Recap Thread - 2014 Morgan Cup

Jimmy,

I think my favorite photo is from Staff Sponsor Day. Amanda captured a picture where you are looking at the camera but those around you are doing their own thing. (I can't seem to figure out how to attach it!)

This one bud?

I hope this slide show works from my photo bucket. There is still about another 140 pictures I need to add to it. I encourage everyone to go through it and post their favorites from the album. After seeing all the great pictures my fiance took of me and my playing partners, (Adam and Jeramiah and Freddie the ones that haven't been uploaded yet are the ones from our rounds together I will be sure to get those in soon) I wish I had her just travel around to everyone and get pictures of the entire event of everyone playing.

http://s1164.photobucket.com/user/Six4three5/slideshow/TOSHIBA-PC/SC 2014 Morgan Cup

If I had to choose my favorite I think it would be this one, because I believe this picture sums up how much fun everyone had during the weekend.

Also absolutely love this one of my boy Marc!

The pics are incredible Jimmy! Please thank your lovely fiancé !

I had some family things come up last night and today, which culminated in my taking a 4 hour nap this afternoon. An emotional day after an emotional weekend and I was spent. I spent an equal amount of time just now getting caught back up in this thread. Event recap threads are always my favorite and this one has been no different. I can't wait to sit down to write mine out (if I ever figure out how to start it).

LOL. He comes over after almost starting a major incident, then berates us, then steals our beer, then eats our snacks, steals more beer, lumbers around like a drunk gorilla, says he's going to leave, steals more beer and snacks, again berates us, refers to his importance as indicated by Petey his chauffeur a dozen times or so, and then is off never to be seen again. Well, not until 4:30am the next morning.
I wish you guys could've seen him eating pizza afterwards. It was.....deliberate. #chromosome74

You want to know what #TroutCool is? It's using phrases like these:
Dudes I was zinging lol I'm not sure what was in that coffee but it kicked my ADHD in to overdrive and I was having flashbacks from another period in life lol.

I have been reading all these recaps and thinking about how I can possibly do one and make it without getting all emotional and $hit

Caroline and I were sitting in the bar of a cheesy restaurant watching the Browns game and all of a sudden my phone started going crazy like a vibrator with fresh batteries lol

Then came the Captain questions, I was like what is this all about? I've been interrogated before and I can tell you the only thing missing was the light, the Billy club, and the phone book lol.

Dan: you still believed in me after blowing out a 90 something lol, that was horrendous and I was freezing lol.

Brad: Bro you were my pillar at times and I'll never forget your ability to be calm when all of us were in the midst of ugly rounds, swings, and life as just kicking our asses.

Jimmy: our talks will always be a positive memory and our matches together will forever be etched on my hard drive of life...congrats for snagging one of the best gals in the universe, you guys are like peanut butter and jelly!

My journey started back in November when I won a spot on Team Callaway. Shortly after the thread opened I received a call from Canadan. He was so excited for me and I told him I wanted to be on Team Albatross. Dan was the first person I was grouped with at a THP event and we had talked about the MC a lot leading up to his captain selection and the contests. Over the winter Dan and I would get together every couple weeks and chat about all things golf, THP and the MC. The day I got the PM welcoming me to Team Albatross was overwhelming. PM's and texts started to arrive and my morning was completely shot! I was ready to start working and goals were set between Dan and myself. Getting to my my team mates was exciting. Each guy brought something different to the team and it was great to be able to support these guys over the past 6 months.

I guess you could say I was lucky to be able to prepare with Dan. Sure, Canadan Jr has a nice ring to it but I don't think it really set in until my first THP event earlier this year. Long range sessions, multiple rounds per week, lessons and chipping/putting games has taken my game to a whole new level. Dan is always quick to remind me how far I've come when I get down on myself. He also has been my biggest fan through this journey. When he told me we would be playing together on Saturday I was shocked. He told me if I could get to a 10 handicap or less we would be a force to be reckoned with. I wasn't sure my game was there but with each round leading up to the event I started to believe in myself. The Morgan Cup has motivated me to achieve my previous lifetime golf goals - 10 handicap and break 80 (which I've done twice in the past month). It's been said before and I'll say it again, the Morgan Cup takes the game of golf to a whole new level and I'm excited to see where I'll be this time next year.

