THP Golf Leagues & Weekly Events Thread

Played our league match last night (4 people on a team, 2 groups of 2-man scramble match play against the other team). I came out hot, but it was academic as our opponents were pretty weak. We won 5-Up and our other team won 6-Up for 9 holes (we play out the 9 regardless). This league is such a crap shoot as to quality of play. We have buried several teams like we did yesterday, but we have also run into some tough opponents that have beaten us. It does appear we will make the play-offs though. One week to go in the regular season.

We shot one over 36 in a two man scramble. We are right smack in the middle of the B Flight (ABCD in this league). Wanted to get to A, but those guys are too good.

Finished second in our league for the first half (the winners of both halves play each other in an 18 hole match at the end of the season). Given that we finished in last place last year, I'll take that. Had a chance to get enough points the week before against one of the teams that were ahead of us, but it was a bit of a grind and we halved both matches.

We are flighted for the rest of the season, like about ten more weeks, and we are in the B flight. We played Best ball and shot two over. Bogeyed three straight holes at one point.

They put our Director of Golf Operations and his buddy in the B flight because we had a team drop put. (They don't play in the leqague, just with the league).

First time I ever played with him, as my partner and I got them in the pairing. It is so fun and cool to watch a pro play. He is obviously rusty, since golf pros for the most part don't play much. But he cpou;d putt. Drained a 30 footer for birdie on the first hole and was only in danger of three putting one time, and he made a six footer to keep that from happening! But it was just like you see on TV. Anywhere on the green was a gimmee two putt for him. Awesome to watch.

My best shot of the day was a 90 yard uphill 9 iron to 3 feet. I said to him to try to beat that, and he put a 60 yard shot to half that! Effing jerk, hahaha. I did make my birdie putt though.

He gave me a few things to work on, which really messed my game up tonight, hahaha.

Its play-off time for us. We played yesterday afternoon. Our opponents only ended up with 3 people so we knew one of our teams was likely to win. That meant all my half had to do was win and we'd be on to the next round. Frankly, it should have been easier than it was, but we got it done 1-Up and moved on. I hit my driver amazingly well (and long!), but couldn't get anything else right. I've got to figure that out.

Somehow my team is in 2nd place and I have played god awful for the past 10 weeks. Some holes I have to pick up my ball just because there is no point to keep hitting it. I have 1 GIR and maybe 2 pars out of 100 attempts. I feel almost embarrassed to be in the playoffs. It's just the way that it has played out.

We're in first place so far in the second half. Led the last 3 weeks. Had a rough outing yesterday as my partner got jabbed with a catfish barb middle of his back while fishing in the morning. Had to yank it out with pliers so he played poorly. Luckily out opponents didn't play well either. At least my handicap is dropping...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This afternoon is my last match in my individual league. I'm sitting in second place in my 8 person bracket with a 2-2-1 record. The leader has a 4-2 record and is done with his matches. I can't catch him. If I can win my match tonight I should finish in the top 10 in points though in the flight. My two losses were each by 1 hole only, so I did earn maximum points for a loss. I've got to have a win tonight if I want to be high enough in the flight standings to make the end of season tournament which will be on 8/23.

This afternoon is my last match in my individual league. I'm sitting in second place in my 8 person bracket with a 2-2-1 record. The leader has a 4-2 record and is done with his matches. I can't catch him. If I can win my match tonight I should finish in the top 10 in points though in the flight. My two losses were each by 1 hole only, so I did earn maximum points for a loss. I've got to have a win tonight if I want to be high enough in the flight standings to make the end of season tournament which will be on 8/23.

Good luck out there today, get into that tourney!

I'm currently in 3rd place (B flight) in my league. The two guys ahead of me have really high handicaps & are playing better as the season goes on, so I've had a hard time making up ground on them. In this league you get an extra point for a legit (no handicap) birdie, so I'm going to have to start making some to beat these guys. So - no pressure (lol)!
:golf3:

Well, I ran into a buzz saw in my league match this afternoon. I had my saw working well to but it wasn't enough. Opponent won 6 holes, I won 4 holes and we tied 8 holes. I was giving 6 strokes and my opponent shot 80, I shot a 74.

The only way I'll make the end of season tourney now would be as an alternate. Final points will be tallied next week and I'll see what my chances of getting in. I hate to miss it as the tourney is at my home course this year. Would have been a nice advantage knowing the course. Will have to wait and see if I can get in.

That sucks Barry but you played phenomenally, well done man.

74 is pretty awesome. Congrats!

Found out today that I made the playoffs in my golf league. We missed winning our division the first half by 1.5 points and lost the second half by more, but got in on total points. Should be fun playing at least one more week of competitive play.

