Cobra Baffler XL Irons - THP Preview

I really need to hit these sometime. Didn't light the bafflers, so kind of just brushed these aside when I saw these.

I need a heavier shaft in my set. Thought it might be easier to sell these and buy with my shaft choice but not so much. I have never had luck with buying shafts and having them installed as the cost gets out of hand. Does anyone wish they bought graphite regular instead of steel? Also prefer a 5 and 6 iron rather than hybrid. Would consider a swap there too. Other than that these are awesome.

I need a heavier shaft in my set. Thought it might be easier to sell these and buy with my shaft choice but not so much. I have never had luck with buying shafts and having them installed as the cost gets out of hand. Does anyone wish they bought graphite regular instead of steel? Also prefer a 5 and 6 iron rather than hybrid. Would consider a swap there too. Other than that these are awesome.

That's kind of funny because I initially got the hybrids+7-SW combo in graphite, then I ended up buying the 5 and 6 irons separately, which must be some of the easiest to hit mid/long irons I have tried.
I tried the steel versions in store, and the True Temper 125 g shafts (D3 swing weight) didn't really wow me the way pricier shafts did on other clubs. For some reason the stock Cobra graphite shafts worked well for me, except the swing weight is too light at D1, which tended to quicken my tempo too much when I'm under pressure on course. I placed 4" strip of 1/2" lead tape around the hosel for 5-PW to turn D1 to D2 swing weight, which worked wonders for my tempo.

My Adams LS hybrids are already D2 swing weight and fit my swing better, so I am using those instead of Cobra XL hybrids (3-6) which are also D1. I may tape those and see what happens later or sell them.

Bingo. The problems is the hybrids will really get you in trouble with a bad swing where the irons just end up short. I may trade 4,5,6 hybrid for irons

Where did you buy the single irons? I would be willing to trade the 4,5,6 hybrid for irons or buy them as singles.

Where did you buy the single irons? I would be willing to trade the 4,5,6 hybrid for irons or buy them as singles.

I bought the 7i off eBay.

Thanks Cookie. No luck there. Hate to pay 75 per club when complete sets are going for around 300 bucks which is a great deal.

Thanks Cookie. No luck there. Hate to pay 75 per club when complete sets are going for around 300 bucks which is a great deal.

I agree and understand completely!

That's kind of funny because I initially got the hybrids+7-SW combo in graphite, then I ended up buying the 5 and 6 irons separately, which must be some of the easiest to hit mid/long irons I have tried.
I tried the steel versions in store, and the True Temper 125 g shafts (D3 swing weight) didn't really wow me the way pricier shafts did on other clubs. For some reason the stock Cobra graphite shafts worked well for me, except the swing weight is too light at D1, which tended to quicken my tempo too much when I'm under pressure on course. I placed 4" strip of 1/2" lead tape around the hosel for 5-PW to turn D1 to D2 swing weight, which worked wonders for my tempo.

My Adams LS hybrids are already D2 swing weight and fit my swing better, so I am using those instead of Cobra XL hybrids (3-6) which are also D1. I may tape those and see what happens later or sell them.

I am pretty surprised the steel is 125 gr. an hence that is a typo? Seems like a heavy shaft for a SGI iron. Anyone that has steel shafts can you comment? Thanks

Pretty damn excited for 3 weeks from today when I walk onto a range and a bag full of these await me.

I'm expecting great things.

Pretty damn excited for 3 weeks from today when I walk onto a range and a bag full of these await me.

I'm expecting great things.

I'm expecting you to be lights out with these bad boys.

Yes its on their website. Under the specs

The time is almost near...I'll be gaming a full set of these soon enough.

Been gaming the 7i for a bit and a few of my better shots yesterday came with this club. Ecstatic to put the 6-SW into play next weekend.

High and straight with forgiveness is what I seek....and these have performed well in that capacity.

Dude, you will do awesome with these, and frankly after hitting the 7i I cannot wait to hit them myself a couple times.

First weekend with a full set of these in the bag and I'm very impressed. They will remain in the bag for the foreseeable future, much more to come after I return home this week and get settled back in.

