Electronics Pondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Between school needs and traveling becoming more frequent, I'm thinking mirrorless camera may be in order.

Any recommendations below $600?

Between school needs and traveling becoming more frequent, I'm thinking mirrorless camera may be in order.

Any recommendations below $600?

The original Nikon V1 should be able to be had for well below that now.

The original Nikon V1 should be able to be had for well below that now.

Would I be missing out on anything by going with a model 2-3 years old?

I've heard great things about the Olympus Pen series in relation to value for money.

I've heard great things about the Olympus Pen series in relation to value for money.

Hard to say. Some of the newer models have increased a bit of the tech. However we are still using the Nikon V1, which is a step up from the J1 in that it has a better housing a mic out.

Hard to say. Some of the newer models have increased a bit of the tech. However we are still using the Nikon V1, which is a step up from the J1 in that it has a better housing a mic out.

I'll have to look into it and see what I can find deal wise then. Thanks JB.

I finally got a surface pro 3. I am loving it so far.

I've got an Olympus E-PL1 that I love. Some of the other brands (the Sonys are awesome) have a larger sensor, but less lens choices.

The hard ponder on a computer build continues.. I need to weigh the costs and decide whether it's worth taking the risk on building and messing something up haha!

Maybe it'll be a fun winter project.

The hard ponder on a computer build continues.. I need to weigh the costs and decide whether it's worth taking the risk on building and messing something up haha!

I still have a Dell desktop from 2002. Granted its just a shell of its self now, but it is beastly

Dude, Matt built one last winter. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to discuss it with you.

They are really not hard to build and its almost always cheaper to build one. I've built mine and two workstations over the past few years. Its basically Lego for adults.

hahaha lego for adults, that's awesome!! I do think it'd be quite a bit of fun.

Ryan - You would.

Kevin - Sounds like great fun. Golf and computer building.

I've built a few as well. It ends up being pretty easy and there a ton of guides online. To be honest, working on clubs is tougher in my opinion.

Matt had assistance from some of Lee's colleagues at work. Let's just say his machine is a crazy fast gaming machine.

Lee and I paid half lol. Total I believe it ended up being right around a grand. But I'm not totally sure. Nor do I really want to know lol. It was a good learning experience for him

Correction Matt said 1500

I sort of built mine from parts that I picked up on sale over time. I think I came in at less than $1K easily, but used a monitor I already had, and a case I got from a friend. It was sort of the computer equivalent of putting together a golf bag through the marketplace here.

Kevin that thing must be a BEAST. I'm probably going to try to hover at or a little above 1k when all is said and done.

Petey, what kind of specs are in there?

Mines now 4 or 5 years old but I would put it in the "midrange" category for when it was built - could play games smoothly but not maxed out. Got a really good deal on the processor on newegg so that was probably on the higher side. Disk was recently upgraded to a SSD and 1TB drive combo.

I built my current pc after my freshman year of college and upgraded it over the past few years. I overclocked the processor, gpu and ram as well. Currently it has an i5 2500k OC'd to 4.5GHz, 16 gigs of ram, a GTX780 Ti that I still haven't hit the clock limit on, a ssd and two hdds.

The workstations were similar setups but instead of the i5's they have sandybridge E, quadro 4000 cards and 32 gigs of ram.

For the most part the hardest part is picking the components you want because there are so many options and maybe installing the cpu and heatsink since you need to add thermal paste if you go with an aftermarket cooler. Otherwise components just essentially click together.

The fun thing with computers is it becomes an obsession like golf, from upgrading to bench marking, there is a list of upgrades I want to do eventually.

The new MBP handles the video 11x faster than the Air did. Not too shabby. Ironically enough, still not as fast as the Samsung does, but handles the format I need natively without conversion.
Did you ever do any remote computing (like Citrix, Telnet, etc) with the MBA where the computing was offloaded to a remote server? I'm tired of lugging around my 'official' laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back