Apple iPad. Did you get one?

NO keyboard means no keyboard....and it does come with a keyboard....it's touchscreen.....

Ummm okay. Whatever you say!

You have got to be kidding me! The standard of no keyboard means tactile keys!

Yes no tactile keys. I too was skeptical when I switched over from my old Samsung mobile with full keyboard to the iPhone but after a couple of days you really get used to it. It also has auto complete which is ridiculously accurate that you find yourself not even typing complete words.

The iPad was not meant to compete with netbooks or laptops. Honestly, you can't really compare it to anything. You just have to see what is in the iPad that you want to pay for. It's not for everyone. I think PC companies will follow suit and make one similar to it but you won't see them stop making laptops and netbooks same as Apple who will not stop making iPods or MacBooks.

Yes no tactile keys. I too was skeptical when I switched over from my old Samsung mobile with full keyboard to the iPhone but after a couple of days you really get used to it. It also has auto complete which is ridiculously accurate that you find yourself not even typing complete words.

The iPad was not meant to compete with netbooks or laptops. Honestly, you can't really compare it to anything. You just have to see what is in the iPad that you want to pay for. It's not for everyone. I think PC companies will follow suit and make one similar to it but you won't see them stop making laptops and netbooks same as Apple who will not stop making iPods or MacBooks.

I was the exact opposite. I switched to an IPhone and switched back after about 6 months. I far prefer tactile keys for long emails and some documents. It will work for some, but not for all.

I was the exact opposite. I switched to an IPhone and switched back after about 6 months. I far prefer tactile keys for long emails and some documents. It will work for some, but not for all.

I could see where that could be the case. I was going to say that the iPad is probably not the place to write up essays or novels. :D

I think the question is how is it going to work for anyone if it has no keyboard?

I think the question is how is it going to work for anyone if it has no keyboard?

You have got to be kidding me! You really don't get it do you. You are going to make a lot of people around here very happy in a few minutes. I can see a few smiling already!

I just can't see the point of having an iPad. If I want a tablet pc - I'd go buy a tablet pc. But I have no use, they're more gimmick than useful. If I want a small portable internet appliance, hello netbook or ULPC - more functionality for the same or less. If I want something portable and powerful, look to a full laptop. I recently went out and bought Heather a 17.3" widescreen laptop with an Intel i3 processor, 4gb ram, 320gb drive, dvd-rw, etc, etc for $550. I'd take something like that over an iPad anyday.

For me, the iPad just doesn't make sense. It's an oversized/priced iPhone or iPod Touch for all intents & purposes - but too big to attach to a belt.

1. You can't multi-task on it. Want to watch a video while chatting on skype? Forget it. Want to work on a document while listening to some tunes? too bad.

2. It doesn't have full web functionality. Some sites will not work on it because it is not fully flash compatible.

I like the concept- but until they fix those two things I won't get it. It really is nothing more than a big Iphone. My hope is that the speed and touch screen will be used in the next generation of mac Laptops- with full functionality. Those I will buy.

the early adopters always get hosed, there will be version 2.0 which does much more stuff, for less money, here in about 6 months

as this ipad is currently, I don't see the fuss over it. Too limited in what it can do for now

300,000 units sold the first day......I think that's lower than initial estimates/predictions

Re: Apple iPad. Did you get one?

I heard it was over 800,000 units sold.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Sorry Kevin, I corrected my original post. I meant 300k sold on Day 1

I heard it was over 800,000 units sold.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

The wife and I stopped by Best Buy yesterday to take a look at one, as our family laptop is 4 yrs old and probably going to die soon. Gotta tell ya, impressive. Granted, we wouldnt do any word processing or presentation preps on it, but for an everyday "living room" computer, it would really fill the shoe nicely. An iPad might be in our 3-4 month future outlook, and we will probably wait for the 3G version. We shall see!

Saw a guy using one in McDonalds yesterday, I looked over his shoulder while waiting in the line & am not impressed. Will stick with a laptop for now, but who knows what will happen when they eventually update & refine the i-pad more?

