HoselRocket104

Reaction score
Handicap
I needed to get some golf balls to replenish my stock. I stopped at Sports Authority and they had Pro Vs and the Tour Preferred Taylormades for $45. Felt like changing it up so I stopped at Wal-Mart. They're selection was pretty weak. They had the same Taylormades but that was it. I figured I'd go a head a grab 2 or 3 boxes of the Preferred Xs. I opened the box and to my surprise it was full of Callaway Warbirds. Somebody had switched out the $45 dollar balls and put the $15 balls in the other box. I'm really glad I looked before I bought the balls.

A Wal-Mart employee walked by and I showed him the box. He didn't understand what I was showing him. Then the light turned on and he got it. He sure got pissed. He said, "that's got to happen all the time." Not sure if it does or not but it's a pretty easy way to steal high end tour balls. I guess from here on out i'll always open the box to make sure it has the right balls in it.

That's dirty!! Never thought about that either. Thanks now I'm gonna start looking every time I make my ball purchases!

That is really wrong yet pretty clever of the dude that made the switch.

If Walmart actually had people working on the sales floor to service customers, things like this would be difficult and not likely.

I needed to get some golf balls to replenish my stock. I stopped at Sports Authority and they had Pro Vs and the Tour Preferred Taylormades for $45. Felt like changing it up so I stopped at Wal-Mart. They're selection was pretty weak. They had the same Taylormades but that was it. I figured I'd go a head a grab 2 or 3 boxes of the Preferred Xs. I opened the box and to my surprise it was full of Callaway Warbirds. Somebody had switched out the $45 dollar balls and put the $15 balls in the other box. I'm really glad I looked before I bought the balls.

A Wal-Mart employee walked by and I showed him the box. He didn't understand what I was showing him. Then the light turned on and he got it. He sure got pissed. He said, "that's got to happen all the time." Not sure if it does or not but it's a pretty easy way to steal high end tour balls. I guess from here on out i'll always open the box to make sure it has the right balls in it.

Years ago I worked at Target stocking shelves and people did that quite often. I brought it to the attention of the store manager and they started putting security devices on premium balls, basically they had a couple wires wrapped around them that were attached to a security device that would need removed in order to remove the wires and take the cover off. I bet we see more of this in retail over time. I bet golf shops are in the habit of checking before they ring them up but a retail cashier probably wouldn't think twice

I never would have thought to check that before reading your story. Next time I am in GS I will check them out before I buy anything. Thanks for sharing

That just shows the lengths some people will go to I guess - not good for the store and not good for someone who buys a box without checking as I guess a lot of stores wouldn't offer you anything once you have left the store with them

At the golf stores near me, they all have the balls by the counter so it is a lot harder to pull something like that, but other places actually remove the sleeves and just leave an empty box on the shelf so you take that to the counter and they then fill it from the stock behind the counter, or they have the boxes sealed so that you can't open them

That is a crappy thing to do i will have to remember to always check

Years ago I worked at Target stocking shelves and people did that quite often. I brought it to the attention of the store manager and they started putting security devices on premium balls, basically they had a couple wires wrapped around them that were attached to a security device that would need removed in order to remove the wires and take the cover off. I bet we see more of this in retail over time. I bet golf shops are in the habit of checking before they ring them up but a retail cashier probably wouldn't think twice

There's five places in town to get golf balls. Two clubhouses, a Sports Authority, Walmart and Kmart. No chance employees at Kmart and Walmart know the difference between Pro Vs and Mojos. I've never heard of this happening but i'm sure it more prevalent than I thought.

That sounds like a Walmart exclusive to me

I have been lucky so far I guess, but honestly I usually order on line when there are sales and most times the s&h is free too.

I usually buy my balls from Academy and they always open the box before they ring them up.

I returned some balls to Wal-Mart, and they checked every single ball. I usually get mine from somewhere else though.

I've had this happen to me at Target last year. Went to buy B330-RX, checked the box and it was full of cheap topflight sleeves. I found a box that was good to buy and I took the bad box to the front of the store and told the manager.

You would think they would get a simple piece of security tape to prevent that problem.

~Rock

I thought that's been a constant issue for years. I've bought the odd box of balls at WalMart and always check first. Giveaway was white balls in a yellow E6 box the first time I noticed.

I have heard of this happening to others as well. Another reason not to visit Walmart...........

Two places I buy balls from always open the box and check a random sleeve. They've obviously been burnt before.

Will definitely be keeping an eye out for this when purchasing from somewhere other than normal places I shop.

Wherei usally go the Target has the premium balls wrapped with a security restraint so this does not happen. I like this idea as it ensures this type of problem does not happen. Not quite sure about the Wal mart part as I do not shop there.

I've had this happen to me at Target last year. Went to buy B330-RX, checked the box and it was full of cheap topflight sleeves. I found a box that was good to buy and I took the bad box to the front of the store and told the manager.
I'm not sure if you posted that prior, but I definitely remember hearing/reading about this practice somewhere; and now I never buy a box without opening and checking it first.

At my local a Target, the B330-RX balls have a security cord wrapped around them like a gift bow. Guess they learned the hard way.

At Target we always wrap the golfballs, now I know the reason why. I always just thought it was for the same reason we did it to everything else in the store, just a high price easily stolen item.

I was at a local 2nd hand shop, was surprised to see them selling boxes of golf balls (didn't know new or used) but almost went for a both of TaylorMade Lethals, almost pulled the trigger on them until I opened them. 4 sleeves of TM Burners. Oops.

I avoid this whole scam by just buying the cheap balls anyway, lol.

Yep I first caught wind of this a couple years ago at a local Walmart when they were the only ones around that still had the TaylorMade TP Reds, for $21. The cashier actually looked at each box I was buying.

I bought a sleeve of TP5S at Walmart a few weeks ago. Never could I find the box. Searched everywhere. The Sporting Goods manager sold it to me for 4 dollars.

Last week I went back to buy some Super Soft and there is a Box of TP5s...only 3 sleeves in it. Talked to the same manager said they found it hidden in the camping stuff. Sold me the other 3 sleeves at the 4 dollar price.

He said it's really common for people to switch the balls out and always open the box.

Back