Ping G30 Driver - THP Review Thread

May be I missed it, but who won the G30 driver in the recent comment contest?

That would be me. And I'm extremely excited about it. Can't wait to put it in play.

Took my first voyage with this today. Extremely impressed still. Dont know if it is as long as my i25 however it is much more forgiving and very close on distance. It is also a good bit shorter than the i25 length wise.

Went with 44.5 with a Fuji Fuel 60X in it. Launches perfectly and seems to spin just the right amount for me at least to my eye. I did turn the 9 degree down to 8 and it seems to be a good match for me thus far.

Played mine today for the first time! 44 1/4 8.4* d5 sw fujikura vc 6.2 tour spec. Love it you have to hit hard thru the ball or I will get a leaker to the right(toe weighted) so when I go after it I hit some nice bombs! Very forgiving!

Good range session with the g30 tonight. It is firmly in the bag! I just can't miss with this thing! My big miss to the right with my 913 d3 is non existent with this club.

The 10.5* head paired with the tour 65 xstiff shaft gives me a perfect ball flight

That would be me. And I'm extremely excited about it. Can't wait to put it in play.

Big Congratulation to you afwcardinal. Hope you have many hours of fun with it....lucky duck! :alien:

Had a great weekend with the G30 paired with the Tour 65 shaft. This is just been the right combo for me. I can still get sloppy with the swing from time to time and nothing can fix a totally bad swing, but the general mishit off-center that is my average driving game works like a champ--a ton of decent results off of the typical amateur golf I play. There is the occasional WOW drive when the stars align and I catch everything flush, but this thing shines in getting the ball down the fairway despite the imperfect hits.

Finally got a chance to swing this over the weekend. I must say I came away quite impressed. The Tour 65 shaft felt great and the sound was quite pleasing to the ear. I could easily put in the bag and get great results.

My biggest gripe was the head size. But a good friend told me that after a few rounds is wouldn't even notice it, and I am pretty sure he is right.

I find that I can really hammer the ball with the G30 without 'stepping on it' which is interesting. The more fluid swings generate the best results, and more often than not it heads straight towards the line I am aiming towards. I can hit draws and fades, but the natural result seems far more inclined to go straight and I love that. Workability is overrated.

I really wish my fairways were more firm. I'd like to see just how far I can push this club with a good solid hop. With the wetter, softer grounds of Ohio fall, I'm not seeing any rollout at all with the exception of maybe once or twice each round.

I find that I can really hammer the ball with the G30 without 'stepping on it' which is interesting. The more fluid swings generate the best results, and more often than not it heads straight towards the line I am aiming towards. I can hit draws and fades, but the natural result seems far more inclined to go straight and I love that. Workability is overrated.

I really wish my fairways were more firm. I'd like to see just how far I can push this club with a good solid hop. With the wetter, softer grounds of Ohio fall, I'm not seeing any rollout at all with the exception of maybe once or twice each round.

I'm finding the same thing Dan. When I make a smooth swing this thing just kills it. It holds well otherwise too, but that's where it really shines for me. Terrible round yesterday, but not due to anything but me. Swing was just out of whack. Had a funky two way miss going on but only lost one ball to penalty off the tee.

Played it with the loft set to 11.5˚ to try and get some more height out of it. did see a little more height, but no appreciable distance increase. Could definitely be swing related though. Put it back to 10.5˚ and saw more of the same that made me buy it in the first place. Trajectory is a little lower than I'm used to but I'm seeing a much straighter ball flight and I was able to really pipe a couple. May be a little of an issue as it gets cooler & wetter in the mornings, but I don't want to mess with it if it's working.

Has anyone tried any after market shafts in the G30 yet? I have the tour 65 but this might be my next move to swap this out?

I'm finding the same thing Dan. When I make a smooth swing this thing just kills it. It holds well otherwise too, but that's where it really shines for me. Terrible round yesterday, but not due to anything but me. Swing was just out of whack. Had a funky two way miss going on but only lost one ball to penalty off the tee.

Played it with the loft set to 11.5˚ to try and get some more height out of it. did see a little more height, but no appreciable distance increase. Could definitely be swing related though. Put it back to 10.5˚ and saw more of the same that made me buy it in the first place. Trajectory is a little lower than I'm used to but I'm seeing a much straighter ball flight and I was able to really pipe a couple. May be a little of an issue as it gets cooler & wetter in the mornings, but I don't want to mess with it if it's working.

You'll get the swing back my friend.

Interesting about the launch. Are you gaming it with the tour or the stock TFC?

Has anyone tried any after market shafts in the G30 yet? I have the tour 65 but this might be my next move to swap this out?

Not something I've done bigmcclarron. If you do, I hope you share your thoughts.

Not something I've done bigmcclarron. If you do, I hope you share your thoughts.
Of course, just trying to work out what to try first! I had UST avixcore tour black in my SLDR and that worked quite well, might be worth taking the tip off that first and trying it

Of course, just trying to work out what to try first! I had UST avixcore tour black in my SLDR and that worked quite well, might be worth taking the tip off that first and trying it

Keep in mind, two different head profiles, it may not perform the same as what you saw with the SLDR.

