Need advice for new clubs

Hexad Tom

Reaction score
I am 65 and play with a slow swing due to a bad back. I need a whole new set of clubs that fits my current game. I don't hit drivers well (with the possible exception of the Mini-driver) so I would like a 2 wood or 3+ wood at 12 or 13 degrees to tee off with (with a deep face if possible) to go with a 15 degree 3 wood and an 18 degree 5 wood. I would like to pair this with a mixed set of hybrids and irons. Having a slow swing, I would like all graphite shafts with senior flex. All these in the "game improvement" category as well. I would like to keep the cost in the $500 to $750 range if possible.
Is there a complete set to fit these specs, or do I need to get a set of hybrids/irons and individual woods?

I am 65 and play with a slow swing due to a bad back. I need a whole new set of clubs that fits my current game. I don't hit drivers well (with the possible exception of the Mini-driver) so I would like a 2 wood or 3+ wood at 12 or 13 degrees to tee off with (with a deep face if possible) to go with a 15 degree 3 wood and an 18 degree 5 wood. I would like to pair this with a mixed set of hybrids and irons. Having a slow swing, I would like all graphite shafts with senior flex. All these in the "game improvement" category as well. I would like to keep the cost in the $500 to $750 range if possible.
Is there a complete set to fit these specs, or do I need to get a set of hybrids/irons and individual woods?
With the price range you are looking in, I would recommend going for a fitting. Most places will either give you a discount or include the fitting for free with purchase of the clubs. It will give you a good feel for what options are out there that will optimize your game. I know that's not exactly the answer you were hoping for but I am living proof of how important a real fitting is.

Adams has plenty of sets with the long irons being hybrid type build and the remainder of the clubs having thicker backs for forgivness and to add distance for a slower swing. I suggest taking a look at them. All game improvements aswell. Most of the men ive played with in that age group have loved them and noted adams and clubs of that build have allowed them to enjoy the game again! Good luck in your search!

Cleveland 588 Altitudes will fit in your price range and have thy hybird style irons that will help get the ball in the air. They will fall well within your price range and maybe even come in lower.

Your best value would to be to look at last years models of SGI irons. It sounds like you need some help getting the ball in the air so there are a few sets you can take a look at. Some of them will have packages that include hybrids in the long irons.

Adam's (these guys live to get the ball up easier)
Cleveland Altitudes
Ping (G20 or G25 series)
TaylorMade Rocketbladez

But as suggested earlier by DevRickus, you will want to get to a fitter. Find a non-big box store shop that will do the fitting and make sure you get a good deal. Be sure to tell them that you have a price limit and aren't against 1-3 years old models.

P.s. The only reason I advise staying away from big stores is because they are very hit or miss with fittings. Sometimes you get a great rep and sometimes you get someone that just wants to make the sale and is content with just selling you off the shelf stock clubs.

A few years ago Cleveland came out with a line called Cleveland Black.
It was a full line from drivers to wedges and was geared towards exactly what you are looking for.
The entire set being a few years old could be had for a song and you might be a perfect fit for them.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Keep them coming.

I don't think the irons/hybrids will be a problem, but I see many sets out there with a driver and then a 17 degree 3 wood with nothing between.
I play a version of the Natural Golf swing which gets the ball up well, so that is not a problem (unless I top it); therefore I need a club in the 14/15 degree range in addition to a driving club.

As far as fairway woods go, the Tour Edge Exotics line is great with light weight shafts and lots of loft options. My father in law had the XCG5 a few years ago, then went to the tight lies from Adams, now is back with the XCG6. He says the feel is better for him and they are much longer for him. He is a slower swing guy too so any distance he can get is appreciated. I definitely think Adams puts out some of the best hybrids on the market as well as some great sets like the V4 and some others that have hybrid long irons and then more traditional short irons.

I have decided to get the complete set of Adams Idea clubs from the Graves Golf Academy which will be custom fit for the single plane swing swing that I am using. This will include: titanium driver, 3 & 5 fairway woods, 4 & 5 hybrids, 6 & 7 hollow irons (or hybirons), 8, 9. PW & SW cavity backs; all with senior flex Basarra graphite shafts, and a Yes! Penny putter plus an Adams cart bag. I have already purchased an Adams Speedline Super S 13.5* 3+ fairway driver to bridge the big gap between the 11.5* driver and the 17* 3 wood. I test hit the driver for the set, which happened to have a senior flex shaft in it, at Edwin Watts and I hit it fairly well, so I may be able to learn to hit it with some level of consistency (which would really help my distance off the tee).

Good luck with the new sticks Tom.

Back