The Official Tiger Woods Thread

I think the GC coverage was magnified because they already had some legitimate Tiger stories ready. The Tiger vs. Bob May at Valhalla is a really great story, and was worth telling. However, the added drama of Tiger's injury, etc. put everything into another gear.

The guy is a champion and his prime years are better than any years Rory will have.

This might be a little stretch....I love Tiger and love what he has done for the game. I have watched him my whole life and still love watching him. He is far more entertaining to watch than 95% of the tour IMO.

But.....

A hot Rory is unbeatable. I will be blasted for this but I think a hot Rory could beat Tiger in his prime. When Rory starts firing on all cylinders, he doesn't miss. The only problem is can he stay hot for 4 straight rounds to beat prime Tiger?

See this I agree with.
It is their choice and not considered "news".
But could you imagine sitting down to watch SportsCenter on ESPN and they decided that the only thing they would show or discuss is the Yankees? I mean they are a favorite, biggest in the sport, etc.

As a Boston fan that would suck but that's for another thread. I totally see what you're say and agree. How do we as viewers change this type of coverage? Is there a way or do we just except it and move on? Do you think it's driving people away from the game or the tele?

The TV networks have sophisticated analytics. They don't do much, if anything without a purpose. Their data obviously shows that Tiger coverage draws more eyes. Core golf fans will watch anyway, they want to catch other eyeballs. More viewers means more $ they can demand for ad space.

The TV networks have sophisticated analytics. They don't do much, if anything without a purpose. Their data obviously shows that Tiger coverage draws more eyes. Core golf fans will watch anyway, they want to catch other eyeballs. More viewers means more $ they can demand for ad space.

This is right on the money. I think the core golf fans are the ones complaining because they actually want to see golf and more diverse news on the Tournament and it's players that may actually contend.

At this point I am surprised they don't have people analyzing what Tiger ate for breakfast today

See this I agree with.
It is their choice and not considered "news".
But could you imagine sitting down to watch SportsCenter on ESPN and they decided that the only thing they would show or discuss is the Yankees? I mean they are a favorite, biggest in the sport, etc.

Change the channel?

+2 through 6

At this point I am surprised they don't have people analyzing what Tiger ate for breakfast today

Nobody, I repeat, nobody has eaten breakfast with the skill and finesse demonstrated by Tiger Woods -- and nobody ever will. His breakfast preparation and consumption techniques cannot be over-covered. You are just a hater if you don't want to see Tiger Woods eat breakfast and learn all about it.

:egyptian:

+3 thru 14

How can anybody know that?
We can't know it but the probabilities favor that conclusion. Tiger is the best player in an entire generation, at least the second best ever. It is very much more likely that Rory is culpable of a great career that doesn't reach the Tiger/Jack level. Heck, Hogan and Player have 9 majors each. Getting to that number or double digits would be historic. Obviously he's young and extremely talented, so you never know.

After playing a very painful round (walking up and down mini mountains) here in Brazil we were sitting at the bar and even with my non existent Portuguese skills the only thing being talked about was Tiger.

These folks are avid Hackers and it shows the reach of the guy. Good or bad he is the talk of golfers everywhere and for the most part everyone (here) wants to see he do well, it was his ability to hit that impossible shot and make the clutch putt that inspired a lot of us to play the game.

Now that he appears human IMO it makes him even more interesting to see if he can pull out some more wins with a bad back, bad knees and getting old just like the rest of us.

Presented without comment, from Sports Business Daily (https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2014/08/04/Research-and-Ratings/Overnights.aspx):
CBS earned a 3.0 overnight rating for the final of the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational yesterday, which saw Rory McIlroy hold off Sergio Garcia by two strokes. That figure is down 23% from last year’s final round, which saw Tiger Woods win the event by seven strokes.

Chamblee and Nobilo almost came to blows talking about Tiger's shaft lean tonight. It was hilarious.

Chamblee and Nobilo almost came to blows talking about Tiger's shaft lean tonight. It was hilarious.
I thought it was interesting. Nobilo believes Tiger is injured, Chamblee thinks Tiger's swing is effed up (and that is contributing to his back injury). I thought Chamblee was saying a lot of things that made sense.

I thought it was interesting. Nobilo believes Tiger is injured, Chamblee thinks Tiger's swing is effed up (and that is contributing to his back injury). I thought Chamblee was saying a lot of things that made sense.
I think Nobilo is tired of Chamblee taking shots at Foley.

And Notah, predictably, defended Tiger.

Did Chamblee give his swing an F :)

Back