Rory's Major Potential

I don't think I have thrown a number on it yet. I will be the first one to say it.

An even 20. Augusta will happen sooner or later. He will chew up US Open and PGA Championship courses for the rest of his career.

I don't think I have thrown a number on it yet. I will be the first one to say it.

An even 20. Augusta will happen sooner or later. He will chew up US Open and PGA Championship courses for the rest of his career.

I really hope it doesn't become the one that he tries too hard for, yet never gets. Similar to Phil and the US Open.

I don't think it will happen, but at the same time, wouldn't be surprised.

I don't know why so many are quick to say he doesn't compare to Tiger.

Rory may not have the short game that Tiger did, but Tiger didn't have a short iron in hand on almost every single par 4 either...

Rory averages well over 300 and he's ACCURATE with the Driver, that is what has made him so untouchable in the last month and if he can keep that up who's to say he doesn't become as dominant as Tiger used to be?

Different games and different strengths but each has it's advantage... Tiger was probably the best scrambler we've maybe ever seen, Rory might well be the most accurate long ball hitter we've ever seen.

There's no question that Tiger has pulled some shots out of his @#$ around the green, but I think his erratic tee game down the stretch and necessity to hit that stinger and play long into greens is where Rory gets the nod. Also, I don't know that Rory is as creative as Tiger was around the greens, but his bunker play seems quite strong.

This is exactly what I think. If his body can hold up, the limit is quite high. At first I thought it was a pretty simple swing, but boy, looking at that hip action, and I say this with only light research and knowledge of kinesiology and body physics, it looks like major back problems just biding their time.

That being said, I have yet to see Rory win with his B game. If he can win doing that, constantly scrambling to score, then I'd lock him in for double digits.

That was bouncing around my head as well, as many of his big wins come with solid separation, however I think yesterday was a nice reminder that he can win big with guys nipping at his heels, and when he wants to take over a tournament, he can.

That's the crazy thing about majors.. They come and go so quickly, maybe it's not so much about winning with the B game, just peaking at the right time.

There's no question that Tiger has pulled some shots out of his @#$ around the green, but I think his erratic tee game down the stretch and necessity to hit that stinger and play long into greens is where Rory gets the nod. Also, I don't know that Rory is as creative as Tiger was around the greens, but his bunker play seems quite strong.
Thus far he hasn't shown the necessity to be as creative due to his accuracy and pin hunting ability. One thing I haven't seen in this thread yet is mention of how high he hits his irons and how soft they normally land.

the kid is simply unstoppable right now.
he crushes the ball further than anyone and he knows how to play smart golf and when to attack.

here's a few tips:
stay away from women.
and don't change your swing.

follow those 2 pieces of advice and he'll get to 10 easy.
depending on how quickly he gets to 10, then we'll start talking about what happens next.

I don't get the relationship thing being the huge area of concern. Rory seems way more mature and emotionally stable than Tiger and Tiger was still able to maintain appropriate focus on the golf game even while pretty much living a lie and leading a very "full" off course life.

the kid is simply unstoppable right now.
he crushes the ball further than anyone and he knows how to play smart golf and when to attack.

here's a few tips:
stay away from women.
and don't change your swing.

follow those 2 pieces of advice and he'll get to 10 easy.
depending on how quickly he gets to 10, then we'll start talking about what happens next.

I've always been told that when trying to complete a long term goal, "it's hard to complete anything once you've tasted lipstick and gasoline."

I think Rory will live his life, which is fine. He doesn't need to earn anymore money. He needs to be happy, if he's happy then he will win.

I think right now as the professional golf landscape currently sits, Rory can get seriously close to Tiger's 14, bit I think Jack's 18 are safe.

If he stays healthy I can see maybe a major year for the next 10. I think he will have competition & multiple majors will be tough, but not out of the question.

Not sure why his amount of lifting has any bearing on his longevity. If anything it helps him more. And now we are discounting his wins because of the course. And now he's getting lucky. I guess I see his game differently. He hits it long and straight every course in all conditions sets up for him

Not exactly what meant Freddie, and I apologize if I wasn't clear. Fitness is a big component in the length and ability to power balls out of thick rough these guys have. All I am saying is that some guys ( see Tiger ) get caught up in the training and get to thinking more is better and over train, which WILL lead to injuries, it's just a matter of time. I was a personal trainer in my younger days and this happens quite often. Not saying it will with Rory - I think he is smarter than that. I am curious though to see how a lot of these x-factor type swings hold up over the long haul. And I think the only courses he will have a bit of trouble with are ones that tend to be windy - but that is in no way saying he can't win in those type conditions. He is going to be the favorite every time he tees it up, and that is the bottom line. He has all the physical ability and mental acumen to dominate golf for at least the next 7 - 10 years I believe. And I did not mean to imply the reason he won was because he was lucky. I'd bet that every major winner can point to a time or two where they got an unexpected break.