I shot a 44 tonight & finished in second place to get into a 4-man playoff (over two weeks: 9 holes each week). I'm looking forward to doing this! My game is as good as it's ever been. My misses are pretty manageable now - only two stray shots (3 wood behind a tree cost me a stroke, and Driver OB right cost two strokes). I'm starting to feel confident about hitting the green from longer distances. Too bad my golf season will be coming to an end over the winter!

Last edited:
It's our last night for the Men's League. It's a fun night/tournament since the final standings were done last week. We finished a spot out of the money in the B (2nd) flight, 6th place, right in the middle.

I shot a 44 tonight & finished in second place to get into a 4-man playoff (over two weeks: 9 holes each week). I'm looking forward to doing this! My game is as good as it's ever been. My misses are pretty manageable now - only two stray shots (3 wood behind a tree cost me a stroke, and Driver OB right cost two strokes). I'm starting to feel confident about hitting the green from longer distances. Too bad my golf season will be coming to an end over the winter!

Well...what was I saying about how good I've been playing? I guess I shouldn't have tempted the golf gods, because I went out & shot a horrid 55 - including my first 10 on a hole this year. The lowlights included 1 OB, 4 sand shots and 22 putts (sorry SeeMore & SPi)! As far as putting goes, I think the main problem was I had been practicing the past 2 weeks on a par three course with really slow greens, & I just couldn't adjust quickly enough.

The only positive note is the other 3 guys played worse than I did, but their handicaps are higher, so I don't know how I stand yet.

I haven't been in a playoff in a league before, and I didn't really feel like I was under a lot of pressure. In fact, after watching the other 3 guys hit during the opening hole, I felt pretty confident that I was gonna dust them. Man, I was so bummed & mad at myself. I hit 5 shots behind or under trees & had to punch out or hit wedges around them. The last shot was at least a satisfying end to this crappy round:

The 18th hole is a 190-yard par three over a lake & a big sand trap with a raised lip (5-6 feet). I hit 3W to within three feet (of course I missed the sidehill, downhill birdie putt!).

I'm just wondering if watching the other guys chop it around might have affected me more than I ever imagined. For example, there were times when I had to witness 4 straight topped balls into a pond 20 yards away - before I could hit.

It just feels like I played down to their level, but maybe I couldn't handle the expectations I put on myself. Has anyone else ever gone through something like this? Hopefully next Monday I'll be able to go out early & do a proper warmup, then just focus on smooth swing & good tempo & hope for the best.

Our regular season ended last night and I finished in third. We have a three week playoff with 8 guys in it.

Finished the 2-week playoff in a tie for first, but lost on a tiebreaker. But - the good news is I shot a personal best 42 on the front nine! 3 pars, 5 bogeys, & 1 double. Just a very solid round. Missed 2 short (6 foot or less) sidehill putts for birdies.

What I've noticed is when I scored better this year, it's because my misses are still pretty good. If I eliminate the awful shots & play smart, I should be able to shoot in the 80's - certainly low 90's.

Here's how the scoring broke down:

Player #1: 68 & 69 = 137 raw score (51 points)
Me: 55 & 42 = 97 raw score (51 points)
Player #3: 54 & 55 = 109 " " (49 points)
Player #4: 52 & 60 = 112 " " (42 points)

So I don't feel bad about losing the tiebreaker - I was just giving up too many HC strokes. I think I cut 5-6 strokes off each nine in this league from the beginning of the year (not positive but I think my starting HC average for the 9 we played tonight was 51 at the beginning of the year & it's 46 now).

Too bad this season had to end just as I was starting to score better!

You improved a lot this year! Congrats on the great finish

You improved a lot this year! Congrats on the great finish

Thanks! This is the first time in a long while that I've played more than 9 holes per week - it makes a huge difference! (Although my wife is not so geeked up over this improvement haha!) Practicing lots of short game stuff has paid off too!

Congrats on the pb jeff

I won the first round of my playoffs for my league tonight. I was really good on some holes and really bad on others. I had 2 birdies and a par, along with 3 double bogeys. Mr. Consistent!!
I had a 43 and the guy I was playing had a 45, it was the worst I have ever seen him shoot. But I made it to round 2, that's all that matters.

Our Painted Hills Wednesday night Men's League (9 holes) starts tomorrow. It has 96 players and 48 alternates and closes down the course each week. You play the front nine one week and the back nine the next. Tomorrow is a two man scramble from the whites. My partner and I went out and played a whole round in scramble format since he didn't know quite what to expect. We shot +7 on the front (UGH) and +2 on the back, which is where we play tomorrow.

Four times a year we have a night where the alternates play so we have 144 people on the course (6 per group).

Back