Wife wants to try golf...???

That's really great to hear :) When we play together, maybe the wife can come along and play as well. I'd love to play with other ladies!!

That's great to hear! Look for Square 2s. Good women's clubs, and you can probably get them used.

I hope my experience is as good as yours was with your wife. I am hoping to take mine out for the first time on Saturday. I picked up a set of square two ladies club for my wife from austads for about 150. Not too bad I didn't think.

So we went to the range yesterday, and I was accurate as I've ever been. Hitting the 90, 125, and 150 greens with straight and draw shots. I was quite pleased.

My wife, however, felt like she took a step backwards. Dont know what was wrong, but her attitude was that of frustration. Towards the end of the session, she was making decent contact, but she was just really disappointed in herself. I used the opportunity to encourage her to take lessons, and she agreed!! So now, I have an instructor lined up and ready to go. I'm glad she's decided to do this, I can only help so much, and want our time to be fun time. :clapp:

Sacul1573, I think that was a good call. To me lessons are often better handled by a non-spouse. I hope you and your wife end up enjoying playing this great game together as much as my wife and I do. We’re going out Saturday afternoon to play for the first time this year!

Sacul1573, I think that was a good call. To me lessons are often better handled by a non-spouse. I hope you and your wife end up enjoying playing this great game together as much as my wife and I do. We’re going out Saturday afternoon to play for the first time this year!

I completely agree, she's just incredibly "fiscally conservative" (aka, cheap). She looks at me and says "if you learned it by yourself, why cant I?". I held back the urge to let her know how many hours a week I spend at the range over lunch and before getting into work...

The BF and I play golf a lot together. Its fun to do these things together and it took him a while to backoff on the unsolitied advice. Even though we now have the same instructor, it still works! He's got his own stuff to work on and well, ha, for me, I'm all starting from scratch, LOL!

...I held back the urge to let her know how many hours a week I spend at the range over lunch and before getting into work...

Very smart move! :act-up:

I taught my girlfriend how to play a few years ago. I purchased a cheap used set of ladies irons of eBay, followed with a Wilson Hope Driver, Putter and a cheap 5 wood from Dicks. We started off going to the range 2 or 3 times a week. After about 6 weeks or so I took her on a Par 3 course. On her first hole she chipped in and from that moment on she has been hooked. After the first year I got her a set of adams irons that she tested and picked out. 4 years later we play almost 3 times a week together. We won a couples league last year. Also this past month she shot her best score ever 92(46/46)!! The bonus to all of this is, whenever I want to look at new equipment, or try to sneak in a quick 9, she doesn't mind, heck usually she joins me.

I taught my girlfriend how to play a few years ago. I purchased a cheap used set of ladies irons of eBay, followed with a Wilson Hope Driver, Putter and a cheap 5 wood from Dicks. We started off going to the range 2 or 3 times a week. After about 6 weeks or so I took her on a Par 3 course. On her first hole she chipped in and from that moment on she has been hooked. After the first year I got her a set of adams irons that she tested and picked out. 4 years later we play almost 3 times a week together. We won a couples league last year. Also this past month she shot her best score ever 92(46/46)!! The bonus to all of this is, whenever I want to look at new equipment, or try to sneak in a quick 9, she doesn't mind, heck usually she joins me.

You sir, have it all. Congrats on an awesome partner for life! :thumb:

You sir, have it all. Congrats on an awesome partner for life! :thumb:

Its fun playing golf together :) Esp. when you beat your S.O :good: I have, but only twice!! :clapp:

Its fun playing golf together :) Esp. when you beat your S.O :good: I have, but only twice!! :clapp:

I wish I could get my wife to play golf, but she wants no part of it. She likes to watch sports but doesn't like playing. She prefers to spend time in the gym. Luckily my sons will play golf with me and love their sports.

marry her now!!!!