Unfortunately my wife was unable to make the journey down to Myrtle with me. Luckily enough Dan and I were able to travel together. Arriving on Wednesday allowed me to play a practice round at True Blue and Caledonia (on Thursday). I think seeing each course prior to the competition was vital to my success on the weekend. Also the practice rounds were so much fun! Thanks to MMaynard for switching tee times with me on Wednesday! I got the pleasure to ride with WCBM for 18 holes at True Blue. Some of my favorite memories from last week involve WCBM and his sense of humor. I challenge you to find a nicer guy! Playing along with Canadan, Howzat and WCBM I was able to get tons of info about the course and what to expect on Saturday/Sunday. Thanks again guys for the awesome round. Thursday was spent at Caledonia with Brad, Kang and Coers. I really enjoyed riding with SantaKang. This dude can hit the cover off the ball and I really enjoy watching him swing the club. That slow takeaway and fast transition if so fluid and smooth. Brad was vital in providing course info and wisdom from his MC experience. Coers optimism was contagious! I played really well Thursday and posted a 77 which provided a ton of confidence going into the weekend.

My thoughts are all over the place right now, lol! More to come

Jimmy, your fiancée took some awesome photos. I edited one, might need to be printed and framed in my house somewhere - she caught me right before I hit my first tee ball of the tournament.

DSC_1457.jpg

Well here goes nothing! If you choose to watch enjoy! Still things after watching it that I'm leaving out I will try to capture those moments daily.

Jimmy, your fiancée took some awesome photos. I edited one, might need to be printed and framed in my house somewhere - she caught me right before I hit my first tee ball of the tournament.

DSC_1457.jpg

Nate that editing is INCREDIBLE! That looks like a freaking painting!!

Jimmy Bout to watch your Video.... And Dang you Donne! I am not buying another box of tissues.

My journey started back in November when I won a spot on Team Callaway. Shortly after the thread opened I received a call from Canadan. He was so excited for me and I told him I wanted to be on Team Albatross. Dan was the first person I was grouped with at a THP event and we had talked about the MC a lot leading up to his captain selection and the contests. Over the winter Dan and I would get together every couple weeks and chat about all things golf, THP and the MC. The day I got the PM welcoming me to Team Albatross was overwhelming. PM's and texts started to arrive and my morning was completely shot! I was ready to start working and goals were set between Dan and myself. Getting to my my team mates was exciting. Each guy brought something different to the team and it was great to be able to support these guys over the past 6 months.

I guess you could say I was lucky to be able to prepare with Dan. Sure, Canadan Jr has a nice ring to it but I don't think it really set in until my first THP event earlier this year. Long range sessions, multiple rounds per week, lessons and chipping/putting games has taken my game to a whole new level. Dan is always quick to remind me how far I've come when I get down on myself. He also has been my biggest fan through this journey. When he told me we would be playing together on Saturday I was shocked. He told me if I could get to a 10 handicap or less we would be a force to be reckoned with. I wasn't sure my game was there but with each round leading up to the event I started to believe in myself. The Morgan Cup has motivated me to achieve my previous lifetime golf goals - 10 handicap and break 80 (which I've done twice in the past month). It's been said before and I'll say it again, the Morgan Cup takes the game of golf to a whole new level and I'm excited to see where I'll be this time next year.

Unfortunately my wife was unable to make the journey down to Myrtle with me. Luckily enough Dan and I were able to travel together. Arriving on Wednesday allowed me to play a practice round at True Blue and Caledonia (on Thursday). I think seeing each course prior to the competition was vital to my success on the weekend. Also the practice rounds were so much fun! Thanks to MMaynard for switching tee times with me on Wednesday! I got the pleasure to ride with WCBM for 18 holes at True Blue. Some of my favorite memories from last week involve WCBM and his sense of humor. I challenge you to find a nicer guy! Playing along with Canadan, Howzat and WCBM I was able to get tons of info about the course and what to expect on Saturday/Sunday. Thanks again guys for the awesome round. Thursday was spent at Caledonia with Brad, Kang and Coers. I really enjoyed riding with SantaKang. This dude can hit the cover off the ball and I really enjoy watching him swing the club. That slow takeaway and fast transition if so fluid and smooth. Brad was vital in providing course info and wisdom from his MC experience. Coers optimism was contagious! I played really well Thursday and posted a 77 which provided a ton of confidence going into the weekend.