You'll get the swing back my friend.

Interesting about the launch. Are you gaming it with the tour or the stock TFC?

Thanks. I'm actually gaming the TFC. Coming off an extended period with the B Asha 5S and had no issues with the stock stiff. Like I said, my swing was wonky so it's hard to cast any solid opinion on it just yet. If I ever get a minute between work & life I'm gonna take it out to the range and figure out what setting should work best. To be honest though the stock setting has kept me in play just fine with solid distance. Even if the height I saw with the B Asha / X2 Hot combo was a little higher. I've definitely been in play more with the G30.

Finally got a chance to swing this over the weekend. I must say I came away quite impressed. The Tour 65 shaft felt great and the sound was quite pleasing to the ear. I could easily put in the bag and get great results.

My biggest gripe was the head size. But a good friend told me that after a few rounds is wouldn't even notice it, and I am pretty sure he is right.

Did you have a chance to get any comparison with the Cally? Distance? Directional forgiveness? Curious...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got out to the range with with this today. First swing set the tone pretty well for what I wanted for my first experience other than in a store. Nice ball flight with a little draw, right into the net at the end of the range. And I had to take a picture of it. Just off toward the toe, and still loved it.
View attachment 16326
The ball flight was what I thought I was seeing at Golfsmith a few weeks. That was with the standard seeing.
I was really just wanting to get comfortable with the feel of the club today. Played around with the settings some, went -0.6 & -1 to compare ball flights. Next time it I will go to the plus side.
I also was looking at the forgiveness of it. I remember Dan talking about hitting it out toward the toe and the little draw he was seeing, but I did not remember what happened if hit on the heel. So I tried a few and I really like the amount of forgiveness there. Yes, the distance loss was significant, but it would still be in the fairway.
I'm very happy with what I have seen with this driver in one short range session. Hope to get it there again later in the week and put in some good quality time and find the right setting for me. I think I have already seen it, but I want to play around with it some.

Thanks. I'm actually gaming the TFC. Coming off an extended period with the B Asha 5S and had no issues with the stock stiff. Like I said, my swing was wonky so it's hard to cast any solid opinion on it just yet. If I ever get a minute between work & life I'm gonna take it out to the range and figure out what setting should work best. To be honest though the stock setting has kept me in play just fine with solid distance. Even if the height I saw with the B Asha / X2 Hot combo was a little higher. I've definitely been in play more with the G30.

What do you think the likelihood is of finding a Ping adapter for that B.Asha soon?

Did you have a chance to get any comparison with the Cally? Distance? Directional forgiveness? Curious...

Sorry it's so late getting back to you, I saw pretty similar results to the Alpha. Distance was similar, it did have some good dispersion and misses were not very penal at all. I would have to spend a little more time with it but I could certainly see me not missing a beat if it was in the bag tomorrow.

I hit the G30 tonight on a simulator up against my J40 445 9.5*. The G30 (9*) was equipped with the TFC Tour X shaft and my J40 with a Speeder VC 6.2 stiff, so theres already some variable. I have to say, I was disappointed with the Ping. I was finding faster swing speeds with the J40 and longer carry distances while I was totally expecting to see the opposite. SS with the Ping didn't get above 101, while I was able to manage up to 104 with the J40. Also, I didn't find the Ping to feel all that forgiving, I was expecting so much more out of it. This is coming right off the heels of me trying to sell the J40, but my swings as of late, have been putting me in the fairway even on mis-hits. I really wanted to like this thing but it looks like I will be passing on purchasing one. Hope you all have better luck!

What do you think the likelihood is of finding a Ping adapter for that B.Asha soon?

B Asha was sold as part of the financing for this buy. To be honest though I'm pretty satisfied with the stock setup. Not saying I won't tinker, but this should be plenty to get me through the offseason.

Just went to a ping fitting day, spoke to him about shafts so he put me on track man. Hit a lot of options but kept going back to my tour 65, 2500 back spin and 105 swing speed. So good that my friend ordered the sf tec with the tour 65 shaft!

Just went to a ping fitting day, spoke to him about shafts so he put me on track man. Hit a lot of options but kept going back to my tour 65, 2500 back spin and 105 swing speed. So good that my friend ordered the sf tec with the tour 65 shaft!

I think I got lucky with not having an official fitting on this one--between the store models and the Demos we had at the Club the tour 65 just outperformed everything else. I took the extra step of trying a shaft I had been recommended by a fitter but on a different club and the tour 65 still beat it also. I have not gone so far as to put it on trackman, but I am going to stop overanalyzing the clubs that are working for me and be happy for at least a month :alien:

Got to hit my new G30 on the range today. Laser straight and super easy to hit well. I'm upgrading from a Ping G5. The ball flight on this G30 is much better...a super penetrating path rather than the high arc of the G5. The bigger face and head are oozing w/ confidence. Loving it!!!

Back