Cobra Bio Cell Driver Review Thread

This makes me happy. Curious to see what you think.

That is a hell of a round dude. I wouldn't eff with it personally, a 270 average is MASSIVE for an amateur.

If you are hitting it that long off 12, you don't need to spend that money on a new driver.

This makes me happy. Curious to see what you think.

That is a hell of a round dude. I wouldn't eff with it personally, a 270 average is MASSIVE for an amateur.
U said it amateur...I would rather be averaging 250 to 260 and be hitting a higher percentage of GIR and have a better iron/ short game.

I guess I'll check out the Bio Cell if it has better forgiveness

It might, but it doesn't for everyone.
It wasn't better for my game.

Statistically, testing has proven that it has a better retention of ball speed than the AC, which makes it more forgiving.

What we see though is that some need more spin, and because the AC is higher spin, they don't feel the Bio to be as forgiving.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it's that simple. But I could be wrong.
I have hit several drivers, including low "spinning ones" and while the Bio Cell was still a good driver it couldn't take the Amp Cell out of my bag.
Trust me, I wanted it to. I custom ordered one and everything.

Distance on avg was within 2-3 yards of each other but my Amp Cell was more forgiving on mis hits and I hit more fairways with it.

I will say I did some extensive shaft testing with my Amp Cell that I didn't get to do with the Bio cell.

I hit 11/ 14 fairways today..

12/14 last round

Averaging 270 off the Tee Box.. and have had several 300 plus the last few weeks. (With roll out of course)

I'm afraid to give that up. I have it dialed in perfect for me. Tried different shafts but the Stock Stiff was the best numbers wise and playing wise.

I mean is it worth another hundred for 5 to 10 yards?
Those are great numbers both yardage wise and percentage wise for fairways hit. Like JMAN said - not sure I would change a thing.

I like the numbers I am seeing with the Amp Cell and while I am not in a rush to change to the Bio Cell- the curiosity is there for me.

Those are great numbers both yardage wise and percentage wise for fairways hit. Like JMAN said - not sure I would change a thing.

I like the numbers I am seeing with the Amp Cell and while I am not in a rush to change to the Bio Cell- the curiosity is there for me.
Yeah. I'm very curious but a bird in one hand..

I will say I did some extensive shaft testing with my Amp Cell that I didn't get to do with the Bio cell.
Barberakb, just out of interest, what driver shaft do you use.
I remember talking to someone earlier in the year and they commented that the biggest problem with the Amp Cell was the shock shaft!
It was probably the reason why I went with the X Hot.

Having hit the Amp Cell and having brought the Bio Cell the difference in the stock shafts is incredible . The stock shaft in the AC was very weak ..well it didn't t feel right in my hands and swing ...and lots of THPers felt the same and changed out the shaft and loved the head with a good shaft attached. The Bio cell stock shaft is brilliant and one of the best stock shafts I have hit....in my limited experience... Just feels right

Barberakb, just out of interest, what driver shaft do you use.
I remember talking to someone earlier in the year and they commented that the biggest problem with the Amp Cell was the shock shaft!
It was probably the reason why I went with the X Hot.

Believe it or not, the best shaft for me and my Amp Cell is the Aldila Protopype stiff shaft.
By everything you read online and in reviews this shaft is rebar, only for super high swing players.

But for me I hit it really well. And I tried 8 different shafts. Which is insane since before this driver the most I have tried with a different head was 2!

I like the stock offering in the bio cell.

Out of the other 7 shafts I tried in the Amp Cell, my second favorite was the ... project X PX v

Got this driver about a month ago and have really enjoyed the crap out of it! I'm a fairly new golfer and didn't quite have a proper driver before this one and was struggling with driver a bit. Started playing fall '13 and down to a 20 hcp now.

I have to say it feels very forgiving and quite long. Playing it in the regular shaft at 10,5 degree loft. Drove two 300 yard par 4 greens! A first for me! Granted the ground is quite firm now so a bunch of rollout but it's still a completely different game for me now. Leaving myself with wedge on 400 yard par 4 with some helping wind and friendly bounces instead of i6 or something is just a game changer.

I want to say it's all down to my improvement I've done lately, but I don't think I can. Maybe 50/50 though. But the forgivness is definitely something I'm enjoying! Doesn't always strike it out the middle with the driver yet and it still flies very well with no big curvature. Loving it! And it looks great as well!

Question for anyone with the Bio Cell driver. Has anyone put the Red Tie in the Bio Cell head? After the cup I brought my J40 to the range I belong to to hit on the sim side by side with the Bio Cell and Bio Cell+. The numbers between the Cell+ and the J40 were really similar. I launch the ball really low. Average launch was between 8* and 9* with only 2500-2700 back spin so I'm losing a lot of carry distance. I swung the Bio Cell and Got the launch up closer to 12* and 13* but the back spin went up to about 3500 with it so the carry distance was pretty similar between all 3 drivers. I started thinking if I threw the Red Tie in the Bio Cell head it could be a great match. Anyone ever do this? What kind of results were you seeing?