All that aside, to me, he is clearly the most talented player out there now, and he is probably the only one that can stop himself.

I've always been told that when trying to complete a long term goal, "it's hard to complete anything once you've tasted lipstick and gasoline."

I think Rory will live his life, which is fine. He doesn't need to earn anymore money. He needs to be happy, if he's happy then he will win.

i like that quote.

even tho he's been around and winning for some time, right now...he's the new face of golf. he has everything the media wants and everything the PGA tour needs.

Not sure why his amount of lifting has any bearing on his longevity. If anything it helps him more. And now we are discounting his wins because of the course. And now he's getting lucky. I guess I see his game differently. He hits it long and straight every course in all conditions sets up for him

Agreed. There were probably people telling Gary Player not to work out so much back in the day! Doesn't seem to have slowed him down - it might even prolong Rory's career as well.

I'm going to say 11 but after that who knows. I think it's going to be dependant on his health and his personal life. It will be interesting to see how he plays once he is married and has a kid or two.

I'm gonna say at least 8 is a lock, with the potential for quite a bit more.

Sort of related - I find it interesting that 3 of 4 of Rory's majors have been won on courses that played significantly sofer than expected. Congressional was waterlogged, Hoylake was soft enough that it didn't play with the typical crazy bounces of links-y golf, and Valhalla was just like Congressional. Obviously it plays into Rory's style of play - high and long - but it also makes it easier for everybody. Just interesting to note. I know everytime I see a soft course, I expect to see Rory light it up.

I was big on the Rory becoming the next Tiger after the 2012 PGA championship in Kiawah. Rory had an off year in 2013, could have been the equipment change, either way he wasn't playing great. Rory is now on an incredible streak and has the chance to complete his own tiger slam. This is something not many thought would ever be duplicated.

Put me down for the 10-12 range. He has already had a slump during his time as being in a "power couple" relationship, would have to imagine that he will be in that situation again sometime in the future and it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Either way I am glad the next dominate player if a very likable person from everything I have seen.

Agreed. There were probably people telling Gary Player not to work out so much back in the day! Doesn't seem to have slowed him down - it might even prolong Rory's career as well.

Again, that isn't what I said - at all. If you work out the right way, with plenty of time for recuperation, you are gold. It should prolong everyone's career. Gary Player is one of my all time favorites - hell, I started lifting playing baseball in the late 70's because of him - and few baseball players were lifting seriously back then. I am just simply saying that there are guys who get so caught up in how they look, trying to compare workouts to others etc, that they lose focus on the reason they are doing what they do. I do not see this happening with Rory.

I think he could do 10+ and maybe push to unseat Jack & Tiger. I believe he has the talent. He can be streaky but when he's on, he's damn good. With golf, you just never know. 6 years ago i'd never guessed that Tiger wouldn't have already overtaken Jack in major titles.

Rory's management team needs to keep him out of The Waffle House. Didn't Rory's recent run start shortly after he split from his tennis star girlfriend?

Another stat or two to consider:

Rory is only the 18th person to win 2 or more majors in the same year (it's been done 30 times: Nicklaus did it 5 times, Woods & Hogan 3 times, & Bobby Jones, Palmer, Tom Watson, & Gene Sarazan did it twice).

Rory is (I think) the 4th-youngest of this group of multiple major-winners in a year: behind Jack, Tiger, & Bobby Jones. Pretty rare company

I am going to say 10 as well and not sure I would go higher. So many good golfers will be gunning for the majors, coupled with how his health holds up and his motivation. Not suggesting that his motivation is lacking, but unlike Tiger - I have never heard him saying that Jack's record is a goal of his. So will the motivation be there 6-7 years from now? I think so, just difficult to forecast.

While it is noticable that most of his majors were won on soft courses I don't think he needs that. With those drives and the absurd height he hits his irons he can absolutely dominate a dry hard course.

The big thing in my opinion is wind. I believe he has some problems playing lower shots so wind for now is the biggest obstacle for him because he hits it so high.

I don't see why he couldn't get to 10 at least. He still has another 15 years (more or less) of prime golfing in his career. AND that's saying once he turns 40 his odds start to diminish, which may or may not happen. So do win another 6 Majors over the next 15 years seems pretty logical, if not maybe under guessing.

Check out this sports science on Rory's swing. Just ... wow.

It all depends on if his mind stays where it is and how healthy he can stay. He's got the potential to win as many as he wants right now. I still think it's too early to really judge. Watson never won another major after 34 and he was pretty darn good. I'm going to play the waiting game and see how Rory matures.

Back