General Consensus on being paired up with Beginners

Love it, it makes me realize that even though I am not a particularly good golfer, I have come a long way from those days when the 5 or 6 shots I was able to get air borne during a round were absolutely thrilling to me. I also love to play with someone head and shoulders better as I enjoy watching how they maneuver the ball around the course.

Last edited:
Played with an absolute beginner today. The looks on her face when she'd get ahold of one off the tee were just awesome.

Last summer was the first summer I really played golf, aside from going to the range or playing in a scramble with friends. I won't lie - I was terrified to go to the course by myself and get paired up. I usually end up solo, but the few times I did get paired up have been great. I'm sure I'm due for a dud soon, but when I tell people that I'm still a relative noob and what my game is like, usually I'll get a laugh and "oh so you're better than me then!" and we'll have a fun round together (and yes they're almost always better than me... by a long shot!).

As a relative beginner myself, I love it.

It depends on the person really. We all have our struggles out there. I'm not one to look down on someone for how they're playing

I enjoy playing with new people and have made some regular playing partners that way. In most cases you rarely see them again so if they are jerks I just ignore them and go about my round but I haven't had to many experiences like that. I am cordial to them and don't offer advice unless asked. I help them look for their balls and treat them how I want to be treated. Plus you never know who you might get paired with. I had the pleasure of getting paired with Cory Redding when he was still with the Ravens.

I could care less about someone's skill level when I play with them. As long as they are a nice person then I'll enjoy my round. I do really enjoy seeing the joy on a beginners face when they knock one in the fairway or hit it on the green on an approach.

I have no problems with it. Patience, offering encouragement and stressing having fun are keys to make for a good experience for all.

The beginners I typically end of playing with are youngsters because them and I are typically the only ones that walk at my course year round. I get encouraged for the long term health of the game when I see the same youngsters plugging away quite often on the range and on the course.

Boston Golfer, first of all, let's tee it up sometime this year since we live relatively close to one another. Second, all of us have been beginners at one time, so I don't have a problem playing with beginners. The only people I have trouble playing a round with are very slow players or very disrespectful players (either to me or the course).

I don't mind being paired with beginners at all. We were all beginners once. Being rather new to playing golf again I haven't found a ton of people to play regularly with either so I play with strangers a lot. Most of the time it's pretty enjoyable.

Played with an absolute beginner today. The looks on her face when she'd get ahold of one off the tee were just awesome.

I just started taking my son out this summer (9 y/o) and on those times he connects with one are priceless. It's funny playing with him cause he reminds me of when I firsts started playing except for the fact that I was a lot older than him when I started. Theres a water hole on the course I take him to and he always wants to tee it up there and I usually let him hit 1 or 2 from the tee box then move him off to the side. He would keep getting close but not quite get there, well the time he got that ball over you would of thought he won the Masters. What I'm really getting at is I almost feel jaded cause its sorta like we don't truly appreciate those little accomplishments and watching a new golfer is (to me at least) really fun to enjoy it with them.

I say you were unfortunate to get paired with a couple of horses arses.

I expect the same thing of my playing partners that I expect of myself: play promptly, respect the rules of the game, don't give advice unless it's asked for, remember etiquette and don't be an idiot (club thrower, screamer). Skill level is completely irrelevant to those expectations.

I don't mind at all, and will gladly give advice if asked. I'd rather play w/ a beginner than some "pros" with egos that hit mulligans and/or don't count strokes...