Question for anyone with the Bio Cell driver. Has anyone put the Red Tie in the Bio Cell head? After the cup I brought my J40 to the range I belong to to hit on the sim side by side with the Bio Cell and Bio Cell+. The numbers between the Cell+ and the J40 were really similar. I launch the ball really low. Average launch was between 8* and 9* with only 2500-2700 back spin so I'm losing a lot of carry distance. I swung the Bio Cell and Got the launch up closer to 12* and 13* but the back spin went up to about 3500 with it so the carry distance was pretty similar between all 3 drivers. I started thinking if I threw the Red Tie in the Bio Cell head it could be a great match. Anyone ever do this? What kind of results were you seeing?

Yep, until I got my MC driver I was playing a Bio+ red tie and tip in a regular Bio head, you just have to mentally account for the 1* difference on the adapter.

Spins less than the stock setup but maintains a good launch. Definitely could be worth a try dude.

Got this driver about a month ago and have really enjoyed the crap out of it! I'm a fairly new golfer and didn't quite have a proper driver before this one and was struggling with driver a bit. Started playing fall '13 and down to a 20 hcp now.

I have to say it feels very forgiving and quite long. Playing it in the regular shaft at 10,5 degree loft. Drove two 300 yard par 4 greens! A first for me! Granted the ground is quite firm now so a bunch of rollout but it's still a completely different game for me now. Leaving myself with wedge on 400 yard par 4 with some helping wind and friendly bounces instead of i6 or something is just a game changer.

I want to say it's all down to my improvement I've done lately, but I don't think I can. Maybe 50/50 though. But the forgivness is definitely something I'm enjoying! Doesn't always strike it out the middle with the driver yet and it still flies very well with no big curvature. Loving it! And it looks great as well!

Glad you're digging this one! Be sure to keep us updated on how the journey keeps going.

And welcome to THP!

Yep, until I got my MC driver I was playing a Bio+ red tie and tip in a regular Bio head, you just have to mentally account for the 1* difference on the adapter.

Spins less than the stock setup but maintains a good launch. Definitely could be worth a try dude.

I'm heading to the range today so I'll be sure to report back.

I'm heading to the range today so I'll be sure to report back.

Nice dude, if nothing else its a fun freaking head. I'm curious to see how it all goes buddy.

My daughter has a bio cell and I want to get her another shaft. We are going to keep the shaft she has, but want anothr set up. I see the adapters on ebay and I wondered if I got one of them if all the person that is installing the shaft has to do is install the shaft in the adapter or if there is more to it?
Thank you

My daughter has a bio cell and I want to get her another shaft. We are going to keep the shaft she has, but want anothr set up. I see the adapters on ebay and I wondered if I got one of them if all the person that is installing the shaft has to do is install the shaft in the adapter or if there is more to it?
Thank you

That is all that's required. Make sure the tip is prepped and the adapter is cleaned with some acetone as well and you are good to epoxy. Very easy for anyone to do, super simple for a shop.

Banged one 302 yesterday (I have witnesses) & averaged 265 today. This driver is simply stupid long for me.

Banged one 302 yesterday (I have witnesses) & averaged 265 today. This driver is simply stupid long for me.

#InternetGolfer :D

I'm kidding. I was a witness. GPS'd at that distance... Matthew and this driver are getting along very, very well.

I have one coming in Silver...can't wait to try it out after reading this thread and the one about the most forgiving drivers...don't really care for what I'm gaming now.

Sounds like this thing will be right up my alley. First time for a Cobra club in my bag. Hopefully it won't let me down.

I was pretty wild with the Bio Cell yesterday, but when I hit it, I touched parts of the course I never used to reach. It's a complicated relationship.

I got the BioCell in today and took it out for a range session.

Color me impressed...Color me beautiful metallic silver.

Overall Impressions:
I played around with settings, got the best ball flight from the 9.5 Draw setting. Nice boring trajectory.
Very Forgiving. Misses near the toe or hosel still went.
The stock ProjectX PXv agrees with me. It felt light years better than the shaft on my previous driver.
Minor misses we very controlled. I could tell very easily when I missed and where. I really only hung it right when I over swung.
I had to tee it a little higher than what I'm used to.
Nice clean sound, more muted than my previous driver.
A good clean center hit went Looooong.
Most balls were either straight or a baby fade of about 5 yards or so from target line, even had a few (gasp) draws in there. Where did those come from?

Overall very happy with it. I can see this staying in the bag for a while.

I can't believe I don't have one of these in my stall :confused2:

I posted about 2 weeks ago that I bought a new Bio Cell driver on ebay. Well, I just bought another one, as I give the first driver as a present to my mate (and Best Man, for my Wedding at the end of Sept) as a thank you gift, for all his hard work organising the wedding, my Stag night etc.. I was planning on getting him a gift and trying to give him something that he would use.

We were mid-round and we noticed that his driver was damaged. I happened to have the new driver in the car, which was still wrapped. So when we got back to the car, I handed it over to him. I suggested go and hit the same demo club at a range, if he liked it, happy days, if not, he could trade it in for a driver more suitable for him. Needless to say he was blown away. Win, Win situation.

Back