Rory McIlroy Wins WGC & Takes Over #1 Ranking

I really enjoy seeing him, but it pisses me off that all we hear about is Tiger's injury, when will people realise that we now have a new king?
I agree with you here...I know Tiger is good for the game and all but there was still a tournament being played long after he withdrew and they could have easily stopped showing the replays of him tweaking his back every commercial break

Just good to truly say the #1 player in the world is playing like the #1 player in the world. Don't feel like we have said that for awhile

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

It does show how flawed the OWGR is. Tiger Woods right now I believe is ranked 10th. The year so far featured a tie for 80th, tie for 25th, 69th, missed cut and 2 withdraws. Directly behind him are Spieth and Kaymer.

It shows that the OWGR has very little insight into the current view on the sport.

Everything is obviously just clicking for him at the moment and it would be great to see him continue this form for a long time. He has shown recently that he can now lead from the front, but he can also reel people back in

I do feel sorry for Garcia though, as Rory has done to him what he wasn't able to do to Rory at the Open recently and that has got to be a bit demoralizing to have that happen

It is hard to say that the events in his personal life haven't had some effect, but I think this plus the combination of some of his experiences over the last few years (ie the Masters collapse) have really grounded him and as long as his form continues he is going to be difficult to stop

When he started with Nike he went 3-PW and a 54° & 60° if I remember right. The 4 wedges is interesting to me

I want to say he added the extra wedge for Pinehurst but I could be wrong.

4-9 in his blades 46 as a PW so it's really not the odd other than a 6 degree gap to his 52 gap wedge.

Love seeing the Toe Swept wedge back in the bag after the Open.

Impossible to say if he will win the PGA Championship, but he undoubtedly has to be the favorite. If a guy like Adam Scott or Bubba are dialed into their games then Rory is beatable. If Rory plays his best, he won't be beat - at his best, he is just brilliant from tee to green.

Is Rory driving it longer than Bubba right now?
I can just imagine Bubba getting frustrated seeing Rory ahead of him in the fairway all day.

I don't know that Rory's game can be beat when its at this level. Par 5s are his play thing and he makes a mockery of long par 4s.

Is Rory driving it longer than Bubba right now?
I can just imagine Bubba getting frustrated seeing Rory ahead of him in the fairway all day.

I don't know that Rory's game can be beat when its at this level. Par 5s are his play thing and he makes a mockery of long par 4s.

Bubba is averaging 4 yards more off the tee this season.

I feel like Valhalla fairways, particularly the front 9, could just become Rory's play ground. He's a favorite if he keeps his driver going.

On a side note, Rory pulling driver on seemingly EVERY hole this past weekend was a refreshing change to the usual touring pro course management strategy. Once upon a time, we all wanted to hit the driver like Tiger. Will Rory's 'hit the driver' attitude bring a few more people into the game who want to 'hit it like Rory?' Will Rory boost some driver sales?

~Rock

This thread sounds eerily similar to what was posted after Rory's PGA win at Kiawah in 2012. Kid has unbelievable talent but I'm not yet convinced that we'll see him go on a long stretch of dominating golf. Pattern so far is Rory plays lights out for short stretches then game falls off for a while.

This thread sounds eerily similar to what was posted after Rory's PGA win at Kiawah in 2012. Kid has unbelievable talent but I'm not yet convinced that we'll see him go on a long stretch of dominating golf. Pattern so far is Rory plays lights out for short stretches then game falls off for a while.

I think this one could last a bit longer--lets hope at least through the playoffs, we have seen in the past where other golfers have peaks of brilliance for short times, hopefully there are no major life or swing changes coming to derail the run.

I feel like Valhalla fairways, particularly the front 9, could just become Rory's play ground. He's a favorite if he keeps his driver going.

On a side note, Rory pulling driver on seemingly EVERY hole this past weekend was a refreshing change to the usual touring pro course management strategy. Once upon a time, we all wanted to hit the driver like Tiger. Will Rory's 'hit the driver' attitude bring a few more people into the game who want to 'hit it like Rory?' Will Rory boost some driver sales?

~Rock

I know this is going to sound much worse than it's intended but I am truly glad to see a Nike driver hit so many fairways, it really removes the myth about the shaft and head pairings and Rory is just killing that thing.

I love watching Rory play. Having him at #1 and playing some incredible golf is just what we need right now. Loved watching him hit all those drivers so long and accurately.

I think a certain female tennis player had a say in that demise :).... But I agree I want to see him take this momentum & become one of the greats. He has talent & time on his side. I can see him winning 10 majors by the time he is 30.

As I was talking to a buddy this morning. Look how the potential Ryder Cup teams took a swing on different directions this past week or two

Europe:
Rory
Sergio
Justin Rose

US
Dustin Johnson
Tiger

Doesn't bode well for September

As I was talking to a buddy this morning. Look how the potential Ryder Cup teams took a swing on different directions this past week or two

Europe:
Rory
Sergio
Justin Rose

US
Dustin Johnson
Tiger

Doesn't bode well for September

Depends on your point of view :wink:

I went out of town yesterday and didn't catch the coverage but I wasn't surprised to hear Rory pulled out the win. He is clearly the #1 golfer in the world and he is going to be a force to be reckoned with for a while.

I went out of town yesterday and didn't catch the coverage but I wasn't surprised to hear Rory pulled out the win. He is clearly the #1 golfer in the world and he is going to be a force to be reckoned with for a while.

He didn't so much as pull it out, more like yanked it out of Sergio's hand in the first 5 holes and played keep away.

His start was like the VCU basketball team opening on a 20-4 blitz to start a game.

Thing is, had Sergio done anything at all we'd have had a playoff minimum. Rory definitely kept him at arms length, but Garcia only made one birdie and was way off the level he'd set for the rest of the week. Not that Rory didn't deserve it, but it wasn't the contest I'd hoped it would be

Rory's really looking sharp lately. It is really fun to watch him play. Really look forward to seeing how long he can keep going like this and what he can accomplish.

Excellent writing style, JB

Back