New video game "The Golf Club"

I might actually give this game a try. Seeing as the new EA game incorporates aspects of Battlefield 4 into it...I'm not very excited about it.

I am still looking forward to seeing what EA has up their sleeves. Now that they dropped Tiger I am interested to see what new golfers they pick up, and I'm curious to see if Augusta stays in the game. I know they only put a few fantasy courses back in because they had a lot of demand for them according to the last interview I read from them. I never got much in to the fantasy courses but some of them were so challenging I did enjoy playing them against friends from time to time.

That being said, I will definitely be giving the Golf Club a shot, I only wish they were able to get some licensing done with at least one manufacturer so that they could have added some authenticity to the game by having real equipment.

With the PC 1.0 release that came out sometime recently, the physics issues of the spin on the green were resolved and some basic stats were added to the game. Really think that it plays a solid round of golf now. As the release gets onto consoles and people start putting some more work into the designer, I am looking forward to seeing the courses that people create.

Getting excited for the release

When they partnered with Greg Norman and added the 'painting textures' feature to the course designer, I'm just beyond thrilled to start making some courses. I see a lot of late nights of course design in my future.

~Rock

When they partnered with Greg Norman and added the 'painting textures' feature to the course designer, I'm just beyond thrilled to start making some courses. I see a lot of late nights of course design in my future.

~Rock
I hear ya! On Xbox's Avatar Golf (1&2) I made a ton of courses, sometimes losing complete track of time. I got to know the dev and his underlings and they say a couple of them are still in heavy rotation out there of those who still play it. Of course that was all cartoony stuff. I can not wait until this comes out for more realism. Should I admit I already have a folder of pictures of ideas saved away for when the release comes?

I don't have any pictures saved away (although it crossed my mind one day), but I have thought out several holes in my head.

Pure curiosity, who here is PS4 and who is Xbone (or PC). I know I'm going to get it for my Xbone.

~Rock

PS4

I'm looking forward to trying to design done of my local courses!

PS4

I'm looking forward to trying to design done of my local courses!

Well that just figures. Oh well, they are saying that they are looking into allowing 'ghost balls' cross platform in the future. I hope they are able to let us set up tours and tournaments cross platform in the future.

~Rock

Xbox one here

Tap talking my way thru the World of golf!

X1 here. And with cross-platform course sharing, we can at least play the same courses.

X-1 havent used it lately but will be once this game comes out. Toad what is your GT again I need to add you still

toad462

I was thinking about the timing of the The Golf Club Game. I believe it would have been far better off had it released in May or June given the fall lineup of games. It'll still get all the golfers, but I fear it won't pick up as many of the casual video gamers who would play a golf game, particularly those that just wouldn't have anything better to do with the general lack of next-gen games. With minecraft still seemingly set to release in August (which I expect M$ and Sony to push through before The Golf Club game), followed by some behemoth games, Destiny, Halo Reruns (on Xbox), and the annoyingly annualized releases of COD and AC, its going to be a tough market for competition.

Not that it will detract from my absolute love of the game, and in particular, the course creator. I've seen some pretty cool youtube videos of gameplay on some pretty spectacular courses.

~Rock

I was thinking about the timing of the The Golf Club Game. I believe it would have been far better off had it released in May or June given the fall lineup of games. It'll still get all the golfers, but I fear it won't pick up as many of the casual video gamers who would play a golf game, particularly those that just wouldn't have anything better to do with the general lack of next-gen games. With minecraft still seemingly set to release in August (which I expect M$ and Sony to push through before The Golf Club game), followed by some behemoth games, Destiny, Halo Reruns (on Xbox), and the annoyingly annualized releases of COD and AC, its going to be a tough market for competition.

Not that it will detract from my absolute love of the game, and in particular, the course creator. I've seen some pretty cool youtube videos of gameplay on some pretty spectacular courses.

~Rock

http://www.pastapadre.com/2014/08/0...release-likely-to-land-on-worst-possible-date

It has to compete with Madden, NHL, FIFA, Destiny etc...

They are in it for the long haul from what I have seen. Build this one game and then support it for a couple of years.

Xbox One here as well. Looking forward to this game getting released.

A video game golf thread ? Woot , nice . This game rocks on my PC rocks and rocks

I will probably just stick with the PC version (particularly since the course library is supposed to be universal). The last update really did wonders for my enjoyment of the game (since you can actually hold greens now). I look forward to seeing what folks can dream up in the designer, and there are a couple nice user created ones already, but I really look forward to quality "real" course renditions being released by the community.

Speaking of course design, I've been thinking about how I will approach it. I can't envision an entire course. I can, however, envision creating a large landscape, and then designing a course within it, working with what I have. I mean, I just don't think I could start out flat, and then 'sculpt' each hole individually to make a congruent design. The most I could do is maybe make a signature feature, like a large hill, or a river, etc.

Has anyone else thought of that? How are you planning on creating the course of your dreams?

~Rock

Speaking of course design, I've been thinking about how I will approach it. I can't envision an entire course. I can, however, envision creating a large landscape, and then designing a course within it, working with what I have. I mean, I just don't think I could start out flat, and then 'sculpt' each hole individually to make a congruent design. The most I could do is maybe make a signature feature, like a large hill, or a river, etc.

Has anyone else thought of that? How are you planning on creating the course of your dreams?

~Rock

Rock - then you are going to love the course creator because your vision is exactly how it will work. You set the landscape and then it generates a course layout within the landscape that you can either tweak or overhaul completely. No starting from scratch.

This looks cool, the problem that folks have pointed out is that it will compete for my dollars with other titles. I had been considering Madden already. Is it supposed to a digital download? Any guesses on price? It would be fun to design a course, I always missed that feature on the EA games. I used to doodle and draw courses all the time when I was in high school.

This looks cool, the problem that folks have pointed out is that it will compete for my dollars with other titles. I had been considering Madden already. Is it supposed to a digital download? Any guesses on price? It would be fun to design a course, I always missed that feature on the EA games. I used to doodle and draw courses all the time when I was in high school.

Digital Download - early word is $40-$50

Rock - then you are going to love the course creator because your vision is exactly how it will work. You set the landscape and then it generates a course layout within the landscape that you can either tweak or overhaul completely. No starting from scratch.

Oh, I'm all about generating the landscape first. I like the idea of procedural generation and tweaking, but I really love the from scratch idea. I just can't envision a course, and then say "ok, the base landscape must look like this," and then create it. I'd have to create the landscape, then just start creating holes from scratch on the existing landscape. In other words, I would let the landscape dictate how I created the course.

I've been watching a lot of youtube videos, the new 'paint surfaces' feature is perhaps the greatest addition so far to the course creator.

~Rock

Back