Electronics Pondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously though, the more I research the more it does everything I want. But the battery and MicroSD really round it out for me over the Samsung.

But hell, I'd be happy with the 5 or the G3 to be honest.

I didn't need an external battery pack once the entire time I was in Myrtle. In fact, I don't think I went to bed at night with anything less than 40% left of battery life.

I want a G3

If you're serious, check out: this link.

I know it is expensive, but it is unlocked and, as the UK variant, it has built-in wireless charging that was removed from the US version of the phone.

(I have no affiliation with the seller and cannot vouch for them, though I have heard good things from others about them.)

I need a PUMA Soundchuck. Such an awesome device.

I need a PUMA Soundchuck. Such an awesome device.
I just got a cheap Bluetooth Speaker on Amazon just for around the house and outside. My wife and I were both able to connect our phones so cool I should have gotten one so much earlier.

After one full night of using the Air, I am shocked that they can charge what they do for it. But it will serve the purpose for the most part and I got a heck of a deal on an open box. Great look and form factor, but the speed is attrocious for what you pay. There are small laptops that cost a third of the price that have the same specs it appears and similar weight.

But none of them will handle MTS files natively and those machines are not going to handle Vegas, Final Cut or anything of the like. I can at least take the MTS files and order them correctly natively in iMovie (FCP slows this machine down to a crawl) and then export them into a batch and move them to the PC for full editing or my MBP for full editing.

It really is a solid backup computer, that is quite pricey, but if one only lives in the Apple Ecosystem, then it would work solidly (meaning iPhone, MBP and iPad). For just browing the internet and simple tasks, it handles it just fine as expected. Handles the Mac Apps just fine. It even handles Garage Band just fine (we do some minor audio stuff in that).

It reminds me quite a bit of a Surface Pro, minus the tablet abilities. The MBP 13.3 is about $500 more, and since I have a 27" monitor I use for my office, probably should have opted for it, but with the 17" MBP already (and it wreaks) and the 15" Samsung as my primary, I could not justify spending over a grand for another backup computer.

Thanks for the update, don't think I will be spending the money on one now though.

Speed is king, and the fact that the air gets so bogged down would annoy me.

Thanks for the update, don't think I will be spending the money on one now though.

You can order one through apple only with i7 and double the memory but then you are talking about the same cost as the mbp and way more expensive than my Samsung that runs faster than both of them.

I think it depends on what you're looking to do with it. I did the majority of my PhD work on the Ai. That involved a lot of computation, but to me if I had Word, Excel, and Outlook open, the machine felt bogged down. That probably says more to the state of the Office applications on Mac than anything though.

The Macbook Air experiment ended today. Returned to BestBuy and the new MBP 13.3 Retina in its place. Slim and light like the Air (the new version), but with more power and double the Ram. Crazy to think that the Samsung has better specs out of the box, does more things, is faster and costs several hundred less, but it is what it is.

I think the Air is solid if you are going to use it like a glorified tablet or what a netbook used to be. Browse the web, view media, return emails and basic functions. Hard to shell out a grand for that type of system unless you are really really really tied into a certain "ecosystem" however.

I think the Air is solid if you are going to use it like a glorified tablet or what a netbook used to be. Browse the web, view media, return emails and basic functions. Hard to shell out a grand for that type of system unless you are really really really tied into a certain "ecosystem" however.
Thanks for that conclusion. It seemed to me anything performs those very basic functions ... so I was wondering if I was missing something on why we would need an Air.

Thanks for that conclusion. It seemed to me anything performs those very basic functions ... so I was wondering if I was missing something on why we would need an Air.

I think those in the ecosystem love the ability to have a full laptop that is super light and has great battery life. Frequent travelers too. However with how thin and light the new MBP 13.3 is, Im not sure if they do some substantial stuff.

I guess the flipside is that if you dont do anything with photos and/or videos (outside of viewing), it might work fine.

I think those in the ecosystem love the ability to have a full laptop that is super light and has great battery life. Frequent travelers too. However with how thin and light the new MBP 13.3 is, Im not sure if they do some substantial stuff.

I guess the flipside is that if you dont do anything with photos and/or videos (outside of viewing), it might work fine.

If you don't do anything with photos and or/video, your'e better off with a Chromebook.

Posted from my MacBook Air.

If you don't do anything with photos and or/video, your'e better off with a Chromebook.

Posted from my MacBook Air.

You can do any sort of video manipulation from the Air?

You can do any sort of video manipulation from the Air?

Very little. Even with the upgraded core i7 and 8gb of ram my performance in labor intensive tasks makes it a challenge.

My next laptop with be a MacBook Pro. If I stay with Apple.

Very little. Even with the upgraded core i7 and 8gb of ram my performance in labor intensive tasks makes it a challenge.

My next laptop with be a MacBook Pro. If I stay with Apple.

Gotcha. Yeah I looked at that but it was the same cost as the new MBP. I will say that I am very surprised how thin the new MBP is, which is quite nice. Opting for the SSD helped a lot and keeping it 128 instead of 256 kept the cost down (I use external MyCloud).

Gotcha. Yeah I looked at that but it was the same cost as the new MBP. I will say that I am very surprised how thin the new MBP is, which is quite nice. Opting for the SSD helped a lot and keeping it 128 instead of 256 kept the cost down (I use external MyCloud).

The Pro really is what most people should consider. The Air was great because it forced companies to to develop slim and powerful laptops, but like with most things Apple lately it's starting to show its age and resistance to be the leader in its market.

The Pro really is what most people should consider. The Air was great because it forced companies to to develop slim and powerful laptops, but like with most things Apple lately it's starting to show its age and resistance to be the leader in its market.

I tend to agree. THis is a solid machine (the new MBP w/ retina), but dollar for dollar most will say it does not stack up and hardware wise it doesn't. But the form factor works, they finally got smart the last few years and gave us HDMI out and created a nice form factor for the more talented notebook.

The new MBP handles the video 11x faster than the Air did. Not too shabby. Ironically enough, still not as fast as the Samsung does, but handles the format I need natively without conversion.

I'm not in any rush to replace my Air, but next go round will be the first time Apple isn't the only one consisted.

I am going to pull the trigger on a chromebook tonight. Apparently the Haswell processor is the way to go. If my research is right the Samsung offerings do not have Haswell. This means the HP or Toshiba are the likely options. Any thoughts on one vs. the other?

I am going to pull the trigger on a chromebook tonight. Apparently the Haswell processor is the way to go. If my research is right the Samsung offerings do not have Haswell. This means the HP or Toshiba are the likely options. Any thoughts on one vs. the other?

Never tried either, but have heard the same on the processor.

The small HP Chromebook was really slow for me when I tested it. The larger one fared much better.

I know nothing of processors but love my Toshiba Chrome Book. Even just on a hotspot, it's PLENTY fast and I hate slow internet.

a8agyhy8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back