400 yards... with Driver? Piece of Cake

malemotives

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 17.4
Rory did it. So did Bubba. So... when I went out on the course yesterday, with my golf instructor and he asked me what I felt I have improve the most, I replied, "My driver"; I've learn to hit it long, straight... and well over 350-400 yards, any time I want. Not surprisingly, he asked me to demonstrate. So... we came to the 518 yard Par 5 4th hole and it was time to put up or shut up. Getting a good left hand grip, with my knuckles pointing up, I settled my right in place and took a practice swing. Then I approached the ball and took a slightly closed swing, to accommodate the dogleg left with a good draw. Taking the club back and turning my left shoulder in, as my left knee cocked, I started my downswing, with my hands slightly ahead of the clubface to get good compression on the ball, and.... WHACK! Solid hit right on the sweet spot. Didn't get the draw, but I did manage to cut the corner and take yards off that dogleg. Walking to my ball, laying a foot inside the right edge of the fairway, we measured it at exactly 249 yards. My instructor smiled and said, "Good drive. Not close to the 350 or 400 you claimed, but still a good hit with your driver." I looked at him and smiled.... driver still in hand, I addressed my ball and..... whack, 178 yard, off the deck with driver. So, I'm laying there, with only a lob wedge needed to get the last 81 yard to the green. I looked at my instructor and said.... "Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't 249 + 178 equal 427 yards? I didn't say I could do it in just one shot with the driver.... I said I'd do it using my driver. Hope y'all have a great day.

Lol this was a good read. Few sentences in I almost left thinking Ok obviously this guy is full of sh!t haha but funny stuff, i still could never hit driver from the deck tho

I needed this today! Thank you for the laugh, I might have to try this with a few friends next time we are out.

Hahaha this is great! "Time to put up or shut up"

The buildup was great, almost thought you crushed one for a second. Thanks for the laughs today.

Very funny

I was thinking #InternetGolfer at first! Good stuff.

Same thought here........Good story none the less. No drivers off the deck for me. Been there, done that and the results were not good.

Saw the same idea on a Swing by Swing video in their regular email. It got my attention, pretty funny.

Sneaky....you should have bet some free lessons on it

Ok, Lol. Didn't see that one coming. At first I thought I was reading some crazy internet golfer story, but then the twist, oh so magical.

Good story.

~Rock

Sneaky....you should have bet some free lessons on it

My grandpa used to pull a sucker bet on people when he was warming up before league night at the bowling alley.... he would tell somebody "Ill bet you $20 that I get more pins with my ball than you do right now"... he would then throw his ball toward the gutter, knock down 3 or so pins, and say "Wanna go double or nothing?"... every time the sucker would say "You're on" and proceed to roll their ball and knock down more pins. Then the sucker would turn to grandpa and say "I beat you, pay up"... to which my grandpa would reply "No, you pay up...I said with MY BALL, you used your ball"

Bubba hit one 400+ yards recently, which another pro hit it 280. Bubba got a bogey, the other golfer a birdie. Distance is somewhat overrated.

Nice story! I need to tell my father-in-law about this; he hits his driver off the deck all the time - he's 72 now & has lost diestance so he feels he has to do this. He has great hand-eye coordination & pulls it off pretty well. Me? I have trouble enough with a 3 wood lol!

Bubba hit one 400+ yards recently, which another pro hit it 280. Bubba got a bogey, the other golfer a birdie. Distance is somewhat overrated.

I agree, and tend to believe that course management is much more important than distance.

I was ready to read a tall tale. Fun twist.

Back