My thoughts are all over the place right now, lol! More to come

You definitely were a force to be reckoned with. You hit some great shots this weekend.

Jimmy, I really enjoyed that video. I can't wait to see you again buddy.

Well here goes nothing! If you choose to watch enjoy! Still things after watching it that I'm leaving out I will try to capture those moments daily.

If it's dusty there the it's dusty here! Jimmy you are truly a stand up guy! I am glad to have experienced this with you!

If it's dusty there the it's dusty here! Jimmy you are truly a stand up guy! I am glad to have experienced this with you!

Thanks buddy!! The feeling is completely mutual! We didn't get to spend a whole lot of time together but the times we talked I enjoyed it!!

Jimmy, I really enjoyed that video. I can't wait to see you again buddy.

Me as well James. The feeling is totally mutual buddy. I simply cannot wait to play with any THPer again! It really is like nothing else.

My wrist brace STINKS from the sweat, but I can't bear to wash it. It smells like the Morgan Cup.

Thanks buddy!! The feeling is completely mutual! We didn't get to spend a whole lot of time together but the times we talked I enjoyed it!!

You better believe it. Even if you scared the crap out of my daughter. She saw your Sunday outfit and came running up to you thinking it was me.

You better believe it. Even if you scared the crap out of my daughter. She saw your Sunday outfit and came running up to you thinking it was me.

Lol! I thought it was amanda I looked down and just burst out laughing and your wife grabbed her! She's adorable man!

Matches:

Round 1 - Canand/AMart vs Johnny Mojo/TNT

My first MC match...I'll never forget the first tee. Thankfully Dan lead us off and at the time I didn't understand why he went first (our strategy was for me to put a drive in play and then let him swing away). That was until I put the tee in the ground and got really nervous! I managed to thin a drive into the fairway and thanked Dan was we drove up for taking a bit of the pressure off. After a lay up I was left with around 90 yards into the green. I proceeded to hit into the waste bunker! I was immediately concerned until I chunked my first sand shot! I managed to get out with the second swing and two putt for a 7! As we drove to the second tee Dan said "Dude, it's Saturday at Oasis. No big deal." Those words stuck with me through the rest of my matches. I proceeded to make 8 straight pars to help us win the match. I can't thank Johnny and Trevor enough for a great round. We celebrated and cheered for each other the whole way.

Round 2 - Canadan/Amart vs Fup/Mpeterson

I'd like to start off by saying lunch at Caledonia is wonderful...but best reserved from post match! I started out ice cold after roughly a 3 hour break. My first shot was a nuked lob wedge over the green OB! Following a drive the wound up in the hazard Dan and I found ourselves down 2. I was beside myself in the cart searching for something to settle me down. I kept coming back to "Saturday at Oasis." We clawed our way back into the match and squeaked out front 9 win. On the back 9 we found ourselves waiting a bit more between shots on some of the holes. This provided us a ton of time to chat and get to know our "opponents". I really enjoyed the time we shared laughing at the crazy squirrels and the watching the gator float through the hazard. As the match went on Dan and I found ourselves up with 2 holes to play. The par 3 17th was good to me in the practice round as I made a birdie. Dan hit his tee shot just left of the pin in the rough. Fup stuck an approach just passed the pin. As we drove up to the green MikeG came over with his camera and started to give an update. As I looked at the shot and took some practice swings I found myself thinking back to the practice green at Oasis. I'd hit a million chips this year and just wanted to stick this close. To everyone's surprise my shot rolled into the cup for a birdie! The emotions poured over me as Dan grabbed me in celebration. I managed to keep it together for Mike's interview (which was very difficult for me). I'll never forget that match and saved the golf ball. As I reflect on the match I can't help but think about the roller coaster of emotions I experienced. I gotta thank Dan for telling me what I needed to hear when I needed to hear it. I think it speaks to our preparation and chemistry as teammates.

