Slow Play in your group or a group in front of you?

Definitely in front of me bothers me more.

At least if the slow play is in my group, we should be able to do something about it.

Nothing irritates me more than coming off a well played hole, and then a 15 minute wait on the next tee box (I always screw up that next drive).

The slow group in front is more frustrating to me. As has been stated, if it's happening in my group, it's somewhat controllable to move along.

What if you are playing a public course and don't know the other 2 or 3 people in your group?

Both irritate me. I know when I play with a certain friend of mine, we will be letting people through more often than not. Nothing bothers me more than when a group is playing slow and they don't let faster people go through. Well, as long as there isn't a group in front of the slow players that isn't going anywhere either.

80% of the problems with slow play are start times too close together. Its funny but the muni I play most regularly starts based on where the group in front is. When the group in front is on the green, then its your turn to start. That gives enough time that you can get moving and it tends to keep moving unless there is a group in front of you playing from the trees all day.

As for the OP's question, in my group it bothers me more. I will say something to the guy or guys and tell them to get moving or they will be left behind.

Excellent point about staggering starting times.

In addition 98% of all internet stats are made up on the spot. :act-up:

As much as I hate not keeping pace as I feel rushed and never end up having fun, I think waiting for the group in front suck just that extra bit more for me.

My group,
I get playing EVEN FASTER than I normally play just trying to make up for the slow player(s)

My group,
I get playing EVEN FASTER than I normally play just trying to make up for the slow player(s)

I'm exactly like this.

It bugs me to no end when the slow player is in my group. I start really rushing things just to allow the slow player(s) more time, although that probably isn't beneficial to their speed in the future.

At least when groups in front are slow, I can really relax and goof around more with my playing partners.

Group in front for sure. You spend half your time waiting to play golf.

Nothing worse than sitting and waiting for 10 minutes for the group to finish up, then playing the hole, then getting to the next tee and waiting for 10 minutes again for them to finish up. Over and over.

At least if your group is slow, you are walking and hitting shots every few minutes.

I will say in front because its happening as we speak. I am a single in a cart and these two walkers won't let me pass.

I will say in front because its happening as we speak. I am a single in a cart and these two walkers won't let me pass.
They literally just screwed around on the tee box until I putted then hit. I layed back so they could have been on the green by now. I may call the clubhouse.

Even though golf is a game of you vs the course, it is still very much a social outing for most. It may be a slow day because of a tournament, senior group, "first timers" or a family with kids out for their first time on a golf course in front of your group. All of these factors can affect you pace of play as it has mine, but I take it in stride......I was once a beginner as well.

But what really irritates me the most is slow play at the 19th hole! There is nothing worse than getting stuck behind a slow group at the bar who can't decide what they want to drink or who is paying for the fist round!!

In front of me bugs me more because I will push the slow one in my group whereas I can't do much about the group in front.

Definitely can't stand slow in front of me, drives me nuts. At least in my group we can tell them to speed it up a bit

Both are terrible.

If I had to choose I would say within my group as I don't want to be "that group" holding up everyone else. I also like the fact that if they are with me I can help to control the pace and tell them we need to get a move on.

I agree. Doubt though we will ever find anyone that is part of "that group"........

I agree. Doubt though we will ever find anyone that is part of "that group"........

We agree on so MANY things.....we really need to meet one of these days!

Interesting question. I'd probably rather it be in my group though with people I know - I can at least give them some ribbing and light a fire. I've been there with people I don't know and it is extremely frustrating when you know you are holding the course up, well you aren't holding the course up, you just happen to be playing with people who are!!

Being the slow group kills me. I like to play a good pace and ready golf and when someone in my group is the cause I find I rush and get frustrated with everything they are doing even if it's chewing gum.

Group in front for sure. You spend half your time waiting to play golf.
Nothing worse than sitting and waiting for 10 minutes for the group to finish up, then playing the hole, then getting to the next tee and waiting for 10 minutes again for them to finish up. Over and over.

