in the flow of my game, but then were that group, and I'm constantly looking back, waiting for someone to hit into me.

It's a tough one, I'm calling it a draw.

~Rock

I would have to say that slow play in front of me bothers me more. That was certainly the case this weekend in a fund raiser scramble I played in this past weekend. The guys in front of us were right at 3 holes behind the group in front of them at the end of the round.
That being said, it still gets on my nerves when I play with a guy that takes 15 practice swings for every shot. Just hit the dang ball already!

In my group without a doubt. There's always a smidgeon of hope that I'll get through a slow group in front of me.

The group in front of me. I can keep myself busy on my phone or talking with a playing partner while we wait, and that sorta helps. Waiting on a person in my group is frustrating. Times like that are where it's not always a bad idea to take the clubs you need and walk to your ball. You're going to be waiting anyway, you might as well enjoy a nice walk out of it.

In front of me, in my group we can do things to speed up to account for the slow player, with the group in front we are stuck waiting.

In front of me is worse IMO. If it's my group and I wasn't paired with strangers I'd have no trouble telling a buddy to speed it up. Also, if our group was slow I'd let the group behind play through at the first opportunity.
I get aggravated waiting for a group and getting more aggravated when they don't do the right thing and let a faster group play through, especially if there are holes open in front of them. Nothing pisses me off more.

In front of me, in my group we can do things to speed up to account for the slow player, with the group in front we are stuck waiting.

^^^This.

Waiting either way is a bummer. I like to play fast, I can play 9 walking in under an hour and half. If it's someone in my group, I can play ready golf and do my part to speed things up, the group in front, I have no control over.

In front of me. I can talk to the guys in my group to speed us up, hard to convince the group in front of you to speed up.

80% of the problems with slow play are start times too close together. Its funny but the muni I play most regularly starts based on where the group in front is. When the group in front is on the green, then its your turn to start. That gives enough time that you can get moving and it tends to keep moving unless there is a group in front of you playing from the trees all day.

As for the OP's question, in my group it bothers me more. I will say something to the guy or guys and tell them to get moving or they will be left behind.

Both scenarios suck but I would rather wait on people in front than people in my group. The anxiety that builds being the group causing a back up trumps the frustration of waiting on the group in front.

Slow in front isn't nearly as bad for my play as slow play in my group.

1) Some people get agitated if you even suggest the group's playing slow.
2) I then try to hurry MYSELF up to make up for someone else and totally bugger my round.

I dislike both and they each disrupt my game. I think having a slow person in my own group when we are holding others up bothers me more though. I tend to rush my shots and play faster than normal to try to make up for the slow person.

Slow play is an irritant period. However I find it more frustrating if someone in my group plays slow, and really irritated if we have an open hole in front of us (which often happened in league play, depending on who our team was paired against - there are some SLOW golfers in our leagues). Luckily, the groups I predominantly play in, outside of league play, are made up of golfers who play fast.

Last edited:
In front is probably worse because I can't do anything to fix it. I can at least prod somebody in my group to move along. That being said though, it does drive me nuts when I watch somebody delude themselves that they are not the problem and blame it on everything else but the real reason, which is that they are taking 4 practice swings, can't pick a damn club, and spend 10 minutes looking for a ball.

I hate slow play in my own group. I feel responsible for it even if I'm not and I have to fight the urge to get rude if they don't pick it up after being told.
Your ball is lost. Drop a new one dangit.

The slow group in front is more frustrating to me. As has been stated, if it's happening in my group, it's somewhat controllable to move along.

My group, no question. I cannot stand waiting for a group in front of me, so it is agonizing to think my group is causing others to wait around.

My gorup. i would much rather wait than be the group others are waiting on. Waiting for the grouo ahaed is just a matter of acceptance and learning to deal with it. But having a group waiting on you is the real pressure as there is nothing to accept unless you dont care.

infront of me nothing is worse than waiting 15 min at every tee

Back