Round 3 - AMart vs 441

I was nervous Friday night. The match pairings didn't make it any better! I was excited to share a round with Mike as he and I had played an enjoyable round last summer. I knew win, loose or draw we would have great time. Also, being able to play with Donnie and Doug was awesome. Donnie is such a genuinely nice guy and I really enjoyed watching him play some great golf. Doug hits the ball ffffaaaarrrrr. On the first tee my emotions almost got the best of me. I put the tee in the ground, took a step back for a couple practice swings and as I stood over the ball I found myself saying "just hit the ball!" I couldn't have asked for a better final round grouping. Everyone played great golf and I'd be thrilled to spend another round with these guys anytime! I got the best of Mike on that day but look forward to playing him again.

Finally got caught up with the earlier recaps that were posted today. Reading through these keeps the journey going. Thanks for allowing me to relive your matches, thoughts, and memories!

Matches:

My first MC match...I'll never forget the first tee. Thankfully Dan lead us off and at the time I didn't understand why he went first (our strategy was for me to put a drive in play and then let him swing away). That was until I put the tee in the ground and got really nervous! I managed to thin a drive into the fairway and thanked Dan was we drove up for taking a bit of the pressure off. After a lay up I was left with around 90 yards into the green. I proceeded to hit into the waste bunker! I was immediately concerned until I chunked my first sand shot! I managed to get out with the second swing and two putt for a 7! As we drove to the second tee Dan said "Dude, it's Saturday at Oasis. No big deal." Those words stuck with me through the rest of my matches. I proceeded to make 8 straight pars to help us win the match. I can't thank Johnny and Trevor enough for a great round. We celebrated and cheered for each other the whole way.

I'd like to start off by saying lunch at Caledonia is wonderful...but best reserved from post match! I started out ice cold after roughly a 3 hour break. My first shot was a nuked lob wedge over the green OB! Following a drive the wound up in the hazard Dan and I found ourselves down 2. I was beside myself in the cart searching for something to settle me down. I kept coming back to "Saturday at Oasis." We clawed our way back into the match and squeaked out front 9 win. On the back 9 we found ourselves waiting a bit more between shots on some of the holes. This provided us a ton of time to chat and get to know our "opponents". I really enjoyed the time we shared laughing at the crazy squirrels and the watching the gator float through the hazard. As the match went on Dan and I found ourselves up with 2 holes to play. The par 3 17th was good to me in the practice round as I made a birdie. Dan hit his tee shot just left of the pin in the rough. Fup stuck an approach just passed the pin. As we drove up to the green MikeG came over with his camera and started to give an update. As I looked at the shot and took some practice swings I found myself thinking back to the practice green at Oasis. I'd hit a million chips this year and just wanted to stick this close. To everyone's surprise my shot rolled into the cup for a birdie! The emotions poured over me as Dan grabbed me in celebration. I managed to keep it together for Mike's interview (which was very difficult for me). I'll never forget that match and saved the golf ball. As I reflect on the match I can't help but think about the roller coaster of emotions I experienced. I gotta thank Dan for telling me what I needed to hear when I needed to hear it. I think it speaks to our preparation and chemistry as teammates.

Round 3 - AMart vs 441

I was nervous Friday night. The match pairings didn't make it any better! I was excited to share a round with Mike as he and I had played an enjoyable round last summer. I knew win, loose or draw we would have great time. Also, being able to play with Donnie and Doug was awesome. Donnie is such a genuinely nice guy and I really enjoyed watching him play some great golf. Doug hits the ball ffffaaaarrrrr. On the first tee my emotions almost got the best of me. I put the tee in the ground, took a step back for a couple practice swings and as I stood over the ball I found myself saying "just hit the ball!" I couldn't have asked for a better final round grouping. Everyone played great golf and I'd be thrilled to spend another round with these guys anytime! I got the best of Mike on that day but look forward to playing him again.

If I was going to lose, I wanted to lose to a great golf shot and you killed it dude. I wasn't mad at all, I was proud of you and that shot. You've got a great game dude, dont let the little things get you down.

You can look at that flag all you want, but this is just the beginning for us, my friend. Scratch or bust.

