salisboss

RIP Jake 8/17/01-9/21/14
Reaction score
Handicap
Right now I play an Amp Cell but am getting itchy for a bit more performance. I tend to be a higher spin, higher launch player with my main miss is vertical on the face with some horizontal misses thrown in also. I am looking for suggestions. I love the i25 but I am looking something I can get for less money. I have been tracking the Bio Cell and Bio Cell+ although I am not entirely sure which would work better (probably the + despite my misses).

Bio Cell + is much closer to the I25 in performance than the regular Bio Cell. Both are spectacular clubs though and you can't really go wrong but the stock shafts in the Bio Cell + will help you kill spin more.

From what I have seen and talking with Jman who has spent time with both, the + is still very forgiving, more so than expected. I would try to get some numbers with both and see which one is a better fit. Don't just look at the best balls but what the numbers look like when you miss as well.

Higher Spin and Higher Launch would most likely steer you towards a bit lower spin. The idea here is to find lower spin without the sacrifice in forgiveness. There are tons of great lower spin heads, but many of them will be a bit more penal laterally. One that is a good mix is the Cleveland 588. It might fit the bill here. The Bio Cell is another that could fit the bill here. Lastly I would say the Big Bertha (non-Alpha) could fit in here.

The big bertha is a solid driver. I hit my father in law's really well. You could also look at the Adams Super LS. When I had tht it was plenty forgiving, and really low spin. Especially when paired with the Black Tie shaft like mine was. If they made that head in a 430-440cc model, I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Are you strictly looking for something new? Up/Down miss says OG Cleveland Classic to me.

Are you strictly looking for something new? Up/Down miss says OG Cleveland Classic to me.

Not neccessarily. Just more appropriate. There are tons of these on the used rack at my local golfsmith. May have to check out.

If you could find a 290 Classic with a Kusala Black I think you'd have something to consider.

If you could find a 290 Classic with a Kusala Black I think you'd have something to consider.

What is the difference with the numbers on the Classics like 290, 270 I think etc?

What is the difference with the numbers on the Classics like 290, 270 I think etc?

They are weights (in grams) of the different drivers in their stock configurations.

310 is slightly different than the 270 and 290. Smaller head, not as deep, heavier shaft.

From my understanding of the numbers if I remember correctly the 310 was 440cc more of a players head a little smaller and more workable and heavier 310g , 290 was 460cc and 290g and the 270 was the lightest of the bunch at 270g and also came in 2*closed face.

Not to jump the thread, but I had a Cleveland 290 fs/ft in the marketplace if you were interested in trying something relatively inexpensively. It has the miyazaki 43 S shaft in it.

Can't go wrong with either of the BioCell. The Cleveland 588 as well as the classic are really good options.

Picked up a 290 and Classic XL. If I can even tighten things up a bit these will be rocket launchers for me. They performed fairly similar and close in performance to the i25 for me. I got them used and 290 was only $26.

How about the Cobra Encore ZL? It was their premium driver prior to the Amp Cell. It has the same E9 face tech for forgiveness but for me was lower spin than the Amp Cell. They can be had new from $100-150.

When I went for my last fitting, I wanted to keep my Encore ZL head but I wasn't happy with the stock shaft. Anyway, the closest head the fitter had was the Amp Cell so I went through the fitting using it. At the end of it all, we both agreed the Aldila RIP Phenom 60 was one. After the install, I hit my Encore ZL on the LM and my spin numbers were significantly lower compared to the Amp Cell. Sorry I don't have the exact numbers on hand, but from what I remembered:

Amp Cell: Spin Rate approx 2800 - 3100 rpm's
Encore ZL: Spin Rate approx 2000 rpm's

How about the Cobra Encore ZL? It was their premium driver prior to the Amp Cell. It has the same E9 face tech for forgiveness but for me was lower spin than the Amp Cell. They can be had new from $100-150.

When I went for my last fitting, I wanted to keep my Encore ZL head but I wasn't happy with the stock shaft. Anyway, the closest head the fitter had was the Amp Cell so I went through the fitting using it. At the end of it all, we both agreed the Aldila RIP Phenom 60 was one. After the install, I hit my Encore ZL on the LM and my spin numbers were significantly lower compared to the Amp Cell. Sorry I don't have the exact numbers on hand, but from what I remembered:

Amp Cell: Spin Rate approx 2800 - 3100 rpm's
Encore ZL: Spin Rate approx 2000 rpm's
I will keep the encore in mind.

After buying an Amp Cell...I don't see myself going away from Cobra

Did you get a chance to try the optiforce?

After buying an Amp Cell...I don't see myself going away from Cobra
I love my Amp Cell but it is not low spin enough for me at this time.

Just my thoughts, but with the Ping G30 just come out, the G25s are bound to be going for a bit less second hand. I bought one a couple of months ago and it's just astonishing how good it is....

270 is really light. It's the lightest club in the PGA Tour. At least in 2013 a source claims. I love the classic look of it.

Back