Club Head Speed for Average Male Golfers

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
Sorry to disappoint all of the #InternetGolfers out there, but you probably don't swing it over 100 mph. From this article (http://blog.trackmangolf.com/performance-of-the-average-male-amateur/), here's is the distribution of swing speeds that was collected by Trackman for over 10000 male golfers:

Club-Speed-for-Average-Male-Golfer.png

If you consistently swing your driver over 100 mph, then congrats because you are in the top 25% of swing speeds overall.

I find these charts useless. Get fit, get on a monitor, find out what you swing and what you should play.

Ary killing my dreams.

Clearly it says 0% for 115+ because I wasn't on the monitor

Awesome, I'm 2-4 MPH under the average. :act-up:

I find these charts useless. Get fit, get on a monitor, find out what you swing and what you should play.

Ary killing my dreams.

To be fair, what the chart and first post is missing (at least to the realm of internet golfers) is that the golfers that are die hard on the internet, are usually making up the rare 10% of everything anyway. Whether that be swing, purchasing, etc. So testing 10k golfers might be a great tool to show averages, but the golfers that make up the 6% or so that are researching online do not make up that 10k in most situations.

We watched a test being done at my parent's club where they were testing driving distance and handicap ranges. Shocking, they show up to an upscale resort course in FL and the golfers have slower swing speeds and the visitors have higher handicaps. I mean who would have guessed that older people lose some swing speed and that vacationing golfers at a private resort are sometimes not the best golfers.

To be fair, what the chart and first post is missing (at least to the realm of internet golfers) is that the golfers that are die hard on the internet, are usually making up the rare 10% of everything anyway. Whether that be swing, purchasing, etc. So testing 10k golfers might be a great tool to show averages, but the golfers that make up the 6% or so that are researching online do not make up that 10k in most situations.

We watched a test being done at my parent's club where they were testing driving distance and handicap ranges. Shocking, they show up to an upscale resort course in FL and the golfers have slower swing speeds and the visitors have higher handicaps. I mean who would have guessed that older people lose some swing speed and that vacationing golfers at a private resort are sometimes not the best golfers.

now what would have been an interesting report would have been the numbers that the Bridgestone fitters did at the THP Outing while at Reunion. Clearly the sample size would be very small, about 60 golfers or so.

Yeah, I always get my feelings hurt when I jump on a monitor and it's between 98-102 every time, even when I pull a muscle from trying to swing so hard. It's helped me swing easier knowing I don't get anything extra out of swinging 'harder'.

Yeah, I always get my feelings hurt when I jump on a monitor and it's between 98-102 every time, even when I pull a muscle from trying to swing so hard. It's helped me swing easier knowing I don't get anything extra out of swinging 'harder'.
This is something I'm learning as well. When I swing easy I hit it just as far as when I try to step on it, but my brain tells me I need to try harder to hit it farther but that just isn't the case.

I am 10mph over avg i better watch for speeding tickets

The SC100 and Trackman put me at about 102mph, but Foresight/GC2 and Simulators always put me at 110 so I really have no idea. I think I'm closer to 100 than 110.

now what would have been an interesting report would have been the numbers that the Bridgestone fitters did at the THP Outing while at Reunion. Clearly the sample size would be very small, about 60 golfers or so.

Im going to take a look and see if I can grab that info. Being that the ball most fit for was not the RX, it makes me think that those might be higher.

I'd tend to agree, but I would also think that the people participating in the Trackman Combine (or getting on a Trackman at all) would also be a bit more in the die hard category as well.

While I am well below that average swing speed nearly every THP member I have met would be on the higher end of that graph.

Nice stats here, I've never tried to be a 115 mph swinger, not that I wouldn't want to be. But I just focus on the smooth swing and let it happen. I know I'm in the 94-97 mph range and I'm cool with that. The swing speed doesn't matter, just the score at the end of the round does.

Those stats don't surprise me. At all.

I suppose my other question is whether the participants are aware they're being measured as part of a swing speed survey. Nothing says "break a rib and hit down on a drive" like being told you're participating in a swing speed survey. As such, I wonder what swing speed and attack angle (as much a measurement of driving success as speed, IMO) would be if it could be measured surreptitiously.

Is there a comparable chart which gives an average driver distance per any given swing speed. I hit it 240-245 on the course withe average rollout, and would like to know what my relative swing speed is to get it out there (haven't been on a launch monitor since I got fitted for my irons last year) ... thx

So, the driver head speed vs. handicap chart has me pegged pretty well. Now, am I to assume I can just count on staying at this handicap unless my swing speed increases? That seems kind of dumb. I could actually learn to hit a long iron, or putt a bit better, and the chart would be way off. OR, I'm just stuck here and won't lower the 'cap.

So, the driver head speed vs. handicap chart has me pegged pretty well. Now, am I to assume I can just count on staying at this handicap unless my swing speed increases? That seems kind of dumb. I could actually learn to hit a long iron, or putt a bit better, and the chart would be way off. OR, I'm just stuck here and won't lower the 'cap.

Embrace your inner Corey Pavin.

Only time I ever see my swing speed is if the technology is working at Golf Galaxy. Not sure if that is even close to being right but I will say it is consistent for me.

I'm sure they have data to back it up, but that chart is way off for me. It is telling me I should be scratch and I have a long way to go. I play with a lot of people with double digit handicaps with swing speeds over 100.

Sorry to disappoint all of the #InternetGolfers out there, but you probably don't swing it over 100 mph. From this article (http://blog.trackmangolf.com/performance-of-the-average-male-amateur/), here's is the distribution of swing speeds that was collected by Trackman for over 10000 male golfers:

Club-Speed-for-Average-Male-Golfer.png

If you consistently swing your driver over 100 mph, then congrats because you are in the top 25% of swing speeds overall.

This chart would be even better if they broke down by age, maybe by decade. Interesting for sure, it appears I'm right in the biggest group.

~Rock

Back