Is this an exaggeration or real? Unless you truly are playing at courses that play 5n1/6 to 6 hrs too many people exaggerate the whole thing. Perhaps you really are in those shoes (I do not know). But I would ask to take a true look at it. Are you really spending half the time waiting vs playing? waiting 10 minutes every time repeatedly on every hole? That would be 3 hrs worth of waiting on the tees not to mention a similar time waiting on approach shots and even without counting approach shots you still have to add in your golf time. So basically your playing like at least 7 hr rounds not including the 3 hrs waiting on approach shots.

Not trying to pick on you but sounds ridiculous doesn't it? The reason I ask is that too many far too often way over exaggerate the issue. Truth is that when patience runs thin, 2 minutes can seem like 10. And waiting on 4 holes can seem like you waited on every one. I've seen far too many people cry pace and yet in the end and on a weekend they are in their car within 4 and 1/2 hrs. people just get much too aggravated as soon as waiting pops up even if its very minor. And when it does actuallyy take 5 hrs (which is bad imo) they make it seem like it was 8. But how many of your rounds are even at 5 hrs? All the time, very few? even if they are, they are not the 7 we tend to make them out to be.

Being the slow group kills me. I like to play a good pace and ready golf and when someone in my group is the cause I find I rush and get frustrated with everything they are doing even if it's chewing gum.

I tend to do the same thing, I tend to rush for others but only to hurt my own game. I just hate if my group is the cause of slow. But we also have to remember what is slow. The pace you like to play at may not be what is correct. Many people confuse pace issues with what they believe it should be vs what is acceptable. I'm not saying your doing this but in general this is another misguided thought that very many times creates much more of a pace issue than what it really is. Like I said above, most people hate waiting even a little bit and that leads to more of the issue than the pace itself. It builds up the problem for exaggeration more than it really is.

None of this means there are not pace issues. Its just that too many times we tend to make mountains out of mole hills. And the whole thing gets blown up at times when its may not and really isnt always justifiable. Whether its one not being happy because things are not at ones desired pace or whether its one who over exaggerates the whole thing. Both of which make it all worse than it may actually be. These things imo happens too much too. At my local munis I frequent I see these things happen more than actual pace issues. They create an unnecessary negative environment about pace that is too often not justified. And it snowballs because everyone just starts complaining about pace even when there isn't truly any big issue. Hppens more often vs when there is a real pace issue.

I hate being the slow play group and makes me extremely anxious. I was playing with two guys and one brought his 4 year old son and let his son tee it up at every hole along with putt at every green. It was so darn cute and I bit my lip because it was great dad/son bonding, but I felt so anxious the whole time since it was clearly backing up the course. I wanted to put on a sign that said "I'm only a single that was paired with them. It's not my fault."

I also played with a guy in his 80's that insisted on playing honors and take no gimmies. It was the most painful, frustrating round of my life because he would not pick up the pace and I was embarrassed being in the group. But one couldn't say anything because he had a designated "disabled" cart and it just feels wrong to tell him to speed it up.

In front of me far and away. More times than not, I can get someone to speed up if they're in my group. The subtle things!

Based on recent events where it took 3+ hours to walk 9 holes (that's right 9 holes) and then a 5 hour round last weekend in NMB I'd have to say whoever infront of me causing the backup is the one that bothers me the most. It's not always the group in front of you, it is sometimes the group(s) infront of them. I don't play nearly as well when it's taking forever. I get impatient and just want to hit my next shot and everything just gets all out of whack. Last night I walked mine with a good friend up here in just over an hour and 15 minutes. Huge difference. I like to play in a rhythm. I sometimes get too fast and don't take the time to line up my shot properly. That's something I'm working on.

In front of me far and away. More times than not, I can get someone to speed up if they're in my group. The subtle things!
My subtleness works too when I say "hey speed it up jackwad! The group behind us is waiting."

In front of me.

I would say the group in front. I can work with those in my group more, but having someone ahead slowing things down is downright frustrating.

In front of me no doubt.
If it happens in my group, I can at least play ready golf and try to promote faster play.

Back