Causes for hitting 3w out towards toe?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I have always struggled with big sweeping hooks with my current 3w. Which is super frustrating cause I can't rely on it when the driver isn't working. Unless I really make an effort to open the face at address its a crap shoot. It wasn't until I took some pictures to put it on the marketplace that I noticed all the ball marks are a little off center and towards the toe.

Can you tell me possible causes of this? This is the ONLY club that I struggle with this miss. My driver miss is a fade and my irons are mostly straight with a little draw.

go to store and hit other 3 woods and see if you hit them better. could be the wrong shaft, club combo for you.

JDTOX, I struggled with the same problem fade (somtimes a slice) the driver and hooked the 3 wood, i have the RFE 15*, i even set it all the way open and still had this problem, the only cure i found so far, BTW im no expert, was to weaken my grip, once i did this i was hitting them straight. that is the only club i use that grip with,

Fitting not right / playing too far forward in stance / shoulders too open at address

could be anything . Go sign up for a few lessons in person : some good guys and gals out there ready to help you out

I know when I start hitting the ball toward the toe, it usually means I stood a touch too far away from the ball. There could be a lot of reasons for it though. Without seeing you hit, it would be really difficult to give an exact cause.

Like others said, could be lots of things. But if it helps, I struggle with the same miss with my longer clubs, and it is almost always because I come over the top. An OTT move will cause one of two misses depending on your face angle -

1) Face open to swing path ==> Fade or slice
2) Face closed to swing path ==> Duck hook

Which sounds like #2 is what you are experiencing with the 3w, and #1 is the driver. If this is true, then you wouldn't have as much of a problem with this miss as the clubs get shorter (i.e. irons) because the extra moment arm/club length magnifies it.

As previously said though, this is all speculation until seeing a video.

For me, toe strikes happen when my hips open to fast. Which causes me to sweep the ball instead of hitting down on it, like I should.

My guess is that you are standing to far from the ball. Out in front of the ball at impact and playing with a shut club face.

Operate behind the ball. Make sure your head remains behind the ball at impact.

Back