I just started taking my son out this summer (9 y/o) and on those times he connects with one are priceless. It's funny playing with him cause he reminds me of when I firsts started playing except for the fact that I was a lot older than him when I started. Theres a water hole on the course I take him to and he always wants to tee it up there and I usually let him hit 1 or 2 from the tee box then move him off to the side. He would keep getting close but not quite get there, well the time he got that ball over you would of thought he won the Masters. What I'm really getting at is I almost feel jaded cause its sorta like we don't truly appreciate those little accomplishments and watching a new golfer is (to me at least) really fun to enjoy it with them.
I love this post. I'm experiencing the same thing with my 9 year old son. If he behaves himself and adheres to some basic etiquette (playing in turn, not talking while others are playing, introducing himself to playing partners, hat off and handshake after the round, playing at a quick pace) we go for a post round ice cream. We haven't kept score yet. There is a lot of joy from the small things. It is refreshing and fun.

It's taking me a long time to get over the nervousness of playing with others and its still an issue sometimes. In another post I started that is similar to this, someone said there is no reason to be nervous because im not a pro and there is no point in getting worked up over it. I find that now adays I like playing with new people weather they are good or awful. Just try to remember that you are playing the course not the other people. I can always learn something new from any level of players. Play with a THP'ER and the worries will disappear.

I will play with anyone as long as they keep up pace.

That's all i really care about.

I'll play with anyone on two conditions.
1) keep a decent pace
2) don't look forever for your ball. You hit it into 12" grass...she's gone.

Follow up from the post I made. Here is what I was told and was helpful. ..........,...........................My dad told me years ago, from a place of love, "You aren't good enough to get angry or be nervous....just go out and have a great time." It works for me because I am not a great golfer.<br/>

lol...I think I sometimes don't look long enough for my ball. I was playing with a buddy who's a bit better than me, and a scratch golfer. Honestly, if I don't find my ball with my first pass, and a quick second glance, I'm taking a drop. A few times I've been told "Hey man, keep looking...I think it's right in there somewhere."

As long as you keep up and don't throw clubs or otherwise be an ass, someone being a beginner doesn't bother me.

Ive got no problem. I started there once and people had to put up with me. We have had some guys just start the game at work and I have told them to come for a hit with us, they say but im not very good, I just say that's ok its nice to get out with friends and just enjoy and have fun. If they need a hand we can help them out.

I consider myself different to most low handicap players in that I like playing with beginners or higher handicapped players. I find them to be more fun in general as they just don't take the game so seriously and get hung up on bad shots. The game is meant to be fun after all, if you can't have a good chat and laugh then I don't wanna play with you, lol.
I like helping new players too as I remember what it was like learning to play the game and wished more experienced players had offered help. One thing I make sure if is to let players know when they ask for help I'm more than willing to help but only after the round at the range.

Love it. Never bothers me at all.
You get to see all the emotions. The thrills, the anger, the disappointment and with proper encouragement, the fun times.
Its why THP Events will ALWAYS be for all skill levels.

I agree. I just try to ad some encouragement and keep my mouth closed otherwise. I simply tell them there is not a shot they can hit that I have not hit myself.

I got paired once with a couple that weren't really golfers but got a free round at the course because they were having the wedding there. They told me they weren't very good, which they weren't. They didn't have the great golf etiquette but they weren't doing anything that I had a problem with and they were picking up their balls on most holes.

At no point did we fall behind the group in front of us but twice the ranger stopped and asked me about them. Not sure if the group behind us wanted the ranger to watch them or he decided to on his own. But it seemed like because they weren't good at golf = they are a problem in someone's mind.

I am glad that I played my first few years as a kid on laid back par 3 courses. I can see how trying to start playing golf as an adult on busy courses can be intimidating, which is very unfortunate.

I would rather play with someone who knows how to play the game personally. If I do get paired up with a beginner, I would work through the round, but if it gets too slow I just quit and leave. But I don't really ever play with people I don't know or we don't have 2-3 people in the group, so it rarely if ever happens.

I don't mind a bit, we were all beginners at some point. It's unfortunate that you came across a couple of snobs. They're out there but like 95% of the strangers I've played with have been great people or at least decent. Nobody will ruin my day, if a jerk ever gives me grief I come right back at him. Personally flaw, I guess.

The game belongs to everyone, enjoy it.

Back