Throwback Thursday - Liquidmetal Golf Driver

Just another club line in the lineage of John Hoeflich. He is being kind enough to send us over some cool info on it.

A true legend in the industry. I still remember being at a loss when I got introduced, which is big for me, he's just awesome and also hilarious.

I remember these. I wanted one but couldn't justify cost. I did get a 2-ball sleeve of Liquidmetal golf balls free from somewhere. Don't remember much about them other than they were a little on the hard side.

A true legend in the industry. I still remember being at a loss when I got introduced, which is big for me, he's just awesome and also hilarious.

Yeah that was pretty funny. GG and he are quite close and he reached out to see how Ellie was doing after her surgery. Hoeffy has been very good to us over the years with access and education. His info on this particular company will be incredibly interesting.

Intrigued.

I went earlier and read the 845s TT again. Got me excited for more.

During the timeframe this was released, most clubmakers believed a harder club face equaled distance. The Olimar Trimetal was a pretty hard face, and it was a long driver. I never saw one of the Liquidmetals, so I can't speak to it's length. The Trimetal is still the best sounding metal driver I've ever played. It wasn't but a couple years later, when the springboard effect of driver faces was discovered, and hardness went goodbye.

During the timeframe this was released, most clubmakers believed a harder club face equaled distance. The Olimar Trimetal was a pretty hard face, and it was a long driver. I never saw one of the Liquidmetals, so I can't speak to it's length. The Trimetal is still the best sounding metal driver I've ever played. It wasn't but a couple years later, when the springboard effect of driver faces was discovered, and hardness went goodbye.
The ERC II was out at the same time with a trampoline face.

I hit one of these this morning.
Interesting.

I hit one of these this morning.
Interesting.

Good, bad, ugly? I had one of these way-back-when. I was an even worse golfer back then, so I don't even remember how it sounded or performed.

My response to Liquid Metal, 3 letters = PGX

I still have a Olimar Trimetal in my garage, and yes, I could hit it a ton, but I had too hard a time keeping it on the golf course.

Edit...now that I think about it, I believe I also still have a Killer Bee hanging around somewhere...another long distance club where I was able to spend quality time in the woods hunting for my ball.

The Trimetal infomercials were amazing, almost impossible not to order one...

I never tried out the Liquidmetal driver, seemed interesting . I was preoccupied with the Trimetal, that was an amazing driver and metal woods .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had just picked up the game when these came out and I wanted one badly. Just couldn't afford it coming right out of high school but this brings back memories! I drooled on many of these that year, lol.

I had the exact same experience - fairly new to golf and drooling over the clubs in GolfTown. I also remember the irons having very large heads and only available with graphite shafts. Their entire line was uber expensive.

I had the Rawlings Plasma Fusion baseball bat that featured a Liquidmetal barrel. Never knew they made drivers out of that stuff too. Interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have a Olimar Trimetal in my garage, and yes, I could hit it a ton, but I had too hard a time keeping it on the golf course.

Edit...now that I think about it, I believe I also still have a Killer Bee hanging around somewhere...another long distance club where I was able to spend quality time in the woods hunting for my ball.

I have a trimetal driver in the garage. I'm going to have to dig it out next time I head to the simulator

We had one of these displays at the golf store I worked at in the 90s.

Back