Tom Watson Given Special Exemption for US Open

I like it personally. Go Tom.

Tom wouldn't really be taking a spot away from someone, per se. Would he? With a special exemption case, don't they just simply add that ONE spot to the field, instead of taking one away from someone?

I thought that's how that worked. However, I'm not positive.

Tom wouldn't really be taking a spot away from someone, per se. Would he? With a special exemption case, don't they just simply add that ONE spot to the field, instead of taking one away from someone?

I thought that's how that worked. However, I'm not positive.

seriously, its not like they cant add one spot. i do think this would be unfair to invite a random amateur or somebody of that nature, but its tom watson... a little different situation here. in the long run this is not hurting golf. i don't think the general public, especially myself, will ever look back on this and say wow the usga made a huge mistake that ruined golf. things happen for a reason and sometimes the best attitude is just to accept it and watch what happens with an open mind. just my two cents

Here is a question for debate. What if he were to win? While many would think that was a great thing (me included), he did not earn his way in. Does anybody have an issue with that?

Here is a question for debate. What if he were to win? While many would think that was a great thing (me included), he did not earn his way in. Does anybody have an issue with that?

I think when you have the career that Watson has had, you deserve a few breaks in the twilight of your career.

If he wins, then he wins. I wouldn't have a problem w/ it.

But, that's just me.

interesting point. though a case might be made that since he has multiple majors that include 1 us open win, he deserves somewhat of an exempt status anyway. kind of like 25 pga tour wins gets you lifetime status i believe. i mean obviously no other player with a us open victory has this invitation, but also no other us open champion who is still very actively playing and competing closely is 60 years old and towards the end of their playing career. food for thought

Re: Tom Watson Given Special Exemption for US Open

JB said:

I do. Or even if he came dead last. They couldve given it to John daly(example only folks), and it COULD be the tournament to put him back on track. Once again, just an example.

There are so many things to say about what could happen. Just leave it at what it is, and let what happens, happen.

Let Tom in..... The man deserves it with his play these past two years and I bet he makes the cut!

Re: Tom Watson Given Special Exemption for US Open

virtually everyone should know how I feel...

heck....I'm about to drop the cash to go now.

I am fine with Watson getting an exemption, not sure what the rules are for "earning your way in" but his play at The Masters as well as the British Open qualifies him as far as I care. And if his spot actually did bump someone, what are the odds that the eprson bumped would have any sort of shot at even making the cut? Surely a lot worse than Watsons shot.

I think a guy not otherwise qualified that finished 2nd (in a playoff loss) and 14th in his last 2 majors since the last US Open should get consideration for an exemption into the US Open, especially one being held at a venue where he previously won the US Open. It is hard for me to fathom that such a player is taking the place of someone more deserving of the 156th spot, especially when there is a tradition of awarding one such spot in many years to players of past significance. Impossible for him to win? Likely - but I don't think he will be embarassing the committee with poor play either.

There are plenty of exemptions into the U.S. Open. I have no problem with giving one to Tom. Heck, if he wins the Open (and wouldn't that be cool?), we can assume he'd have been able to play his way into it.

has he/would he have not played his way into it already? i mean he did well at the masters and has the 2nd at last years open championship

There are plenty of exemptions into the U.S. Open. I have no problem with giving one to Tom. Heck, if he wins the Open (and wouldn't that be cool?), we can assume he'd have been able to play his way into it.

I completely agree. I would love to see the old guy win, and have no issue with him getting an exemption. Heck, if he did win I think that would completely validate giving him the exemption.

has he/would he have not played his way into it already? i mean he did well at the masters and has the 2nd at last years open championship

No, he would not have qualified....Yet

They let the top 30 from PGA, the top 15 from Europe, why not let the top 10 in from the Champions tour?

Back