What iron # made the hole in 1?

First weekend with a full set of these in the bag and I'm very impressed. They will remain in the bag for the foreseeable future, much more to come after I return home this week and get settled back in.

What iron # made the hole in 1?

It was the PW, full shot details with a fantastic interview by Orange Hog will likely be out soon.

Cookie: Congrats on the hole in one! Have you had many?

Also, I want to hear how the Bafflers played. I was pretty excited to see the pictures of them. In bags full of "better players'" clubs, it was nice to see something that I might game.

Cookie: Congrats on the hole in one! Have you had many?

Also, I want to hear how the Bafflers played. I was pretty excited to see the pictures of them. In bags full of "better players'" clubs, it was nice to see something that I might game.

Thanks, this was my first.

The distances were pretty spot on with my Altitudes, maybe a touch longer (2-3 yards) per club. Ball flight is high for me with the PXi's but that's me regardless of head/shaft. I did see plenty of toe forgiveness - similar to the Altitudes also in that regard.

I would say that most notable difference was that these dig quicker. We played some soggy courses at times and if I came down too far behind the ball I would see an enormous fat shot. The Altitudes can/will dig also but not as much as these IMO.

I wouldn't say they do anything better than the Altitudes but I did enjoy looking down at a more traditional look.....they are staying in the bag for now.

Thanks, this was my first.

The distances were pretty spot on with my Altitudes, maybe a touch longer (2-3 yards) per club. Ball flight is high for me with the PXi's but that's me regardless of head/shaft. I did see plenty of toe forgiveness - similar to the Altitudes also in that regard.

I would say that most notable difference was that these dig quicker. We played some soggy courses at times and if I came down too far behind the ball I would see an enormous fat shot. The Altitudes can/will dig also but not as much as these IMO.

I wouldn't say they do anything better than the Altitudes but I did enjoy looking down at a more traditional look.....they are staying in the bag for now.

Congrats on the first ace! That will give the set a sentimental value beyond its playing days. I've holed out from long distance, but never hit a hole in one, so I am still chasing my first.

I picked up some of last year's Bafflers and did a bake off against the Altitudes on my monitor and at the range. Granted last year's Bafflers and this year's Baffler XLs are a bit different. Also the Bafflers I used were in steel and the Altitudes were in graphite, so not quite apples to apples.

The Altitudes were about 5 yards longer in carry and total distance, had higher ball speeds, had a slightly lower launch angle, but spun quite a bit more. They were both about the same with respect to forgiveness from about the 7 down. The Altitudes were easier for me in the mid iron area. All of these differences could have been related to the difference in the shaft weight and properties.

The one thing that was a little different is that I tended to hit more of a push draw with the Bafflers and hit the Altitudes just straight. I didn't hit every Altitude perfectly on target but they pretty much went where the club face was pointed. The Bafflers started right and came back to the middle. This is obviously a swing difference, but may be linked to shaft weight, or setup due to more offset on the Bafflers, etc..

I'd been really curious to hear your thoughts on the Baffler XL's.....I didn't like the previous Bafflers at all.

I'd been really curious to hear your thoughts on the Baffler XL's.....I didn't like the previous Bafflers at all.

When the prices come down, I will pick up a set of the XLs and do some comparison testing, which I'll update this thread with. I really like Cobra's gear.

I was probably in the minority, but I was quite impressed by the original Bafflers. I wasn't expecting much and found them to be a very solid offering, particularly when price was factored in. I let a single digit capper friend test them some, and he was also surprised at how good they were. Were they what he'd play visually? No, but I think they were a lot closer than most of the SGI type clubs I've tried.

72843Vc.jpg

4Z4Pp7L.jpg

This arrived yesterday. It's so light I can generate really good club head speed with it. Goes 10-15 yards farther than my a12 OS 7i and is an inch shorter!

It's getting a little brother too, an 8i. I'll have two 8s in my bag, but that's good because my gaps will be complete and I'll have short iron shaft lengths going out to 165 carry distance.

Back