Matches:

Round 3 - AMart vs 441

hahaha what can you possibly say to an alt-shot partner who lost two balls on two straight holes? Nothing. You hit it into the bunker and tell him to figure his $%^& out hahahahaha!!!

So proud of how we collected ourselves Saturday afternoon. Well done my dude.

You rock bro, a truly truly exceptional guy!! Thanks for giving me a minute to gather myself after my beating lol, it was a though one.

Dudes I was zinging lol I'm not sure what was in that coffee but it kicked my ADHD in to overdrive and I was having flashbacks from another period in life lol. Man I was glad when I finally came down.

I have been reading all these recaps and thinking about how I can possibly do one and make it without getting all emotional and $hit but I can't yet. I keep going back from the day I was picked, Caroline and I were sitting in the bar of a cheesy restaurant watching the Browns game and all of a sudden my phone started going crazy like a vibrator with fresh batteries lol, I, being the dummie I am was like, I wonder what the heck is going on?? Then my wife said you got in!!! You got in!!! I stood up in the bar and yelled holy ****! and hightailed it home to check for real and sure enough I was a proud member of team Cobra/Puma, I'll remember that day like it was yesterday for the rest of my life, I still smile and get all girlie like lol.

Then came the Captain questions, I was like what is this all about? I've been interrogated before and I can tell you the only thing missing was the light, the Billy club, and the phone book lol. I got the Nod for Albatross and a call from Captain Dan and was pumped! I had never met he or Brad before, hell I didn't know anyone on my team but we all shared common bonds, we were all Albatross, we all wanted the cup, and we knew this would change our lives, we had no idea exactly the magnitude of how it would change our lives and our golf games, it was real!!

We had some dynamic ups and downs during the months that followed but one thing was always in common, our passion for the Cup and the will to get better to bring it home.

Dan: I can't thank you enough for your guidance, unconditional support, wonderful demeanor, your ability to forgive, and you unconditional friendship. My game never seemed to show up when we played together but in spite of, you still believed in me after blowing out a 90 something lol, that was horrendous and I was freezing lol. I love you like a family member dude and I'll always be grateful for you belief that I could make a difference on team Albatross.

Brad: My shiznit lol!! True story, the first time I spoke with Brad on the phone I was on a tyrade about something regarding a mid capper and I was being emphatic about how I was better than that and he says, "I'm a mid capper" lol, I crapped the bed on that one but he didn't hold it against me. Bro you were my pillar at times and I'll never forget your ability to be calm when all of us were in the midst of ugly rounds, swings, and life as just kicking our asses. You'll never know how much you are appreciated because I can't put it into words.

Kang: This guy is amazing as a person, a golfer, a friend, and from watching he and his wife interact, a husband. When I was selected to Cobra and SeeMore Kang sent me a pm asking for my address and he sent me a SeeMore lol, I tried to object but he became forceful and said he would kick everyones ass if I didn't give him my address, so being the girlie man that I am I caved (not really but that story sounded good lol) You have been amazing through this whole event, from being the team supporter when things were turbulent to just sharing how the journey was a struggle at times, you were a constant ray of light and that light provided much needed guidance and grounding for me dude. Much much respect and love bro!

Jimmy: It's dusty in here right now and I'm having a hard time with this one. Dude you are everything I always wanted to be growing up but never found. Your ability to be centered, was amazing to me, your drive was inspiring to me and you pushed me much more than you'll ever know, you made me want to be better. There is a spot in my heart for you dude that will always be filled with the memories of sharing this journey with you, our talks will always be a positive memory and our matches together will forever be etched on my hard drive of life. You are one of the most exceptional young men I've ever met and I'm a better man for knowing you. Congrats on all your achievements during your journey and congrats for snagging one of the best gals in the universe, you guys are like peanut butter and jelly! Love you Bro!

Jimmy's Dad: I'd love to tell you how awesome your son is but I'm sure you already know, he is a living testament to one of the finest jobs in parenting I've ever seen, during our conversations he said many times how much he loved your times on the course together and you could see him light up when he mentioned you. My hats off to you man, you did it right buddy.