i taught my girlfriend how to play a few years ago. I purchased a cheap used set of ladies irons of ebay, followed with a wilson hope driver, putter and a cheap 5 wood from dicks. We started off going to the range 2 or 3 times a week. After about 6 weeks or so i took her on a par 3 course. On her first hole she chipped in and from that moment on she has been hooked. After the first year i got her a set of adams irons that she tested and picked out. 4 years later we play almost 3 times a week together. We won a couples league last year. Also this past month she shot her best score ever 92(46/46)!! The bonus to all of this is, whenever i want to look at new equipment, or try to sneak in a quick 9, she doesn't mind, heck usually she joins me.

the wife wants no part of golf, but she has never had a problem with me playing or buying golf gear in moderation. her view is it beats me hanging out at bars or strip clubs pissing our money away! :angel:

I played golf with a friend tonight - her husband doesn't play golf, but loves that she has something she loves. Of course, he's also happy because it allows him to pursue his own hobbies.

hmmm maybe, ok put a big rock on her finger and set a date in say 2025? that gives you at least 15 good years of golf with benefits! :angel:

I wonder if that happens if the whole golf addiction thing will change...

Well, wife had her first lesson today, and she didnt come back hating golf, so hey, mission accomplished. I'm kidding, she was actually very excited, and really like the instructor. He's a nice guy, been playing since 2 years old, and he and I have actually played together a few times for a few holes...

He said her grip, stance, posture were all good, and that she needs to work on taking her wrists out of her swing, and her tendancy to lean back behind the ball on the downswing. So, now she's committed to going out a few times a week and practicing what she's learned. She'll probably use the BirdieBalls at the park a few times, and meet me at a range close to our house one night this week after work.

Seems like she really wants to do this, which is super exciting for me!:clapp:

Well, wife had her first lesson today, and she didnt come back hating golf, so hey, mission accomplished. I'm kidding, she was actually very excited, and really like the instructor. He's a nice guy, been playing since 2 years old, and he and I have actually played together a few times for a few holes...

He said her grip, stance, posture were all good, and that she needs to work on taking her wrists out of her swing, and her tendancy to lean back behind the ball on the downswing. So, now she's committed to going out a few times a week and practicing what she's learned. She'll probably use the BirdieBalls at the park a few times, and meet me at a range close to our house one night this week after work.

Seems like she really wants to do this, which is super exciting for me!:clapp:

Good for you fellow cheesehead. I enjoy playing with my woman. What's fun is blaming your spouse for bad shots.

Kevin

Good for you fellow cheesehead. I enjoy playing with my woman. What's fun is blaming your spouse for bad shots.

Kevin

Oh yes--that's particularly fun for the spouse. :rolleyes:

Oh yes--that's particularly fun for the spouse. :rolleyes:

You do realize that I'm actually quite nice to my wife on the golf course?

If she stays quiet and out of my way. LOL.

Kevin

Another quality THP thread...LOL.

Although my father was a huge avid golfer, I had zero interest in playing golf until my husband bought me lessons/clubs 12 years ago...granted there have been times when we have looked for a divorce attorney at the turn... it's still one of the best thing we did. He says he likes playing with me 'cause I play like a guy ....I think there's a compliment in there somewhere.

So, kudos to the guys who want to play golf w. their wife/girlfriend. But don't think you have us fooled...your real motive is to be able to play more often w/o getting grief :)

But don't think you have us fooled...your real motive is to be able to play more often w/o getting grief :)

And then when your kid(s) play you can play even more. It's awesome.

Kevin

I have gotten my wife really interested in playing the last few years. She just needs to get a few lessons. Now both of our kids, my son is 8 and my daughter is 6 are starting to play. Really turning into a family sport in this house

Like I've mentioned in this post I taught my g/f to play. Well yesterday on a cold/rainy/windy day it wasn't pretty. Through 7 holes I was only up by 1 shot. Luckily I finished strong playing @ +2 over the last 4 holes. I had a horrible start and she got off to a great start playing the first 3 holes at +2. For the first time since we started playing together(5 years) she had a legit chance to beat me. Luckily I escaped.

Back