Club adjustability - how much do you REALLY use it?

I'm more of a test it, set it, forget it kind of guy.

The most I have adjusted one is my BB driver, I played with the loft mostly and actually ended up lowering the loft and setting and forgetting it. I love having the options though.

I guess an additional question to throw in here would be, do you think too much adjustability can overcomplicate things?
Yes, the Nickent CYG (Control Your Game) adapter has - according to Nickent - 26 settings. That's 26 settings crammed on an approximately 1 inch circumference adapter. It's atrocious. The "manual" it comes with sucks too ... so I basically have it set on neutral. No idea how I'm supposed to get that 1.5* increase in loft as it's not even designated on the adapter itself*.

*Just found an image which explains it ... oddly it's not in the manual that came with the club.

With the R1 I was always playing with chasing a perfect setting and having the app made things worse. With my RFE I set it once and haven't touched it since. I like the simple system Ping uses. Other than playing around with shafts I prefer a fixed hosel give my an 8.5 or 9 degree driver and I'm good. I must say adjustability in hybrids are a turn off and I tend to stay away from them.

to me, this last thing am's need is something more to mess with their heads. To the OEM's, they just need something more to sell to the public. People think a bright and shiny new driver will cure them of anything and everything.... why? I fall into the trap as well. If they are going to keep with this mantra and at the same time say they have the 'average golfer in mind', then the adapter should be one size fits all.

Set it and forget it. Lesson learned - regrip the club AFTER setting and forgetting.
LOL! Totally true. I'm ususally a set it and forget it guy but I made some swing changes over the fall/winter and this spring decided to recalibrate my driver adjustments the week after I put on a new grip - D'oh!

Yes, the Nickent CYG (Control Your Game) adapter has - according to Nickent - 26 settings. That's 26 settings crammed on an approximately 1 inch circumference adapter. It's atrocious. The "manual" it comes with sucks too ... so I basically have it set on neutral. No idea how I'm supposed to get that 1.5* increase in loft as it's not even designated on the adapter itself*.

*Just found an image which explains it ... oddly it's not in the manual that came with the club.

Its actually considered one of the best adapters ever released FWIW.

I adjust for loft until I'm happy and leave it there. With anything Nike I'll set to my desired face angle too.

I don't think it's complicated at all, but people are. Higher/lower/lefter/righter then I'm good to go. It's not like my tendencies change on a weekly basis.

Its actually considered one of the best adapters ever released FWIW.
The adapter may be great, the "manual" that comes with it leaves something to be desired and - to date - has negatively impacted my view of the adapter. Now that I found that image, my opinion may change for the better. Overall, I love my F26 and F26Ti woods (for $17.50 each thanks to a DSG deep discount, how could I not?) with their UST Mamiya ATTAS3 shafts ... just wish Nickent had treated the manual for the club with as much precision as they obviously did in the clubs construction.

I use mine on the biocell driver since I'm trying to find a setting that works for me. But my other adjustable clubs, nope set where I feel comfortable and that's that.

The adapter may be great, the "manual" that comes with it leaves something to be desired and - to date - has negatively impacted my view of the adapter. Now that I found that image, my opinion may change for the better. Overall, I love my F26 and F26Ti woods (for $17.50 each thanks to a DSG deep discount, how could I not?) with their UST Mamiya ATTAS3 shafts ... just wish Nickent had treated the manual for the club with as much precision as they obviously did in the clubs construction.

To be fair, I don't know that it is the same adapter as it was when Nickent was actually Nickent and not a DSG whatever it is now.

Which still makes me sad. Hoeffy WAS Nickent.

I guess an additional question to throw in here would be, do you think too much adjustability can overcomplicate things? Judging by some of the replies, I would think we might have a lot of yes's on that.
Absolutely... There was a span of a month with the r1 when I really thought the driver would fix any bad miss and I stopped thinking about my swing and more about the "adjustable technology" which can overcomplicate things....

i never use it and most people i play with once they get their setting don't change it. thats one thing i like about my g25 simple adjustment

I know sometimes it seems like "well hell, they put it there, it must mean I need to be using it!".

LOL! This is exactly what I said when I got my Alpha! "Well....they gave me all of these weights and this gravity core thing to play with. I might as well adjust everything." Ended up changing the loft and that was it. But there are so many places to put that wrench and adjust.....sometimes it's a temptation that can't be denied. Hence, why I game the Bio Cell + now.

I use it once a year, in the spring, when the golf season ramps up. I seem to come out with a new swing every year, so that's when I set it (it may take 2 or 3 times of adjustment to fine tune to my swing for the year).

Since I can't seem to replicate my swing year in and year out, I refuse to give up on adjustability, but I'm not the guy in the parking lot with wrench in hand, pondering how soft the fairways are and wind speed.

~Rock

Mine is always set on neutral when I do use it. Nice to be able to quickly and easily change shafts but that is the only advantage I see for my game.

Last edited:
I guess I'm like most people here. I usually set it once and rarely change it except for maybe loft once or twice.

I can't help but wonder if this is why we have seen some REDUCE the amount of adjustability in their clubs from previous models, or at least simplify it (R1 to SLDR).

I think it matters less that I use it today but that I used it when I bought/got fit, if that makes sense. If not for the adjustments available on a given driver, I might have put that driver back on the rack and gone with something different, hypothetically. But when they can be adjusted to suit more swings, a given club can end up in more bags.

I adjust my BB frequently.... I leave the hosel in the neutral setting and before the round depending if I have lower or mid back pain adjust the sliding weight accordingly.
Lower back pain= draw setting
mid back pain= full fade setting.
No pain= neutral

I used it quite a bit when I had my R1. I like how easy it is to try a different shaft. I had a couple of heavier weights I put in to keep the swing weight the same when I shortened the shaft a little. Was nice not to have to deal with lead tape or hotmelt. I didn't play with the loft much. My instructor told me to put it at 8º so I kept it there.

With the SLDR I left the sliding weight in the default position. I have changed the loft on it though. I started with a mid launching shaft at 9.5º and when I went to the Black Tie I changed the loft to 10.5º.

I do like having options, now that I have found what works for me I doubt I will change it anytime soon.

Not a lot anymore. When I first got them, I adjusted between shots! Now it's only rarely. I don't think I have changed my settings at all this entire season.

Ronco it....set it and forget it.

My driver was set up by Stoney at the TMAG Kingdom 3 years ago. I tried a little change once and didn't like it, so it went back to the original setting and has been there ever since.

I found I really don't need it. I know what works for me. The one thing I'd like to see more of is adjustable length putters.

Once I get a club set up all I play with is the loft settings depending on course conditions

Back