Coers: I hadn't even met you yet and I was getting sick with a flu or something lol, I heard the rumors but I met the myth. Dude you rocked this thing like no other, you pushed yourself to the limit and exceeded every challenge thrown your way dude, you gamed your game and you rocked who you are, and I love you for it dude, you are badass and we'll be friends for a long long time bro.

Andy M: Dude!!! you are incredible!! when I was told you were working with Dan I knew good things were in the making but I had no idea just how good you'd be, you are an exceptional guy and it was a pleasure sharing this with you dude, I'd be your partner in a match any time and thank you for grounding me at times when I was bouncing, your quiet demeanor on our team page was inspiring and brought clarity. Thanks dude!

Andy V: The quiet giant!! you were the quiet one on the team but you walked with a big stick dude. I loved seeing you come out of your shell for this when you arrived in Myrtle, you laughed, smiled a lot and being around you one couldn't help but smile and want to talk to you. You were quiet about your game and your regimen but when it was needed you showed the world what you had been practicing and your shots were your exclamation point, it was a pleasure dude and I hope we tee it up again

Morgan: You effing rock !! everything you touch turns to gold and everyone that meets you is a better person because of it, you're as genuine as they come, Beautiful inside and out, and the pillar every man dreams of having, you are what I call Authentic!

JB: Dude I will never be able to express my gratitude (phukkin onions) to you for my entire time here. I never thought I would be in a Morgan Cup dude let alone in any of the other events I've been fortunate enough to get into. This was the single greatest time I've ever had in my golfing life and I always say you're either a dream maker or a dream breaker and you make dreams come true dude, for many many folks from across the globe. Who does that? Who sets out to start a business that helps people become better at their passion, better at being human, better at being taught, and turns it all into dreams of a lifetime? You do bro and I absolutely love you for it, selfless is a word that comes to mind but I don't think its good enough. I will never forget this last several months, the support, the demands to be better than we were as forumites, and the passion you had to make it bigger and better than it ever was. Dude you knocked it out of the park!

I'll post more later, I need some dry eyes or something.

Marc, thank you for the kind words about jimmy, i know i have done my job when people speak of him as a close friend the way you speak of him, can't wait to tee it up with you and all his new friends!

ps, if jimmy says your a cool dude, well your alright in my book....lol

The volunteers: Man you guys nailed it, from the Barry white overtones on Mike's voice to the comedy show that Kevin provided. Everyone of you was given a job and you absolutely embraced it as an opportunity to get out there and make us look much better than we are lol, I can't thank you enough for all your efforts and hard work. Trish your pictures are freakin awesome and I love the fact that you keep coming back to help the Cup, you rock!

Teams: Jerimiah and Adam, that was some serious fun in the morning match, to be honest when you hit the drive on our first hole I though I we might get our asses kicked and you guys fought like roman warriors! (minus the outfits of course) I loved every minute of our match guys except the winning part, it's always difficult to win against friends, especially when they are a swonderful as you two.

Mr. Dokken and Tim: I said it from the moment I heard we would be playing and I meant every word of it, you two are the nicest guys I've met here and I looked forward to our matches for the comradery more than anything, I knew we'd laugh and laugh we did and at the end I had a very hard time keeping my composure. You guys are true ambassadors of THP and the Morgan Cup and I love you guys a ton!

All the others: I am not leaving anyone's name out unpurpose it's just that I'm a little memory deprived. (fried to put it normally) Jman, Cookie, Hawk, Mmaynard, Deano, Ddec, Jake, TNT, Jmojo, scarnici, Spicoli, and the rest, thank you from the bottom of my heart for making my life a dream come true for a weekend, it was awesome to fnally meet some of you and it was incredible seeing some of you again. If I put in to words how each one of you effected me it would probably take up all the bandwidth left on the forum, so I'll just say a huge thank you for making an old dude smile. You too Fupresti and O'carrol, loved seeing you guys, you bring my recap to a close.

Thanks everyone for an incredible weekend and team Wardy, congrats on a hard earned win over what is arguably the best Morgan Cup field ever. Wardy and his wonderful wife were my villa mates and they were the bestest ever, quiet, clean, and just chilled lol, I miss our morning pre round chats, I learned a lot from your character as a captain and a friend dude. I can't wait to tee it up again! Maybe I'll get to leave my legacy lol, wink wink!!

Back