Callaway Big Bertha Driver Review

It will be mike.

That combo I referred to above also includes the shaft, the head and none other than our own Jman doing the testing, he is one of my go to buddies for equipment thoughts.

Hahaha, don't say that too loudly, some would have you stoned. :alien:

You're too kind my friend, and I'm massively excited to get you guys some thoughts.

What flex? I'm a dummy with swing weight and just go with that I like in terms or flex and shaft weight, but what SW are you trying to get to?

F4T is basically S+ flex, I'd like to get it to at least a D3, I just need to do some measuring and weighing this evening, I think its extremely close already.

So so intrigued by this shaft James. May need to give it a go in Palm Beach buddy

It'll be there!

I haven't gone through and read all 50 pages in this thread but I have a question for the Big Bertha fans. How does the regular Big Bertha compare to the Alpha?

I currently have the Alpha but we've had a bit of a love/hate relationship. I went through a driver fitting last week and the fitter suggested I move to the regular Big Bertha as it's slightly more forgiving. He also suggested I go with the lighter 50g shaft in the regular Big Bertha vs. the 65g shaft in the Alpha.

Would love some thoughts from those who have played both?

Higher spin, more lateral forgiveness, and higher launching.

I haven't gone through and read all 50 pages in this thread but I have a question for the Big Bertha fans. How does the regular Big Bertha compare to the Alpha?

I currently have the Alpha but we've had a bit of a love/hate relationship. I went through a driver fitting last week and the fitter suggested I move to the regular Big Bertha as it's slightly more forgiving. He also suggested I go with the lighter 50g shaft in the regular Big Bertha vs. the 65g shaft in the Alpha.

Would love some thoughts from those who have played both?

I've had both and just switched from the Alpha to the Bertha. My fitter recommended I change because I need lateral weighting help vs vertical. I needed help from going left, not spin changes. I went with a heavier shaft, moved the weight all the way to the toe and now I'm hitting straighter and just as far. I hit 8 of 12 fairways today where I used the Bertha- 2 of the misses were into the rough by two feet. So much better for me.

Spent a lot of time on the range with the Bertha today. Original settings were +1 (so 11.5), neutral and it set to 2 on the draw side. I was hitting it straight with a 5 yard draw...

However I felt like I was losing distance on it and felt it wasn't going high enough.

I then switched it to the neutral setting on the sliding weight and it went slightly higher. Bit more distance.

At that point I went ahead and set the hosel at +2 neutral and was hitting high straight bombs. Found my setting! Can't wait to get it on the course!

I have one MAJOR problem with this driver. I pretty much hit it where I'm aiming, but at my most frequently visited course, my distance jump has been so drastic that I'm slamming it through the fairway on dogleg right holes now I have 2 less holes to hit driver on :(

(I consider this a good problem lol)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Still in love with Bertha. So dang forgiving and long. She makes my game a lot better

Still in love with Bertha. So dang forgiving and long. She makes my game a lot better

She puts me in places on the course I never thought was possible. So much fun to tee off.

I want to track down a bright blue uDesign, that would be siiiiiiiiiiick.

I actually wanted a green alpha pretty badly when they were on sale. Some of the Udesign colors did look awesome that's for sure.

Part of me wants to rock the gold color one.

Callaway Big Bertha Driver Review

I love me some bright blue.

I actually didn't even know they did that and I was wondering why it was a different color. Thought it was a ladies or something til I looked Online. I love the orange. Fits with my orange and black theme (bag, golf pride ndmc grips, apparel, etc) which I get
From my love of the Philadelphia flyers!

Last edited:
If I hit it as consistent as I did in Myrtle I might :)
I played a few holes with you, you were consistent....I should of tried that driver lol

And the battle is won between Bertha and the Bio.

Now, I know that absolutely NOTHING remains the same in my world for long, but I have made it a point to want to find a setup that I can go back to during testing/reviewing at all times without even batting an eye and be happy. I'm convinced its Bertha now.

The Elements Chrome pairing was exactly like I expected it to be for me today, that shaft is legit with the recoil tech and what it can do for energy transfer, I just really believe that having now used it and tracked it in two different driver heads. But the Bertha head is best for what I want, forgiveness and spin are pretty much neck and neck in it and the Bio but the Bertha sounds better, is a little more shallow to my eye (which I enjoy), launches a little better for me, and is a bit longer. Not to mention, the sliding weight WORKS on it, unlike the SLDR (that's science, not just me saying things).

I heart Bertha.

And the battle is won between Bertha and the Bio.

Now, I know that absolutely NOTHING remains the same in my world for long, but I have made it a point to want to find a setup that I can go back to during testing/reviewing at all times without even batting an eye and be happy. I'm convinced its Bertha now.

The Elements Chrome pairing was exactly like I expected it to be for me today, that shaft is legit with the recoil tech and what it can do for energy transfer, I just really believe that having now used it and tracked it in two different driver heads. But the Bertha head is best for what I want, forgiveness and spin are pretty much neck and neck in it and the Bio but the Bertha sounds better, is a little more shallow to my eye (which I enjoy), launches a little better for me, and is a bit longer. Not to mention, the sliding weight WORKS on it, unlike the SLDR (that's science, not just me saying things).

I heart Bertha.
Awesome thoughts dude, glad you have something that is working and you're super comfortable with. As much testing as you do it's nice to have a default to go back to haha

Awesome thoughts dude, glad you have something that is working and you're super comfortable with. As much testing as you do it's nice to have a default to go back to haha

I've honestly never had one, and that has been a big personal issue of mine. I want something that between reviews or whatever I can put in the bag and have total comfort and confidence in, I honestly think Bertha gives me that.

I've honestly never had one, and that has been a big personal issue of mine. I want something that between reviews or whatever I can put in the bag and have total comfort and confidence in, I honestly think Bertha gives me that.
Absolutely nothing like having a big stick that you can step up and feel comfortable with imo. Bertha is just fantastic no doubt about it

Oh how I love my Bertha right now. The XCG6 is giving it a run for its money, as I'm hammering both of them right now, but if I had to pick one to go out and play a tournament with, it would be Bertha without question. Just so much forgiveness, and the sound and feel are unmatched in drivers right now, except maybe by the Alpha.

How does the Chrome shaft compare to the stock shaft?

Two different beasts really, not really an apples to apples comparison IMO.

That said, I was a big fan of the stock pairing, used it when I was writing the review on it, I've seen it work extremely well for a LOT of golfers. I just need something a little bit different for my swing.

Two different beasts really, not really an apples to apples comparison IMO.

That said, I was a big fan of the stock pairing, used it when I was writing the review on it, I've seen it work extremely well for a LOT of golfers. I just need something a little bit different for my swing.

My SS is 105 - 110 with a quick tempo and moderately late release. With the stock stiff shaft my launch angle had been 14 - 17 with ball spin 3200 - 3400. Looking to lower the ball flight a little and reduce spin by a good amount. Could this shaft be a possible option?

Back