For those of you that sell clubs on Ebay

Barberakb

USAF / Go Cowboys!
Reaction score
Handicap
Have you ever sent a club that was perfectly fine and the buyer claim it was broken when you got it?

What happened, what did you do?

Thanks.

Ask for photos of the box and the item. if it's legit broken, file a claim with the shipper and use those photos in the claim report. Things do happen from time to time and it kinda sucks.

No, I haven't. Tough one because my sense is that eBay favors the buyer.

Never had a buyer file a claim or complaint for anything I sold and shipped. Ebay does certainly protect the buyer in all situations I have seen. I have filed about 3 claims as a buyer over the years for various reasons and they sided with me each time and made sure the situation was remedied to my satisfaction.

Yea, they almost always side with the buyer.
Which is why I'm curious as what you can do because the club was perfectly good when I shipped it.

Insurance and signature confirmation.

I have insurance through USPS and he said he received the club but its broken.

Insurance and a couple quick photographs of the item packed in the box as well as the box sealed up.

Always get insurance on anything pretty much over $100... or whatever you feel wouldnt hurt the bank if you were to lose it. Ask for photo's of the box and clubs like noted before.

Side Note: a couple of my buddies over the summer(still in college), work for fedex in their shipping center. They say they see golf clubs all the time along with other valuables. Theyve also noted theyve seen some lazy ass employees toss, kick, generally man handle packages with the utmost disregard. Those who choose to operate this way obviously lose their job, but these things do happen and can happen to your clubs. Insurance and contacting all involved, ebay, shipper, buyer will all benefit you. Dont ever take their word for it immediately. A lot of shady activity between some Ebay users.

I'm a frequent Ebay shopper, in large part because of some great deals and because Ebay does give me guarantees and stands behind my purchases as a buyer. That doesn't mean there aren't shady buyers or that UPS, USPS or Fedx are always careful. If I were a seller I would insure my packages and add it to the shipping charge.

Yes i have....i sold a Nike Covert driver shaft, the tour version,and as with all my clubs i always UV mark them, anyway a couple of days later, ebay message from buyer, shaft is broken, and when i say say broken i mean in 2!!, so i said return shaft and when i recieve it i will refund you, as these things do and can happen, shaft returns in 2 bits....but no UV mark!!!...obviously the buyer had broken it and tried it on with me....he opened a case with ebay, i explained everything to ebay, and lo and behold the buyer closed the case.....i reported him and he was banned....simple thing a UV pen, just put your postcode on, guarantees its yours and also covers you in cases like this and theft as well...oh and i claimed the insurance from the courier...:clapp:....lol

I sold a putter once and the buyer said the shaft was bent when he got it. He first wanted me to refund him I think $50 to get it reshafted (this was a $100 putter). It sort of had "scam" written on it to me, so I did a full refund and he sent the putter back.

Hope you can work it out. I'd want to see some pictures of the box and the club.

I've had a driver shaft get delivered broken. When I received the box it looked like hell so before I even opened it I took a bunch of pictures of it. Low and behold it was broken in 2 and the wrench and head cover was missing. I got in touch with the seller and he told me go file a claim with UPS. UPS told me since I didn't pay them that the seller had to file the claim and get his money back. What the seller did was refund me and waited for UPS to pay him which was fairly quick.

Yes i have....i sold a Nike Covert driver shaft, the tour version,and as with all my clubs i always UV mark them, anyway a couple of days later, ebay message from buyer, shaft is broken, and when i say say broken i mean in 2!!, so i said return shaft and when i recieve it i will refund you, as these things do and can happen, shaft returns in 2 bits....but no UV mark!!!...obviously the buyer had broken it and tried it on with me....he opened a case with ebay, i explained everything to ebay, and lo and behold the buyer closed the case.....i reported him and he was banned....simple thing a UV pen, just put your postcode on, guarantees its yours and also covers you in cases like this and theft as well...oh and i claimed the insurance from the courier...:clapp:....lol

Soooooooooo you got someone banned from eBay for scamming you and then turn around and do the exact same thing to the shipper?

How is that cool?

As far as the OP goes I've fortunately never had to deal with anything like that.

How are you guys dealing with shipping increases? I tried to sell a club a couple weeks ago and thought ups and fedex and almost had a heart attack at the price now. USPS was half the cost of ground options.

When it rains it pours...

The only other thing I sold recently was a set of irons. Yesterday it said out for delivery, and today it said return to sender.
Ugggg, my luck right now is sucking and I'm still waiting to here where this package is.

How are you guys dealing with shipping increases? I tried to sell a club a couple weeks ago and thought ups and fedex and almost had a heart attack at the price now. USPS was half the cost of ground options.

I stopped using UPS years ago because of costs. When I oved a lot of spearguns, it used to cost anywhere from $25-$60 to ship a gun depending on size, where as the same gun moved through USPS never usually cost more than $20. And I won't lie, I had better luck with things arriving on time and in shape with USPS as well.

Anytime selling on ebay, keep pictures of the item and serial number. If the shipping company broke it, then file a claim. UPS is terrible when it comes to shipping anything with a graphite shaft. However, they are very good about claims.

Do you have pictures with dates on them? I always make sure to take new pictures right before I list so there's no confusion and both parties are sure the item being shipped is in the exact condition as stated

It depends. If the buyer claims that the club was broken when it arrived, you have to allow them to return it. However, if they admit that the club when fine when it arrive and then they took it to the range and it broke (even on the first swing), thats not your problem.
Ive had a few instances where I sold clubs on Ebay and the buyer claimed he took them to the range and the shaft broke. In that instance, not my problem.

Ask for photos of the box and the item. if it's legit broken, file a claim with the shipper and use those photos in the claim report. Things do happen from time to time and it kinda sucks.

I've been on the other side of this. In my instance, it was pretty obvious from the crease in the box and the break in the shaft that something heavy was dropped onto the box, or it was compressed or something that bent the box and snapped the shaft. The box crease and shaft break were in the exact same spots.

I helped the seller file a claim with UPS. UPS showed up, took the club and refunded the seller the money. The seller refunded me, and all I was really out was my time.

I stopped using UPS years ago because of costs. When I oved a lot of spearguns, it used to cost anywhere from $25-$60 to ship a gun depending on size, where as the same gun moved through USPS never usually cost more than $20. And I won't lie, I had better luck with things arriving on time and in shape with USPS as well.

I'd agree with this. USPS gets there quicker and is cheaper. How often does someone say that about a government run organization versus a private one?

The only downside about USPS is that there's really no recourse on a broken or lost item. You can insure it, but that's about it.

I'd agree with this. USPS gets there quicker and is cheaper. How often does someone say that about a government run organization versus a private one?

The only downside about USPS is that there's really no recourse on a broken or lost item. You can insure it, but that's about it.

Have you ever had to use the USPS insurance? Did they honor it?

Back