I am going to wait for the 3rd generation. Apple seems to do their best by the 3rd version. The 3GS is the 3rd version and it is pretty darn good.

I also agree with JB regarding the keyboard. I am considering going back to the BB for the regular keyboard. I can type much faster emails when I have the regular keyboard.

When I travel, I usually bring my laptop. It's a 3 year old 15.6" Dell Vostro. A real tank of laptop, not by indrestructablility, just by shear size and weight. This things weighs close to 7 pounds. So for our trip to FL for the outing, I want to bring something that I can check emails and surf the web (update THP too) with. I don't really need anything more than that. My iphone does all of that, but typing and looking at websites for long periods drains the battery and sucks after a while due to the small screen. I don't want to bring my laptop because it's so big.

Enter the ipad. I looked at it a while back, and didn't like how there was no SD slot or USB port. Yesterday though, I found out that there is an adapter you can buy to plug in a camera or SD card. Interest level up.

So I was wondering if anybody had any experience with the ipad and get their thoughts on it. Is it worth it to get one?

When I travel, I usually bring my laptop. It's a 3 year old 15.6" Dell Vostro. A real tank of laptop, not by indrestructablility, just by shear size and weight. This things weighs close to 7 pounds. So for our trip to FL for the outing, I want to bring something that I can check emails and surf the web (update THP too) with. I don't really need anything more than that. My iphone does all of that, but typing and looking at websites for long periods drains the battery and sucks after a while due to the small screen. I don't want to bring my laptop because it's so big.

Enter the ipad. I looked at it a while back, and didn't like how there was no SD slot or USB port. Yesterday though, I found out that there is an adapter you can buy to plug in a camera or SD card. Interest level up.

So I was wondering if anybody had any experience with the ipad and get their thoughts on it. Is it worth it to get one?

They gave me one to breifly test here at work. It was to see if the iPad could replace our laptops. Cost wise it seems to make sense. And like you mention size and weight is a huge advantage too. They wanted to see if I could RDP into my current laptop and do everything from the iPad. In short, no. I think it could work though and if set up correctly. On a personal level, the thing was pretty cool. It was fast, huge beautiful screen and games were awesome. Id think it would be perfect for travel fun and surfing the web. Its the right size. And if you can actually connect something to it like you said, that makes it even better.

Great, that means my cable rates will increase even more with the Big C. they have to pay for those somehow right? lol
They gave me one to breifly test here at work. It was to see if the iPad could replace our laptops. Cost wise it seems to make sense. And like you mention size and weight is a huge advantage too. They wanted to see if I could RDP into my current laptop and do everything from the iPad. In short, no. I think it could work though and if set up correctly. On a personal level, the thing was pretty cool. It was fast, huge beautiful screen and games were awesome. Id think it would be perfect for travel fun and surfing the web. Its the right size. And if you can actually connect something to it like you said, that makes it even better.

Great, that means my cable rates will increase even more with the Big C. they have to pay for those somehow right? lol

Easy now! Not just yet. I shot them down. I gave it two thumbs down for one reason: You couldnt scroll when you remote into something. Id remote into my desktop and then try to scroll through outlook but the whole damn screen would move instead. Deal breaker. But that might have been a short coming of the app too.

That's cool Kev, thanks. I don't need it to do everything, just hand some pics and web and emails. That's I'll I do on a personal level. If I need to do work, then it's laptop for me, but otherwise, this could work.

Saw One on a recent episode of entourage, they had a keyboard connected to it and had a stand for it. it looked very convenient for people on the go

Saw One on a recent episode of entourage, they had a keyboard connected to it and had a stand for it. it looked very convenient for people on the go

Yeah setting up that stand and connecting a keyboard is far more convenient than just carrying a laptop right? hehe

Yeah setting up that stand and connecting a keyboard is far more convenient than just carrying a laptop right? hehe

maybe lighter :banghead:

I'm personally waiting for the next generation of iPad. I want one for FF though lol. My buddy has one and he loves it. The iPad is very durable, his 2 and 4 year old use it all the time and it's still standing.

Back