New video game "The Golf Club"

Someone needs to skip work today, I cant wait for everyone to get off work to hear more about this.

Downloaded this morning. Unfortunately for me I'm walking out the door to go to work. Won't be home till Saturday likely. Anyone wants to add me. I'm Birdie Baron.

Tap talking my way thru the World of golf!

Yea, I won't be playing it until late tonight. Too much to do at work, and then too much to do after work. Also exhausted because I've been staying up late the last 5 nights pounding through a game to get it beat before this came out. But I'm certainly going to add everyone.

~Rock

Any guys on here have it on PC and fancy adding me? None of my steam buddies are golfers! #lonely

I know there are at least a couple on here who had it on PC during early access.

~Rock

Just a heads up, the update seems to have solved the crazy shots wildly left and right using a mouse. Looking good so far.

Watching a twitch feed right now. Finding it hard to stay healthy, feel a 24 hour bug coming on....

~Rock

Any guys on here have it on PC and fancy adding me? None of my steam buddies are golfers! #lonely

I don't have it yet, but may well check it out, assuming my PC can handle it

If I get it I will let you know

What to do with my lunch hour......hmmmmmm, oh, i know, how about some pizza and a round of golf in The Golf Club!

~Rock

Thought the site they linked this morning looked pretty neat as a way to help pick through the user made courses.

Still debating on getting this on PC. Can you play the courses you make and play other players courses? If so, ow is the gameplay compared to the TW PGA Tour games of past?

Still debating on getting this on PC. Can you play the courses you make and play other players courses? If so, ow is the gameplay compared to the TW PGA Tour games of past?

Yes, you can play your own courses, and any that are designed by others.

There will be more comments on gameplay as more people play it here shortly, but to me, it is more simulation and less arcady than TW. As an example, you don't have buttons to push to alter flight or add spin in mid-air the way TW had. The game didn't launch with any "real" courses - so that they don't have to pay licensing fees - but people are already making them in the course designer.

I played the 9 hole official course during lunch. Graphics are not astounding. I'm not saying its a bad thing. After all, this game is a 1.86gb download. It certainly has graphics good enough to rival current-gen machines. Sound is great, its incredibly soothing and sucks you into the game. The 'commentator,' at times, is more like that guy in your cart who teases you just a bit, has a bit of sarcasm, and some encouraging things. He's not Jim Nantz, but Jim Nantz should add more sarcasm to his commentary.

The gameplay is great. It's been said multiple times. This is more sim and less arcade. Despite the many youtube videos of people hitting straight all the time, I found myself hitting the occasional somewhat wild shot. I had some difficulty judging the wind at times. Short game is where I really wasn't great. It seems so difficult to judge partial pitch shots. But at the same time, I found putting to be very natural. There is no power meter. Not that I sank every putt, since I'm getting used to reading the greens, but I found distance control to be pretty easy. Don't know why, but what you see on screen seems very close to how you would putt in real life. I found myself focusing on rhythm more than anything for putting, and I was quite successful with it.

Haven't played with the course creator yet, but I am definitely looking forward to it.

~Rock

I won't be able to fire it up for about another hour. It's killing me.

I have found that the "Official" courses that come from the studio are pretty lackluster. Try one of the better, user created courses before being quite as concerned over the graphics.

From what I have read online the Xbox One lags behind the PC and PS4 in graphics and framerate. Not trying to be a fanboy, it was in one of the reviews I read.

I have found that the "Official" courses that come from the studio are pretty lackluster. Try one of the better, user created courses before being quite as concerned over the graphics.

I took into account that the official course didn't have much going on. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't blow my mind awesome in terms of graphics. Maybe it's because I've been playing Tomb Raider on Xbox one where the environments are just gorgeous to look at. I'm not concerned about the graphics, just thought I'd point it out.

From what I have read online the Xbox One lags behind the PC and PS4 in graphics and framerate. Not trying to be a fanboy, it was in one of the reviews I read.

Xbone runs at 720p. PS4 and PC run at 1080p. In a game like this, the difference would be negligible. I believe PS4 and Xbone are both running at 60fps, except Xbone had to cut the resolution down to get there.

It's not a big deal to me. I'm also not going to get into it on graphics, but most people need to realize some things. If you watch a movie on HBO, it is running at 1080i. If you put in a bluray of that exact same movie at 1080p, you will barely notice a difference (and I mean barely). Now, as another comparison, if you watch a movie at 1080i on HBO, and then switch it to 720p, you probably won't see any difference at all. The times when you notice a difference is with fast moving objects (action/shooter games, action movies). Maybe it's different on bigger TVs, but all of my TVs in the house are 42".

Add to that the difference between current gen and next-gen. The difference wasn't in resolution, it was in shaders. Both consoles received better lighting and shader technology, but neither received a resolution boost.

But that little discussion aside, based on the textures, lighting, and shading, I would expect the game to look pretty much the same if I hooked a PS4 up to my TV.

There were some quirks to the game as well. Shadows were popping in and out on one green (which will throw you off on putting, just like real life). Also, the lobby menu, I don't know what is going on with it, but it is just awful. It takes 30 seconds to even be able to cycle around the menu. Then, for instance, if you goto stats, and then go back to the lobby menu, you have to wait 30 seconds again to be able to use the menu. I'm hoping that is either 1) a bug, or 2) something related it needing to connect to HB Studios, and they are experiencing heavy release day traffic.

~Rock

This one is out to the jury for me. Hard to decide on a $35 spend.

Post some pics up once you start working on creating your own course. Be interesting to see what that feature looks like.

This one is out to the jury for me. Hard to decide on a $35 spend.

Post some pics up once you start working on creating your own course. Be interesting to see what that feature looks like.

Tons of videos on youtube (including tutorials) on the course creator. It is actually the backbone of the entire game.

I'm tearing up the Yuma Desert course right now. Currently +1 after 16.

I'm hoping that loading screen is a result of heavy traffic. Chutting is quite doable.

I've only seen 5 or 6 courses on youtube, but this is one of my favorites of those.

~Rock

I put toad462 earlier, but it might be t0ad462

maybe youtube will convince me to get this. It looks like designing a quality course could take a while. Anyone seen how many hours it would take to create a quality course? I'm sure you could throw one together real quick, but doing it right with in depth would be fun.

maybe youtube will convince me to get this. It looks like designing a quality course could take a while. Anyone seen how many hours it would take to create a quality course? I'm sure you could throw one together real quick, but doing it right with in depth would be fun.

You can generate a completely new course in mere seconds but then spend countless hours tweaking it to your liking.

Here is an early video of the course creator. Since this video they've added even more options.

Back