Panda Tip: The power of the turn

Driving the right knee toward the ball in sync with the rest swing and really make a powerful move through the impact zone.

Great tip, the one or two I block right per round are usually due to trying to slide versus the turn you mention.

Driving the right knee toward the ball in sync with the rest swing and really make a powerful move through the impact zone.
This is the real deal! Panda has said it to many times already. Listen to that advice. It also helped me eliminate the dreaded high block fade I despise.

Thank you for the Panda Tip!

I've always been an upper body player, in that my lower body's only role during the swing was to provide a stable base. I started trying to incorporate my lower body at the begining of the year resulting in a skyrocketing h/c. Both this tip and the firing your right knee toward the ball have really helped me feel what a hip turn should feel like. Now if the "mirror time" just translates to the course.

Freddie - you and I have spoken about Haney's "transfer the weight from the inside of the right foot to the toes of the left" idea and what that actually means. I think I figured it out. It's pushing off of the right foot and turning the left hip out. Not push off, then turn the left hip. It's a single movement, not two distinct movements.
As I have found out the hard way, hip turn then pushing off doesn't work well either. Man, I need to buy some rhythm.

Over thre years I've run into a great many swings. One of the most common mistakes is the 'slide' through impact. And the slide is one of the deaths of any golf swing.

For years I think people have read too much into this bump left that pros spoke about as a good way to transition. Well the bump is from the left hip clearing to allow room for the as to swing through the zone.

As the best golfers in the world start their down swing, they drive off the inside of the right foot. As this is happening the left hip is rotating away from the ball ( like someone is tugging on your belt loop). The fact that the left hip can't just move back off the line there is an ever so slight move toward the target. But the hip doesn't cross that line created from the back of the left heal to the sky. Any movement is caused by the hips clearing.

Take a look at Jason Day from yesterday's round at the PGA Championship. He turns through the zone by clearing the hips and operating behind the ball. All of power he stored on the back swing is released with the turn on the down swing. If he slid through he would have to bring arms and hands into the play, maybe chicken wing the left arm and definitely would loose a ton of power

http://youtu.be/x-AX63B2AIsbmmm

So work on that turn through the ball for power and consistency.
Been struggling just a bit lately. Just went out and applied this tip, as you said in another post making divot paths on edge of fairway. Turning and keeping it behind the ball. WOW. What a difference. Thanks. Only practiced with 9 iron tonight. Will work on longer clubs later this week.

Been struggling just a bit lately. Just went out and applied this tip, as you said in another post making divot paths on edge of fairway. Turning and keeping it behind the ball. WOW. What a difference. Thanks. Only practiced with 9 iron tonight. Will work on longer clubs later this week.

Haha, good form sir

I keep seeing, "driving the right knee"... when do you start that move?

So I finally got the the range to work on this since I have been going over it in my head all week. I found that when I concentrated on pushing off the back leg that I had a hard time staying down. So I switched to trying to clear my front hip and I really feel like it helped. I was at the range but it felt like I picked up some speed and distance and more importantly it seems to be making better contact. More consistent.

I adjusted some weight in the alpha and my draw hook went bye bye as well. Really looking forward to seeing this in action Saturday on the course.

Thanks again Freddie!

The push off the back foot is something that takes time to learn. I have issues at times but I know I have to stay with it if I'm going to groove completely

Practiced this some today as well, unfortunately only with birdie balls. But, I was getting a nice consistent hit and divot, most of the time. The biggest thing I noticed was that my divots were going straight at the target, usually are left of target a little from OTT. Really want to hit some balls with it. It was a little funky some times, but it was the first time focusing on the back foot. Super intrigued.

The push off the back foot is something that takes time to learn. I have issues at times but I know I have to stay with it if I'm going to groove completely

I trigger my backswing with a feeling of my weight going to the inside of my right foot under the arch. It feels like I roll it inside a bit, but I don't know that it really moves, it's just a feel.

Do you think this is an OK thought/feel? And then as the downswing begins, I'm pushing off from the inside of my right foot as my left hip turns back to get my weight mostly on my front (left) leg, which will straighten up through impact. Yes?

Thanks Panda! Keep these coming please

Problem I always have outside of drills is that I push from the right foot and my top half goes with my lower half. I can do it in drills and it's gotten better than it was about 6 months ago, but my upper half just wants to travel towards the target. So frustrating.

Freddie, I love you man. Was able to take this to the range today on lunch. Boy am I excite about what I saw. Focused on the backswing on a better shoulder turn to get behind the ball and load my right foot; two things I realized I'm not doing normally. Then starting the downswing by pushing with the right foot and the knee towards the ball; oh baby. I was getting cleaner contact and better flight. The ball seemed to be launching higher and still carrying a great flight with no ballooning, across the whole bag. I was concerned about it going into the driver, no issue. Seemed to carry higher and farther. The balls were screaming off my 3W and driver. I had some chunky shots, which I just attributed to trying something new. Also didn't help that the range turf was awful; basically just the divot repair mixture with flat grass on top. But still, it was only just a couple of those.

Not to interfere with the panda's work. But for all you baseball players. I think about how a pitcher uses his bag leg for power. It's a little different sure, but conceptually it makes sense IMO

Back