My girlfriend bought clubs...

ImaBeRealReal

Reaction score
Handicap
Above Par
Since we moved in together a couple years ago she's always wanted to learn to play but never actually went after that goal. Well now she's purchased clubs and wants to learn the game.... Obviously there will be a difference in skill set between someone that has played on and off for 10 years and herself. What is the best way to go about getting her on a level in which we can both enjoy the game together without wanting to pull my hair out? I have terrible patience... To the point thatch have a music education background and work in insurance because I just don't have the patience to teach anything to anyone.

You might have to work on the patience part. But its great that she wants to take up the sport to spend some time with you. Just ry and make it fun and dont let her get discouraged. Dont event keep score and just pick her ball up when its been enough on one hole. baby steps and just praise the few good shots she will hit early on.

Get her some lessons. And even better, see if a local course has weekend group lessons. When I was first learning golf, our local course offered a women's clinic every Saturday morning for an hour. It was $10 and we got a good amount of one-on-one time. In addition to that Josh got me a set of lessons. It gave me enough ability to at least go out there and play 9 holes with him at the beginning. Plus, she might find some other females to play golf with, which will definitely help her golf game since she will be getting so much practice in.

You might have to work on the patience part. But its great that she wants to take up the sport to spend some time with you. Just ry and make it fun and dont let her get discouraged. Dont event keep score and just pick her ball up when its been enough on one hole. baby steps and just praise the few good shots she will hit early on.

This is really good advice too, I second all of it. Oh, and make sure you explain etiquette to her.

Don't golf with her.

Get her a lesson package and find a nice women's league. But if you're going to have a hard time playing a round with her while she learns, it's best you stay away from the same course she is on, for a few years.

Since we moved in together a couple years ago she's always wanted to learn to play but never actually went after that goal. Well now she's purchased clubs and wants to learn the game.... Obviously there will be a difference in skill set between someone that has played on and off for 10 years and herself. What is the best way to go about getting her on a level in which we can both enjoy the game together without wanting to pull my hair out? I have terrible patience... To the point thatch have a music education background and work in insurance because I just don't have the patience to teach anything to anyone.

You could get her lessons if she wants them. That will save you the frustration.

With Nerfny, I bought her a cheap set of irons, a driver and putter. We went to the range 3-4 times a week starting in May and then when we got to the end of summer we found some par 3 courses for her to play. I helped her with basics, and then just kind of let her athleticism take over from there.

what about you offer her a lesson package and let your local pro help her?

consider yourself lucky, I'd love if my S.O. wanted to try the game instead of despising it

You could get her lessons if she wants them. That will save you the frustration.

With Nerfny, I bought her a cheap set of irons, a driver and putter. We went to the range 3-4 times a week starting in May and then when we got to the end of summer we found some par 3 courses for her to play. I helped her with basics, and then just kind of let her athleticism take over from there.

Oh, Par 3 courses is another great idea. We did that a lot when I first started out.

Oh, Par 3 courses is another great idea. We did that a lot when I first started out.

yup. We hit balls on the range for maybe 3 months before we went out on a course. And when we went out on the course it was late at night so there wasn't a lot of people. We also tried to make those nights in to mini date nights. We'd stop and get ice cream or something after. It also helped that her first time out, she chipped in. So instantly she had one of those great moments that made her enjoy the game.

Definitely like others said BE PATIENT!! I don't care if you don't have patience with other things haha you have to with golf. You certainly don't want her to get upset and not enjoy playing, it takes time as you know because you were there at one point. Check into lessons for her and then you can help her practice and remember the stuff she's been taught. It'll be a blast but just give it time and have fun! I've helped a couple of women including my mom haha and trust me you just want them to enjoy themselves while learning at the same time. Best of luck, I think it's awesome she's wanting to play

This is really good advice too, I second all of it. Oh, and make sure you explain etiquette to her.

+1 to the etiquette part. Seeing as you have self admitted patience issues this might drive you crazy if she walka ll over your lines or trying to talk in you back swings. I can picture it now and it isnt a pretty sight haha

I second the par 3 courses. They are usually relaxed, cheaper, not crowded, and are less frustrating. You don't get to hit the long ball, but it is a great way to pick up the game!

Don't worry about the skill difference, I'm sure you're better than her at other things!

Haha, only joking! Congrats on getting her into golf, my girlfriend doesn't want to know!

Start slow and don't let her get discouraged. I got my wife started right before she got pregnant with our first son. She just played her first round on fathers day with me and had a blast. Always fun to get out together on the course.

Gotta agree with the lessons part. Have someone else teach her the basics.
Par 3 courses are a really good idea, too.
My GF and I played 7 holes in 2.5 hrs last weekend. She got frustrated, I was a little impatient (which did not help anything), but she beat me on a hole and she parred a 3 par hole - Now she is fired up to get back to lessons and to the range!
I am excited for her to want to play, even if it isn't with me!

Maybe to ease any possible intimidation on her part find a ladies clinic, my instructor and another one where I go do them and the intimidation factor goes away pretty quick. +1 on make sure its fun for her and also work on your patience.

If she takes lessons do range sessions in between together and don't make it about just beating balls but have some fun.

Has anyone looked into the "get golf ready" 5 lesson package advertised during Pga broadcasts?

I definitely suggest the par 3 course as a starting point other than the range. My wife just got into golf and she had way more fun on the par 3 as apposed to our regular course.

Also congratulate her on her good shots and keep it positive on her bad ones. It will be hard but I wouldn't try to coach her on anything UNLESS she asks for it. If she is up for real lessons that would be awesome too.

Good luck

Has anyone looked into the "get golf ready" 5 lesson package advertised during Pga broadcasts?
Yeah, those are the lessons my gf took. At a course near her, with two of her friends.
She liked it, and they have a series of lessons for beginners and women. Great marketing plan for new golfers, IMHO.

I agree get he a pack of lessons my course has a all woman lesson so that they do not have to compare against the guys
also remember to keep your cool your frustration will make her get angry

Morning Drive did a few segments on this as one of their producers was doing them with his wife. She had already been playing and he was watching the kids whenever she played. He seemed to improve pretty quickly over the period of the 5 lessons. The package sounds pretty good price wise for beginners who don't want to spend a ton of money at other places for packages

Get some alcohol involved on days you play together?

Next thing you know she was hitting it further than Dean. :alien:

Next thing you know she was hitting it further than Dean. :alien:

I'm a good teacher. Maybe I should listen to myself

My wife recently played with me for maybe the first time in a decade. Here's my take on things having just experienced it myself.

Consider taking her to an executive course (your regular regulation length course will be too hard, too much pressure)...you can treat it as iron practice or something for yourself. Celebrate her successes. Resist the temptation to coach unless she asks. And it is a good time to remember that sometimes it is better to be happy than right :).

Back